Is it Possible to Counterfit a Graphics or a Processor Chip?

Okay i know how weird this sounds, But it made me wonder, someone with enough resources would be able to do something like that & flood it on to the mainstream market, or is something like this super impossible? haven't heard of a counterfit chip , which made me suspicious..Like copy the architecture & make it themselves & rebrand & sell the products along the original..

Details separate people.

Okay i know how werid this sounds, But it made me wonder, someone with enough resources would be able to do something like that & flood it on to the mainstream market, or is something like this super impossible? haven't heard of a counterfit chip , which made me suspicious..

basically no. the companies who have the resources to do it value their reputation too much. unless you were global foundries or TSMC etc, you couldn't really do it

You could rebadge cheap GPUs but one look under the heatsink at the core would give it a way, that and the performance.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

There have been many instances of this... not so much as a legit counterfeit but relabeling a lower end chip as a higher end chip.  Just google Fake i7 Processor.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Okay i know how werid this sounds, But it made me wonder, someone with enough resources would be able to do something like that & flood it on to the mainstream market, or is something like this super impossible? haven't heard of a counterfit chip , which made me suspicious..Like copy the architecture & make it themselves & rebrand & sell the products along the original..

Sure it'd be possible, but why bother making up a counterfeit? Buy a job lot of poorly binned chips, package them, and sell them as 5960x's.

Okay so it isn't quite that simple, and you'd have to make them in bulk just to pay for the infrastructure needed to make the copies. Possible? yes, Probable, not really.

Well... if you have a 14nm plant to fabricate it ... yes probably if you have the blue print and all. But intel and samsung are probably the only one to poses such thing... 

sooo not really

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Okay i know how werid this sounds, But it made me wonder, someone with enough resources would be able to do something like that & flood it on to the mainstream market, or is something like this super impossible? haven't heard of a counterfit chip , which made me suspicious..Like copy the architecture & make it themselves & rebrand & sell the products along the original..

The cost alone to make a chip would be in the hundreds of millions to just even make one. I've seen falsely advertised cards and ones that are of a older card just made to look like a new one but never heard of a counterfeit.

Not really because it takes billions of dollars to get factories established that can do such advanced processes.

What "fake" GPUs and CPUs are is just rebranded old crappy cheap ones to make them look like recent or new chips selling for less.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yes. On some more questionable bidding websites and even eBay, there are fake GTX 780s that are typically rebranded, reBIOS'd older GPUs (usually with 1GB DDR3 RAM) with a cheap-looking cooler on them being sold for $125 or less.

Here's an example. Rebadged 9800 GT.

******counterfeiter market intensifies*******

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Not really. These chips are manufactured in multi-billion dollar facilities. 

And I'm sure that if you have more than a billion dollar people will know what you're up to.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Is it possible?, yes.

Could it happen?, nope, you would need equipment worth billions.

You can find some Chinese videocards who claim to be GTX-whatever but with a different bios that make it look like GTX-980.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I don't think so.

You would only be able to take older chips and put a "Newest of the new" sticker on them

AMD...

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I had fun watching this.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Well this news story broke today or yesterday

Fake AMD processors in circulation!

I don't know if I'm allowed to link directly to other forums, so please tell me if I broke rules!.

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

Incredibly complex to do. There's a reason why so few companies in the world make GPUs and CPUs.

You got fake GPUs from china that probably have a lower tier card and they modify the BIOS to make it a higher end card........

probably like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX650Ti-2GB-384Bit-DDR3-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-computer-/151579503564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234ad7abcc

The DDR3 gave it away. AFAIK the GTX 650 Ti only has GDDR5 memory.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Okay i know how weird this sounds, But it made me wonder, someone with enough resources would be able to do something like that & flood it on to the mainstream market, or is something like this super impossible? haven't heard of a counterfit chip , which made me suspicious..Like copy the architecture & make it themselves & rebrand & sell the products along the original..

North Korea should know how to

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

sometime you see gpus whith rejected B grade chips from the far east

Best anyone could hope for is mailing a box of rocks over Ebay or something.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If I remember correctly, before CPUs were locked some vendors would overclock a CPU to match a more expensive model, then sell it in a pre-built system as the more expensive part.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum