Grand Theft Auto V sold 45 million copies so far (10 mil on next gen)

Linusinium

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2013202

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO) today reported strong financial results for fiscal third quarter 2015, ended December 31, 2014. In addition, the Company increased its financial outlook for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2015, and provided its initial financial outlook for the fiscal fourth quarter ending March 31, 2015.

“Take-Two’s positive momentum was demonstrated once again, as we delivered exceedingly strong third quarter revenues and profits, and finished the quarter with nearly $1 billion in cash and short term investments”

GAAP Financial Results

For fiscal third quarter 2015, GAAP net revenue was $531.1 million, as compared to $1.86 billion for fiscal third quarter 2014. GAAP net income was $40.1 million, or $0.42 per diluted share, as compared to $578.4 million, or $4.69 per diluted share, for the year-ago period. GAAP net revenue and net income declined year-over-year in fiscal third quarter 2015 because GAAP results for fiscal third quarter 2014 included net revenue and cost of goods sold related to sell-in of the Grand Theft Auto V® game during both fiscal second quarter and fiscal third quarter 2014, as Grand Theft Auto Online launched during fiscal third quarter 2014. In addition, GAAP results for fiscal third quarter 2015 reflect the deferral of net revenue and cost of goods sold related to sell-in of Grand Theft Auto V during the quarter.

During fiscal third quarter 2015, the Company’s cash and short-term investments balance increased to $976.6 million as of December 31, 2014.

Non-GAAP Financial Results

For fiscal third quarter 2015, Non-GAAP net revenue grew to $954.0 million, as compared to $767.7 million for the year-ago period. Non-GAAP net income increased to $211.6 million, or $1.87 per diluted share, as compared to $210.7 million, or $1.70 per diluted share, for the year-ago period.

The largest contributors to Non-GAAP net revenue in fiscal third quarter 2015 were Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online, NBA® 2K15, WWE® 2K15, Borderlands®: The Pre-Sequel, and Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™.

Non-GAAP net revenue from digitally-delivered content grew 64% year-over-year to $217.2 million. The largest contributors were offerings for the Grand Theft Auto series, NBA 2K15, the Borderlands franchise, and Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth. Revenue from recurrent consumer spending (virtual currency, downloadable add-on content and online games) grew 23% year-over-year and accounted for 36% of Non-GAAP net revenue from digitally-delivered content. Catalog sales accounted for $103.7 million of Non-GAAP net revenue led by the Grand Theft Auto series and offerings for Borderlands 2.

Management Comments

“Take-Two’s positive momentum was demonstrated once again, as we delivered exceedingly strong third quarter revenues and profits, and finished the quarter with nearly $1 billion in cash and short term investments,” said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman and CEO of Take-Two. “We successfully launched one of the most diverse holiday lineups in the Company’s history, led by Grand Theft Auto V for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, NBA 2K15, WWE 2K15, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth. We also generated substantial growth in digitally-delivered revenue, including through our ongoing focus on offerings that drive recurrent consumer spending. As a result of Take-Two’s outstanding holiday season performance, we are raising the Company’s financial outlook for the full year.

“Looking ahead, we expect that our fourth quarter will provide a strong finish to fiscal 2015, which is lining up to be one of Take-Two’s best years ever. Anchored by the eagerly-anticipated launches of Evolve and Grand Theft Auto V for PC, along with an array of other offerings, we will continue to deliver titles that captivate audiences around the world and set benchmarks for excellence. With our world-class creative teams, robust development pipeline, cutting-edge technology and ample capital resources, Take-Two is superbly positioned to build on its solid foundation and continue to capitalize on this dynamic entertainment market.”

Business and Product Highlights

Since October 1, 2014:

Rockstar Games:

Launched Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One. Grand Theft Auto V is the highest-rated game to date for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One*, and has now sold-in more than 45 million units on console, including nearly 10 million units on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The title is planned for launch on PC on March 24, 2015.

Released two updates for Grand Theft Auto Online, including The Last Team Standing Update and the Festive Surprise.

Released the portable classic Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars for Android and Amazon Kindle Fire, and updated the game for iOS. This updated version features new highly customizable touchscreen controls, physical controller support, plus high resolution widescreen display on supported devices, as well as full Retina Display resolution on iOS.

Announced that Grand Theft Auto Online Heists – a four-player co-op mode for Grand Theft Auto Online that enables players to plan, prepare and execute multi-tiered Heists across Los Santos and Blaine County – will be coming in early 2015 as a free update on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC.

2K:

Launched NBA 2K15 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC, as well as on iOS and Amazon devices. The title is the highest-rated sports game of 2014 across consoles and PC*, and has continued the series’ trend of year-over-year growth with approximately 5.5 million units sold-in to date.

Launched WWE 2K15 on the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3. Developed collaboratively by Yuke's and Visual Concepts, WWE 2K15 is being supported with downloadable add-on content, including a Season Pass.

Released Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Co-developed by Gearbox Software and 2K Australia, the title is being supported with downloadable add-on content, including a Season Pass.

Launched Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth for PC, Mac and Linux. Developed by Firaxis Games, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth is a new stand-alone, science fiction-themed entry in the award-winning Civilization franchise, which has sold-in more than 29 million units worldwide.

Released BioShock® Infinite: The Complete Edition for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, which includes the award-winning title and all of its previously-released add-on content.
Expanded its offerings for tablets and smartphones with the releases of Evolve: Hunters Quest, MyNBA 2K15, and NHL® 2K.

Announced that Borderlands: The Handsome Collection™ is planned for launch on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 24, 2015. The Handsome Collection brings the critically-acclaimed Borderlands series to next-gen consoles for the first time and offers the complete story of the franchise’s most iconic villain, Handsome Jack. The Handsome Collection includes Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel along with all of the downloadable content for both titles – currently over $100 of value on prior-gen consoles, but now for only $59.99 and with the graphical fidelity of next-gen consoles, four-player split-screen on a single television, and the ability to transfer save files to the next-gen consoles with new cross-save functionality.**

Announced downloadable content details for Evolve™, including a Hunting Season Pass, a fourth playable monster, Behemoth, and more. Developed by Turtle Rock Studios and planned for global launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC on February 10, 2015, Evolve is the only game in history to earn both the official Electronic Entertainment Expo and Gamescom “Game of Show” awards in the same year.

Announced that Sid Meier’s Starships™ is planned for launch on PC, Mac and iPad in spring 2015. This turn-based, tactical space combat game will feature cross-connectivity and unlockable bonuses with Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth.

Announced the formation of Hangar 13, a new development studio led by veteran game developer Haden Blackman. Hangar 13 is located at 2K’s headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area and is working on an unannounced next-gen title.

* According to Metacritic.com. 
** Save transfers must be between the same console family (e.g., Xbox 360 to Xbox One).

Financial Outlook for Fiscal 2015

Take-Two is increasing its financial outlook for fiscal year 2015, which reflects its strong fiscal third quarter results, strong current business trends, and positive sales outlook for its upcoming releases. In addition, the Company is providing its initial financial outlook for its fiscal fourth quarter ending March 31, 2015 as follows:

rgKpGE3.png

With PC and additional sales on all platforms combined, GTA V is very likely to surpass 50 mil copies sold and generate more than 3 billion US$ revenue...

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

That text wall T_T

I'm not surprised. I won't buy it until release anyways.

<Insert blather about not supporting preorders>

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Can there be a spoiler page. Los have mercy that was a wall of text.

Too long didn't read

Why do people keep growing money at games that aren't finished and that are ports to PC. It makes me sad. :(

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I'm waiting for TotalBiscuit's Port Report.

This. I always wait for his opinion. I watched his live stream of the Day0 edition for AW. I waited for his opinion on Dying Light. It's too bad I did, the price rose ~20$ on G2A after the game released.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Yeah. I don't watch most of his videos, but i find his opinion very... interesting :P

We've waited for so long for the GTA V, so we can wait a bit longer, so we can see the reviews/reports (and maybe a price drop in the next 3-4 months?)

Wait so 45 million units broke down how? 10 million on each ps4 and xbox or 10 million combined units? and where have the other 35 million sold?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Certainly not the only game they published but it's clear that GTA V is the one that helped the most to paint this picture:

chartscdonf.gif

Are we still firm on not preordering?

I would hope so, not that Take Two and R* really care at this point.

IIRC, Rockstar spent 300 million $ to make GTA V. It's insane, they can spend any amount on making the next game and still turn a great profit.

