Brianna Wu’s Studio Drops Out Of PAX East Due To Security Concerns

Rafy

The developer decided to forgo attending the event following the release of videos by two people in Massachusetts threatening to kill her. 

An official announcement on the GSX website explains that after consideration and listening to staff concerns, Wu decided the company should not attend the convention.

"Working a PAX show floor means interacting with thousands of strangers a day for three days. Given that two of our most serious threats have come right here in Massachusetts, that threat is something I must take seriously as a leader. In addition to threats of violence, my team is frightened of being harassed by Gamergate supporters."

When asked by Polygon about the decision, Wu replied saying:

"The reason is pretty straightforward. Two people here in Massachusetts have made videos with threats explicitly threatening to murder me. Law enforcement has not arrested anyone, and PAX East is not responding to our security concerns. We don't feel safe. A lot of our employees have families."

It's no news about the videos, those came out weeks ago but her studio dropping out was announced a little less than a day ago. Here is a tidbit from the official statement:

That said, I have personally been frustrated in trying to communicate with PAX about our security concerns. I called them on three occasions trying to talk to them about security concerns, and did not have my calls returned. I was able to attend both Arisia and Boskone, events taking place at the hotel next to PAX, with the help of their security teams. I’d hoped to come to a similar arrangement with PAX East. 

PAX is a big event, and I’m certain it was not a conscious decision on their part to ignore us. After posting our decision to withdraw, PAX East did get in touch with me, and attending in 2016 will be a different story. I think the PAX Enforcers are awesome, and I think it’s a safe event in general for people. 

But it doesn’t feel safe to us. 

This is just horrible, crap like that should not be happening. No one deserves to have their life threatened.

Source: http://www.gamebreaker.tv/news-main/pc-2/brianna-wus-studio-drops-pax-east-saftey-concerns/

Official Statement: http://spacechannel6.com/post/111384260988/why-gsx-is-withdrawing-from-pax-east

-snip-

She cited herslef and a TV show as sources. This is nothing more than a damn PR stunt. No one should have their life threatened, but neither should anyone be trying to capitalize on such a thing.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I read the first quote and was like "This is probably a publicity stunt".

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I tried to keep myself out of gamergate on purpose. Publicity stunt or not, It's considered news and what I do is report it, that's all.

I tried to keep myself out of gamergate on purpose.

Publicity stunt or not, It's considered news and what I do is report it, that's all.

And left you utterly clueless on the subject matter, apparently.

It's not news, it's a PR stunt. Which means by reporting on it, you're perpetuating it.

God this shit makes my blood boil.

EDIT;

not this crap again ffs

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

She cited herslef and a TV show as sources. This is nothing more than a damn PR stunt. No one should have their life threatened, but neither should anyone be trying to capitalize on such a thing.

Yep; she's still going to get praise and be called a hero for this. So dumb, man.

And left you utterly clueless on the subject matter, apparently.

It's not news, it's a PR stunt. Which means by reporting on it, you're perpetuating it.

God this shit makes my blood boil.

It's semi-relevant-news. It's cool, least imo.

OK, my bad. looks like I should have known better. Mods can go ahead and lock the topic.

No need to shoot the messenger...

Lololol.

Wu is a fucking nutjob.

She/he/it is a career professional victim.

Stop even mentioning her/him/it and her/him/it will fade into a much deserved and needed obscurity.

:rolleyes:

While i guess this is considered "news" to some people, to most of us that paid attention during the pointless GamerGate fiasco, this is nothing new to me. PAX probably did not take her security issues seriously because there was nothing to take seriously. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

No need to shoot the messenger...

And I normally wouldn't. But after gamergate's destructive force we really should scrutinize these people more and not report on these fake threats.

You're enabling them, just by reporting it.

These people are evil.

This isn't news.

Should probably move this to console gaming section or something.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I tried to keep myself out of gamergate on purpose. Publicity stunt or not, It's considered news and what I do is report it, that's all.

Bad Logic.

If you stop reporting about it will eventually go away. If publicity stunts get no publicity, they stop occurring.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

how is this fucking news? he threatens himself and cancels a panel

and look a the source : it's worse than looking at R.T.

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Rafy you absolute idiot. Have you learned nothing from gamergate? Brianna Wu is just a professional victim.

Stop spreading this shit.

-snip-

I read the first quote and was like "This is probably a publicity stunt".

wow really ?

how the hell is canceling a companies plans because of death threats a "public stunt" use you brains !  this hurt the company when it comes to promoting their games not only that it wastes time and money when making plans for it.

and in case you didn't realize woman in the gaming industry as of lately are being seriously haressed, I believe that anita sarkessian has received death threats and does any of them deserve it ? no... 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

wow really ?

how the hell is canceling a companies plans because of death threats a "public stunt" use you brains !  this hurt the company when it comes to promoting their games not only that it wastes time and money when making plans for it.

and in case you didn't realize woman in the gaming industry as of lately are being seriously haressed, I believe that anita sarkessian has received death threats and does any of them deserve it ? no... 

Anita? In the gaming industry? LOL

can you change it to auto text

Its all about those volumetric clouds

wow really ?

It's not about the game anymore, for them.

Nothing good came from Brianna Wu(she went as far as to whine about how her niche game isn't popular enough http://www.reaxxion.com/4958/brianna-wu-claims-that-his-game-is-not-liked-because-of-sexism-against-womenAND she uses the "misogyny" excuse) and Anita Sarkeesian's idea for a game is a joke(not only because it shows her as hypocrite, but also because it's just a terrible idea).

