AMD R9 390X Coming With Cooler Master Liquid Cooler + Estimated Performance

GPUXPert

That's not totally true. It's thermal energy, not temperature. Two different materials at the same temperature can have very different thermal energies, hence why salt can make ice water colder than the ice itself in an ice cream maker, leading to frozen ice cream. The temperatures of the fins and the air could be the same, and I'd have to check, but one will absorb thermal energy from the other just the same until the energies are equal.

I'd be tempted to say it is temperature in this case, not thermal energy.

If you think about a system in which you are submerging a sealed glass container of boiling hot water in a swimming pool, the glass has a much higher temperature, but the pool has more thermal energy. What you are saying is that the temperature of the swimming pool will decrease as it transfers energy to the boiling water. I would say that it is the energy of the local particles which is important, not the energy of the entire system and this is essentially what temperature is a measure of -- the average kinetic energy of the particles.

Ultimately entropy is a movement towards an equilibrium across this boundary

I'd be tempted to say it is temperature in this case, not thermal energy.

If you think about a system in which you are submerging a sealed glass container of boiling hot water in a swimming pool, the glass has a much higher temperature, but the pool has more thermal energy. What you are saying is that the temperature of the swimming pool will decrease as it transfers energy to the boiling water. I would say that it is the energy of the local particles which is important, not the energy of the entire system and this is essentially what temperature is a measure of -- the average kinetic energy of the particles.

Ultimately entropy is a movement towards an equilibrium across this boundary

The water immediately touching the glass has a lower total thermal energy. The entire pool will of course have more, and then it's a fluid flow/convection problem.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So the conclusion is that the R9 390X is literally Hitler, because of quantum mechanics? :P

What gave you that idea? The 390X is clearly the reincarnation of Benito Mussolini.

How anyone could not follow the logic to this foregone conclusion is absolutely stupefying.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The water immediately touching the glass has a lower total thermal energy. The entire pool will of course have more, and then it's a fluid flow/convection problem.

Thank you for summarising my post :)

Hitler.

Dead people don't need fixing.

Or perhaps you could argue that Dead people are "fixed."

It is, after all, a part of the "Final Solution."  B)

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

so r9 390 and 390x are the only cards with an actual new gpu architecture?

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

So the conclusion is that the R9 390X is literally Hitler, because of quantum mechanics? :P

Don't forget that it will also blow up in less than a year because it has a copper block and aluminum radiator.  :rolleyes:

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

I'm sorry, I was unaware that you considered heating a GPU's primary function. No, I can see why you would not consider heat a waste energy product in this situation. I hate to break it to you, though, for most people it is most definitely not its primary purpose.

The R9 290x won an award for most efficient in computation. If the performance increase outweighs the heat increase, NO MATTER HOW MUCH HEAT IS OUTPUTTED, it is still more efficient because it does more work per watt.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

No. The problem with the 290X is that it was a power-hungry beast and generated a lot of heat. The reference cooler should have been sufficient. A 290W TDP is ridiculous. That you're saying that the 390X is going to be even more extreme than that is exactly what I'm talking about. Like holy shit, two of these alone produce more heat than my entire system draws from the wall when benchmarking by the numbers you're suggesting. People talk about the 580 and 480 as being hot cards but they produce 50 - 60W less heat each.

I have gone into the negatives that prevent me from ever buying a GPU with an AIO attached. If you can't be bothered to read them that's not my problem, but don't just say that there aren't any.

Wrong, look at the heat Sink. IT HAS NO HEAT pipes. It was made for 270 series, not Hawaii

Ever looked at AMD GPU power vs. temperature graphs? Go ahead and look at the 290X very, very carefully. It's about a 9% difference at peak, outside the margin of error for the sensors.

People have measured card temperatures with far more accurate devices than the onboard sensors you know.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-r9-290x-review-benchmarks,12.html

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Did u just say "only 300w tdp part" ?!

Please give me Nvidia GPU that ON ITS OWN (not full system consumption) eats 300w.

Vram thingy is nice is agree. I just need to see the performance in games or other applications (if it does support other ones).

It clearly destroys 980 but when 390x is out Nvidia will have 1080 coming out and 390x can be forgotten. All depends on pricing really.

GTX 480 (throttled with its stock air cooler)

GTX 580 (throttled with its stock air cooler)

GTX 590 (extremely cut down and still throttles sometimes)

GTX 690 (Cut down a lot)

GTX TITAN Z (Cut Down a lot)

By the way, I run a 275w card at 62C under load on air. Keep talking while I laugh my ass off.

Wrong, look at the heat Sink. IT HAS NO HEAT pipes. It was made for 270 series, not Hawaii

Jesus how many times do we have to say putting a better cooler on a GPU does NOT change how much heat it's outputting!

