Patent troll claims to own Bluetooth, scores $15.7M verdict against Samsung

marshall.11-640x480.jpg

Patent enforcers win in court, twice in two weeks. Will it matter for reform?

Apparently you can win based off patents of yours that you never knew amounted to anything, what a racket to be involved in. It seems like this opens up the rest of the industry to further lawsuits, Samsung included (again), because of this victory for the company that successfully sued.

Its funny, he specifically stated that the BSIG came up with the 2.0 EDR standard yet his patents can still be successfully used in this kind of scenario? Dangerous precedent indeed, and given Rembrandt being patent trolls this is just the first step is shaking down the rest of the industry for money over Bluetooth.

Gordon Bremer didn't invent Bluetooth 2.0. In fact, as he admitted on the stand last week in an East Texas federal court, he hadn't even read the specification for it until 2007—three years after it was on the market.

Despite that, Bremer may be getting paid a hefty royalty by Samsung, after a jury ruled that the Korean electronics company infringed Bremer's patents. He stands to get 2.5 percent of the $15.7 million verdict [PDF] won by his employer, Rembrandt IP, one of the oldest and most successful "patent trolls."

The jury found in Rembrandt's favor on Friday after a week-long trial, finding that Samsung's Bluetooth-enabled products, including its most popular cell phones, tablets, and televisions, infringe Bremer's patents, numbered 8,023,580 and 8,457,228. The patents relate to compatibility between different types of modems, and connect to a string of applications going back to 1997. The first version of Bluetooth was invented by Swedish cell phone company Ericsson in 1994.

Last week's award to Rembrandt is the second jury verdict in two weeks giving money to a patent troll, a term used for companies, like Rembrandt, that make their money from filing patent lawsuits. While the trial was only against Samsung, the same complaint [PDF] names Blackberry as an infringer. (Court records show no indication Blackberry settled, so it may have an upcoming trial date.)

Meanwhile, Rembrandt's lawyers have made clear they believe the Bremer patents apply to all products using Bluetooth 2.0 and later—a huge swath of products. This win against Samsung may ultimately be one small piece of Rembrandt's plan to collect from Bluetooth.

On cross-examination, he acknowledged that it was the Bluetooth Special Interest Group, or BSIG, that came up with the 2.0 version, including the Enhanced Data Rate or EDR technology.

"I made no contributions to the standards body," Bremer said.

In cross-exam, Samsung's lawyer asked if Bluetooth and EDR infringed on his patents.

"I’m not an attorney to answer that,” Bremer responded.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/02/patent-troll-claims-to-own-bluetooth-scores-15-7m-verdict-against-samsung/

2.5 percent of the $15.7 million verdict =  392500

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Whoa buddy not so fast, I already have one. 

You owe me $3.50 for simply existing. 

I have a patent on Evolution, so you and all of your ancestors owe me 1$ for every mutated gene since humans existed. 

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

This is not what we need, more blood boiling stuff. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Whoa buddy not so fast, I already have one. 

You owe me $3.50 for simply existing. 

He owns you even more for writing that comment :P

Is that cat going *pfft*

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

more patent trolls that are hold back innovation. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Ge, the rate the world is going, someone is going to own the patent to "breathing" and therefore we will all owe them money.

This is getting out of hand.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

I had the idea for ketchup packets like Chik-Fil-A uses when I was in high school. Wish I could have patented.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ge, the rate the world is going, someone is going to own the patent to "breathing" and therefore we will all owe them money.

This is getting out of hand.

Oh silly, you can't patent breathing. That's so obvious you won't get a patent anywhere. It will never pass.

My patent for "method of extracting oxygen from air for use in biological organisms" however will probably get granted.

I think Mark Cuban has the right idea regarding patents.

Easy money that guy ever made. lol

I had the idea for ketchup packets like Chik-Fil-A uses when I was in high school. Wish I could have patented.

You'd be swimming in the munnies.

tumblr_lox02eaI2C1r0wgiuo1_400.gif

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Patents continue to be outdated and useless.

This really old idea that serves no purpose but to monopolize an idea should be removed.

It should be that a company can only patent something granted its very specific and the vaguer/more things that come into play the price of copyright increases exponentially. 

And it can only remain patented for the extent an idea is being developed and not just sat on and used to troll with -_-

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China