Whole Room Water Cooling Part 5b

For the soldering twist the wires together to form a mechanical bond between them would greatly increase the tensile strength of the connection as well as the electrical conductivity of the joint, also don't form a globule of solder on the end of your iron and bring that to the joint you will get a cold solder joint that in the conditions that you will be putting it though will cause it to fail what you should do is heat up the area where you want the joint then bring solder to now heated area and it should melt the solder without you ever bringing the solder and the iron in direct contact, once you have added enough solder to the joint for it to have formed but not so much that there is a blob remove the solder then remove the iron to form a nice shiny joint (assuming that the solder used has lead if not it will be shiny for a moment before becoming a dull silver). Finally when splicing it is best practice to avoid having all your splices at the same point in the wire since the joint will be thicker than the normal wire and having 4 or 5 at the same point causes there to be a unfitly bulge that is hard to cable manage.

I really feel for you guys, looks pretty tough and especially after 6 vids, hope it works out soon

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Insane project is insane.  This latest video made my head hurt just thinking about what you were doing.  Very cool though and I have enjoyed this series for the most part other than my head hurting from this latest video. :)

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Looking at you rummage for items it makes me realize that your new office will need to be at least 70%-80% storage and the rest on work and filming areas. :D

Cheers for the new video!

Yeeaaah!,i swear if this was a series i would definitely watch it!!  :D

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Ok at this point why not just call this Season 1 episode 6 and go on from there and when you do Whole Room Water Cooling at your new location(with an actual plumber [hopefully] someone more experienced than Linus like lets say Mario) you call it Season 2.

keep on going guys!, i would love to read the comments on the final video when this project is fully working, all those haters will change their stupid opinions to "hey this is awesome, this is great,etc.."

Whole room water cooling season 2 episode 1: The move :D

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Question : Since you're leaving for a new office, is it really worth it to water cool the old one ?

Request : When you'll be settled in the new office, please do not water cool it !!! Please... I do not want a 46 part Office Water Cooling series !

p.s. Molex to Sata to Quad Sata is absolutely sssstupid :D funny though

p.s.2.  1ohl Wire (One Linus Hight) is NOT a long wire !

By the way, can you tell us how you did the material design design on the videos ?

♠ Lamine O. Mingwan  UEE Record #256532 

Anvil Aerospace F7C Hornet ♦ MISC Freelancer DUR ♥

@LinusTech

This is how I solder wires. If they are longer you can bend the wires that there is a gap between the wire and table so you don't have to lay the wire onto the soldering tip.

linus. after you you run the boisital agent through the system try a solution of 50% viniger and water to help clean out the water blocks and radiators. it will help to break down  the residue in the water blocks and rads, viniger wont be as corrosive to your water blocks/rads. after you run the viniger completely through and if there is still gungk in the system let the viniger  sit in the system for over night through the system, then completely fush the system through again with the viniger/water solution. it should help in cleaning out the system without taking it apart. you could use the viniger solution again and again just remember to filter out the solution after every pass through, a simple coffee filter should do the trick. after its all cleaned out flush out the system completely with fresh water it should help and it wont damage any you your water block/rads and pumps seals. you should also try arranging the pumps in a push/pull config. one pumps pushes the water through the system and the second one pulling water out of the system. the more powerful pump should be push water into the system. it might help. no harm in giving it a try.

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but I am thinking it might be worth moving up from 1/2" (11mm) copper to 3/4 (22mm) pipe when you move to the office. This would be mainly to reduce the overall system resistance you have and allow for easier purging. I know  that you still have a lot of parts in the system that are 1/2" but it should allow for more water to flow around the mains of the system. While you are redoing the piping you could also add "Auto Air Vents" (on the copper lines around the room to let air bubbles escape before having to go through the whole loop maybe one after every 2 systems or so. Normally they put Air vents on Boiler/radiant heating systems, but since you are doing something very similar to a boiler system in a way, just with six or so small boilers hooked up in a row and heating the outdoors, the air vents should work for your usage. 

We use that same Soldering Iron at work but we also have the Hakko 936 witch is a 60W iron and is only good for Non Rohs jobs but the Weller iron is much better and it's really good on Rohs boards.

After being there for 16+ years I finally got a new solder station and upgraded from that Hakko to the Weller WX1, it's a freakin beast @ 200W and all digital it even has a usb plug and Ethernet looking data line.

link to solder station http://www.weller-toolsus.com/soldering/stations/weller-wx1-control-unit-120v-200w-digital.html

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

These guys are sure going to a lot of effort to avoid adding high point vents at each computers tap lines.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I just consider this implementation a test run for the new setup at the new office. Hopefully you'll have learned a thing or two and have fewer issues at the new office as a consequence. (Spoiler alert: there will still be problems and entertaining videos documenting them)

Wow, this set up seems like a real pain in the ass.

I wonder if they really will transfer it, or just say f**k it and go with AC (like normal people would)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have been enjoying this series so much and definitely, the best series you have done yet.

Will there be a video when you put it in the new office?!?!  :D

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1zA0MDW

Amazon: http://geni.us/F6y

Today on West Coast Whole Room (not actually the name of this series), Linus attempts to make an adapter that will allow the fans on the whole room loop rads to actually run!

Linus - I live in California, my family owns a California State Contractors Licensed plumbing company... my father is a Plumbing Contractor/Master Plumber. My little brother, and I are both at journeyman Plumber skill level. Depending on the size of the job... when we do residential work, we need to have a permit, and a final inspection to make sure we haven't done anything illegal code wise, or law wise. I am wondering... in Canada, are homeowners just allowed to run pipes and wires wherever, whenever, and however they want to... without any type of permits, or inspections by the government? BTW... in California it can be VERY difficult, and expensive if you try to sell your property/home that has unpermitted/illegal remodels. Is it the same way in Canada?

My rig =SCOUT2= 

I haven't read the comments but its been bugging me throughout the videos, why don't you put the original pump half way through the loop on one of the spare hook up points (Or what ever you want to call them) to help the flow rate?

Tips for soldering:

- use liquid flux by dipping the tips of the wires in it. It just works way better than fluxed solder by it self.

- your soldering iron looked a bit cold it should be running at just over 400 Deg C

- when soldering 2 wires together one of the stands with the alligator clip holder thingies on it to hold the wires for you makes it way easier

this whole "Whole room water-cooling project" really does seem to be dragging out now, what's happening Linus, you running out of products to do single videos? rather than these "part episodes" ? 

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"