The R9 290x won an award for most efficient in computation. If the performance increase outweighs the heat increase, NO MATTER HOW MUCH HEAT IS OUTPUTTED, it is still more efficient because it does more work per watt.

How on earth do you come up with a number in Watts for computational performance?

Like I've said I've used 580s in SLI before. I've been in the situation where I'm limited to games like Kotor and Fable in Summer because otherwise the temperature of my room gets ridiculous -- and make no mistake the 580s had a mild overclock and weren't throttling. But you could put the best custom loop in the world on a 300W TDP card (which is a lot more than a 580, btw) and it won't make the situation any more pleasant.

Jesus how many times do we have to say putting a better cooler on a GPU does NOT change how much heat it's outputting!

How on earth do you come up with a number in Watts for computational performance?

Like I've said I've used 580s in SLI before. I've been in the situation where I'm limited to games like Kotor and Fable in Summer because otherwise the temperature of my room gets ridiculous -- and make no mistake the 580s had a mild overclock and weren't throttling. But you could put the best custom loop in the world on a 300W TDP card (which is a lot more than a 580, btw) and it won't make the situation any more pleasant.

1. IM NOT! You are blaming the overheating of the R9 290x on the heat output. The Titan Z had a higher heat output, was faster and didn't throttle! If that's possible, then the only other possible thing wrong is the cooler itself.

2. I never did that. The r9 290x has the highest computational performance PER wat, making it EFFICIENT, despite its high heat output.

Ffs its a desktop not a laptop. Power and heat aside.... show me the performance!!!

Noone buys a ferrari for fuel economy.

People have measured card temperatures with far more accurate devices than the onboard sensors you know.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-r9-290x-review-benchmarks,12.html

Contrary to popular belief, these imaging devices are highly flawed. All the infrared light in view emits in spheres, not lines. You can only detect an average local temp, not a pinpoint one. No matter how many iterations of the best corrections algorithms, you can only produce an average, and the sensors have their own margins of error as well. I wouldn't trust those too much.

Time to FAPP , 4096-bit wide memory IO,hhnnng. 

And that 4K performance yolo.

I should sell my 670 while its still worth something hahahha.

Woooahhhhhhhh. Duuuudee, I'll take it. :-)

(Joking.)

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

Contrary to popular belief, these imaging devices are highly flawed. All the infrared light in view emits in spheres, not lines. You can only detect an average local temp, not a pinpoint one. No matter how many iterations of the best corrections algorithms, you can only produce an average, and the sensors have their own margins of error as well. I wouldn't trust those too much.

No... they're not.  They have an extremely low detection limit and precision.  They're very accurate instruments. Spectroscopy in general is very accurate and reliable.  (Most detectors are accurate within 1-2%)  They're actually used to quantify chemical gas leaks. (usually measured in g/hr) to within 2-3 g/hr depending on the compound.  (So it can detect very very minor leaks.)  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

GTX 480 (throttled with its stock air cooler)

GTX 580 (throttled with its stock air cooler)

GTX 590 (extremely cut down and still throttles sometimes)

GTX 690 (Cut down a lot)

GTX TITAN Z (Cut Down a lot)

Clocking the GPU higher by around 10-20% without a bump to your voltage barely increases the power consumption, 690's/Titan-Z's aren't cut down because an extra 100-200MHz clock speed would bump the temperatures, can be still countered with a more agressive fan profile.

By the way, I run a 275w card at 62C under load on air. Keep talking while I laugh my ass off.

A 290 doesn't pull 275W.. A 290 is similar to a 780 power consumption wise, I never saw the 780 I had hitting 250W.

There's no such award >.< If there is, then it's AMD giving themselves an award.

1. IM NOT! You are blaming the overheating of the R9 290x on the heat output. The Titan Z had a higher heat output, was faster and didn't throttle! If that's possible, then the only other possible thing wrong is the cooler itself.

2. I never did that. The r9 290x has the highest computational performance PER wat, making it EFFICIENT, despite its high heat output.

No shit the Titan Z has higher heat output, it has two GPUs. The 290X throttling was because the TDP of the cooler wasn't high enough for the TDP of the card. This heat output will not magically go away just because the card is kept below its throttling temperature.

No shit the Titan Z has higher heat output, it has two GPUs. The 290X throttling was because the TDP of the cooler wasn't high enough for the TDP of the card. This heat output will not magically go away just because the card is kept below its throttling temperature.

In most cases, it will be out of the case. (no pun)

So, for the most part, heat output does go away, although not magically.

In worst case you just need to buy a few more fans...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...