Wait so 45 million units broke down how? 10 million on each ps4 and xbox or 10 million combined units? and where have the other 35 million sold?

10 mil on PS4 &X1 combined, 35 mil on 360 &PS3 combined.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

10 mil on PS4 &X1 combined, 35 mil on 360 &PS3 combined.

Lol, its seems that people are more then happy to play games on their older consoles if given the chance. Imagine if all games had forward and backwards compatibility across console generations (settings depending on console of course), so called 'next gen' consoles would have significantly lower sales.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol, its seems that people are more then happy to play games on their older consoles if given the chance. Imagine if all games had forward and backwards compatibility across console generations (settings depending on console of course), so called 'next gen' consoles would have significantly lower sales.

I missed that backward/forward compatibility. Now we're getting 'HD remakes' of games that should already be playable on the consoles. Imo, consoles/games seem to devolve as time goes on. With the PS2, we could play PS1 games, and most games supported playing with multiple people on the same couch (where viable). That's the purpose of consoles (again in my opinion), though its completely headed to a different direction where I would have to pay to play with a friend online. That's the reason why the current modern console I like is the WiiU (because it has more same couch multiplayer games than the others).

Can we all please stop calling the PS4 and Xbone 'next gen'? there's nothing 'next gen' about them, they're as 'current gen' as anything can be :P

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Can we all please stop calling the PS4 and Xbone 'next gen'? there's nothing 'next gen' about them, they're as 'current gen' as anything can be :P

I call them previous gen because of this.

This is rock stars biggest success. If only they used 0.1% on porting the game to PC it would be best game of 2015 for PC. But nope they dont because leaders don't give a crap about PC consumers. Greedy pigs :(

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

While I'm interested in his views on the game, I preordered it because it's a day 1 purchase even if its unoptimized. GTA V is awesome and even if I have to turn down a few settings to get it to run well I'm buying it.

nle;dr

not long enough, did read.

The remake of GTA: San Andreas was a huge success? but how!!

/s.

I'm pretty sure the people that played GTA:SA were begging to play in that world/map(s) again. I know I was..

50dafb80afa96f3ff700001c.jpg

While I'm interested in his views on the game, I preordered it because it's a day 1 purchase even if its unoptimized. GTA V is awesome and even if I have to turn down a few settings to get it to run well I'm buying it.

That's you up there. have you given thought to how you would feel if the game doesn't launch due to a machine configuration issue, and it takes them 2 days to fix?

edit:

pre-orders are a trust thing. if you trust them, suppose you have your reason(s). I trust Valve not to release a game that won't run on my machine on day one. but I still wouldn't give GabeN my money before the game's release :P

SPAAAAAACE!!!

nle;dr

not long enough, did read.

The remake of GTA: San Andreas was a huge success? but how!!

/s.

I'm pretty sure the people that played GTA:SA were begging to play in that world/map(s) again. I know I was..

50dafb80afa96f3ff700001c.jpg

That's you up there. have you given thought to how you would feel if the game doesn't launch due to a machine configuration issue, and it takes them 2 days to fix?

I doubt that would happen but it wouldn't bother me in anyway. I'm going to buy it the second its available anyway, I might as well get the preorder bonuses and discounts too. 

I doubt that would happen but it wouldn't bother me in anyway. I'm going to buy it the second its available anyway, I might as well get the preorder bonuses and discounts too. 

check my edit.

edit:

pre-orders are a trust thing. if you trust them, suppose you have your reason(s). I trust Valve not to release a game that won't run on my machine on day one. but I still wouldn't give GabeN my money before the game's release  :P

and hell, if you want to spend the sweat of your brow on a promise, who am I to tell you otherwise? :D

SPAAAAAACE!!!

70% of console gamers worldwide: *insists that console gaming is cheaper than pc gaming**buys two copies of gta v*

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

check my edit.

and hell, if you want to spend the sweat of your brow on a promise, who am I to tell you otherwise? :D

Like I said, its a Day 1 purchase anyway. I can either take advantage of preorder bonuses and discounts, preload it and play it right away, or wait till it comes out, wait for TB's port report, then buy it without the preorder bonus and discount and wait for it to download and install. 

70% of console gamers worldwide: *insists that console gaming is cheaper than pc gaming**buys two copies of gta v*

We like paying for our remakes while the PC plebs use emulators and have higher backwards compatibility.

/s