Anita is NOT in gaming industry(she tried to get in; but obviously someone of her "expertise" could not be contained by the gaming industry).  AND Anita is harrassed(not that it's good idea, because it allows her to be professional victim) not because she is female, but because she is full of SHIT.

Yes, they BOTH deserved it(but at the same time, it should not happen...as it gives them more popularity in form of those idiots who actually drank their koolaid).

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Oh, come on. I thought I came back to LTT to get away from some of the recycled Twitter trash? Brianna Wu is the textbook definition of a professional victim that ironically needs GamerGate more than it needs her. All she ever does is use cheap baiting practices and blames GG when PC gamers don't care about a game with ugly models and QTE game play. She's so full of herself that she's actually bothered getting involved with Twitter spats against Ubisoft employees and recently one of the devs of WoW.

iSeHwta.png

Surely they'll strap themselves with dynamite and visit their booth. Just another desperate yell for attention.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

It's not about the game anymore, for them.

Nothing good came from Brianna Wu(she went as far as to whine about how her niche game isn't popular enough http://www.reaxxion.com/4958/brianna-wu-claims-that-his-game-is-not-liked-because-of-sexism-against-womenAND she uses the "misogyny" excuse) and Anita Sarkeesian's idea for a game is a joke(not only because it shows her as hypocrite, but also because it's just a terrible idea).

Anita is NOT in gaming industry(she tried to get in; but obviously someone of her "expertise" could not be contained by the gaming industry).  AND Anita is harrassed(not that it's good idea, because it allows her to be professional victim) not because she is female, but because she is full of SHIT.

Yes, they BOTH deserved it(but at the same time, it should not happen...as it gives them more popularity in form of those idiots who actually drank their koolaid).

look I am not going to touch gamers gate with a ten foot pole but I will say this

NO ONE deserves harassment and no female in real life would have to put up with rape or death threats, you know why ? because it is illegal, and you can get major jail time for it, but some how the internet is the exception and that is not right, and no brianna wu is right there is misogyny in the game industry and even if she isnt she has a right to her opinion, especially considering she is a female, we  guys don't ever experience it because hey we are male.

something I have learned over the years is this: generally speaking if we dont experiance a form of descrimination we consider it a non issue and well frankly that is not true.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

look I am not going to touch gamers gate with a ten foot pole but I will say this

NO ONE deserves harassment and no female in real life would have to put up with rape or death threats, you know why ? because it is illegal, and you can get major jail time for it, but some how the internet is the exception and that is not right, and no brianna wu is right there is misogyny in the game industry and even if she isnt she has a right to her opinion, especially considering she is a female, we  guys don't ever experience it because hey we are male.

something I have learned over the years is this: generally speaking if we dont experiance a form of descrimination we consider it a non issue and well frankly that is not true.

What gamers gate?  I don't believe I ever mentioned gamergate either.

You see, MALE also get death threats.  It comes with being a somewhat public figure(such as having a big-ish youtube channel).

That is EQUALITY.

As for who deserves death threats...  I would agree that NO ONE ELSE(as in anyone not doing stupid shit like Anita/Brianna) deserved death threats.

She(Anita and/or Brianna) deserved death threats...etc. because she PUBLICIZED(you could argue that she was just like everyone else and didn't deserve them BEFORE she started doing that shit) them(which is retarded, as pointed out in this, previously posted in this thread, video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgHmTmUjFF0), which is literally ASKING for those crazy people craving for attention to send her threats(because that means their threats gets publicized on a fairly popular twitter account...etc.).

They are both professional victims; and you know what they need to keep their "profession"?  Threats of death, rape, and/or other things.

I didn't join all the gamergate shit; but if I did, I would be for gamergate...because apparently staying neutral(like TB attempted to do) means you are still a misogynistic bastard.

http://www.reaxxion.com/2808/totalbiscuit-shows-how-sjws-are-disgusting-human-beings

Btw, you think I have not been subjected to discrimination?  

I'm from China(that means I'm not American, by the way) and currently living in Southern U.S.; enough said.

Sexism is an issue; Racism is an issue.

None of it is an issue to these professional victims; in fact, they thrive on it.

Therefore, they DESERVED it(not that it's a good thing).

What gamers gate?  I don't believe I ever mentioned gamergate either.

You see, MALE also get death threats.  It comes with being a somewhat public figure(such as having a big-ish youtube channel).

That is EQUALITY.

She deserved death threats...etc. because she PUBLICIZE them(which is retarded, as pointed out in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgHmTmUjFF0), which is literally ASKING for those crazy people craving for attention to send her threats(because that means their threats gets publicized on a fairly popular twitter account...etc.).

whatever I'm not going to start an internet argument, believe what you want to believe, I am done here/

sorry for the brief interruption everyone back on topic

wow really ?

Quick answer... EVERYONE GETS DEATH THREATS..........To Pewdiepie to goddamn OmegaAlphaSin.....your acting that she is the only one that gets death threats...well let me tell you buddy everyone gets them

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

whatever I'm not going to start an internet argument, believe what you want to believe, I am done here/

sorry for the brief interruption everyone back on topic

You are indeed done here.

I don't believe.

I know.

Read rest of my post above.