"YouTube ditches Flash for HTML5 video by default"

TopWargamer

Except that it uses DASH, which prevents you from buffering more than just a small portion of the video. If you use an extension to disable DASH, you can't play anything higher than 720p video. It's quite a pain.

use youtube center it allows to increase the buffer size so you can buffer the whole video while having dash on

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

i can only go up to 720p

Must be using some sort of plugin causing that.

as it works fine on firefox.

6PqCeuq.jpg

wait so this means firefox is going to have FULL HTML5 support now for youtube (i.e. watch videos above 720p with it)???

That wioll be so amazing because HTML5 is so much more reliable and takes less resources to run :D

Firefox has been running on html5 for ages it stopped using flash awhile ago

wait so this means firefox is going to have FULL HTML5 support now for youtube (i.e. watch videos above 720p with it)???

That wioll be so amazing because HTML5 is so much more reliable and takes less resources to run :D

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I dont' know.. Google like to cut down the experience on non-Chrome users

I have no idea how this benefits me. No knowledge about flash vs html found.

If my videos load well and look good, i dont need anything else.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Sooo i struggle to play videos in 720p usually settling for 480p... soo the dash issue is not an issue for me!

Sooo i struggle to play videos in 720p usually settling for 480p... soo the dash issue is not an issue for me!

STRAYA!!!

Anyway, HTML5 is sooo much better than Flash. I swapped to it when it was in beta and never looked back.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Yeah, I just downloaded the v36 beta and it works great.

Yeah, I just downloaded the v36 beta and it works great.

*in a deep voice* SWEEEEEET

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

LOL on firefox non video's of youtube are playing in html5 :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

LOL on firefox non video's of youtube are playing in html5 :)

Google does trick to hamper the experience on Firefox on YouTube. Firefox has 0 problem with other sites, nor before. But recently, they are trying to silently kill off Firefox. They are reducing the experience for Firefox users (no 60fps, no player speed control, buggy version of their Flash player, which by magic is not buggy on Chrome), they refused to renew Google default search engine. They are really trying to have the monopoly on web browsers. Hopefully Spartan project web browser form Microsoft in Windows 10 will hurt Google, and put a stop on their actions.

Hopefully Spartan project web browser form Microsoft in Windows 10 will hurt Google, and put a stop on their actions.

Hilarious. As if a proprietary web browser that's Windows-only could beat the open-source barrier busting Chrome.

Not that I like Chrome, (I'm one of those dirty Apple fan boys that prefers Safari, and don't get me started on the technological reasons why) I actually hate it, but I've resigned myself to the fact that it's unstoppable with the force of Google behind it.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

This is nice move, as small as it may be. I don't think anyone disagrees that it has less process overhead than Flash, but I wonder how live videos work without Flash. With the extensions I have that forces HTML, YouTube simply refuses to load the stream. Other sites like Twitch are still solely reliant on Flash in order to get the livestreams rolling. That tells me that for video streams, HTML5 does not quite cut it.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

i dont think anyone likes flash, its just a pain to deal with,

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is nice move, as small as it may be. I don't think anyone disagrees that it has less process overhead than Flash, but I wonder how live videos work without Flash. With the extensions I have that forces HTML, YouTube simply refuses to load the stream. Other sites like Twitch are still solely reliant on Flash in order to get the livestreams rolling. That tells me that for video streams, HTML5 does not quite cut it.

The only reason that HTML5 is a problem for some people, is because its been used for so damn long, bringing with it massive security vulnerabilities and performance issues (its a resource hog, hence why Apple dropped support, and why Adobe stopped support for Android).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The html embed code has been standard for ages. It automatically selects between html (when possible) and flash.

Using the html player is technologically better (native code >> flash), but browser support is limited because it takes time. Chrome supports the standards (obviously) and mozilla is working on it (I'm using an alpha version of ff and with only a couple of preference changes, I am able to watch 4k or 60fps videos), so we're not far off being able to kill flash for most users.

HTTP/2 203

That's a nice thing for other browsers I guess. I think I've had HTML YouTube on Chrome for ages. Runs smoother than Flash (as in less buffer issues), but the quality as far as I can tell is the same. Overall good news!

My guess is that they will use WebRCT for live streaming.

Considering Firefox doesn't have support for Media Source Extensions and VP9 video codec, forcing HTML5 on Firefox is just another fuck you from Google to Firefox. But then again it is Mozilla's fault so I can't call this a huge dick move.

Mozilla is working on it. You can't really blame Google for trying to push a superior (and open/royalty free) standard.

Everything is implemented (but not turned on by default) in Firefox since quite a few versions back. Some things don't work quite that well yet but hopefully they will work great soon.

Mozilla is working on it. You can't really blame Google for trying to push a superior (and open/royalty free) standard.

Everything is implemented (but not turned on by default) in Firefox since quite a few versions back. Some things don't work quite that well yet but hopefully they will work great soon.

I uninstalled the regular Firefox and installed Firefox 36 beta instead. After turning all that stuff on in the config menu Youtube seems to work fine for now.

Flash was shit on Youtube with Firefox. Especially the last update 16 made it so that it dropped frames like every 5 seconds.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Except that it uses DASH, which prevents you from buffering more than just a small portion of the video. If you use an extension to disable DASH, you can't play anything higher than 720p video. It's quite a pain.

I second this ^

Having to use an extension in order to fully buffer a video is just ridiculous, why is not an option within YouTube's settings?

Although I also use the YTCentre extension for grid layout for subscriptions, forcing 720p (the max when using this extension) instead of "Auto (720p)" - Also changing the size of the player to full 720p in theater mode and also disabling annotations, without having to change video settings on EVERY video I want to watch. - All of these things can't be that hard for YouTube to implement.

But I guess they're just working on other more different things.

--- Side note:

When using the HTML player in conjunction with YTC, the video's mostly broken, (progress bar only goes two thirds of the way across the size of the player; the player is the correct custom size I set, but the video is not it stays the original size justified in the top left corner; - Full screen works fine though).

And most of the settings from YTC don't work on the HTML version of the player.

Conclusion:

I like the Flash player most, it allows me to buffer 4+ hour videos no problem (PKA, for those who care) and I can automate everything I would otherwise do manually on every video I want to watch. :)

For those using Firefox that can't get above 720P on YouTube via HTML5, you need to enable mediasource in the config as explained HERE.

1. Load about:config in the browser's address bar and hit enter.
  2. Confirm that you are careful when the prompt is displayed.
  3. Search for media.mediasource.enabled. The preference is set to false by default.
  4. Double-click the preference name to set it to true and enable it.
  5. You may need to restart the browser before the change takes effect.

For those using Firefox that can't get above 720P via HTML5, you need to enable mediasource in the config as explained HERE.

"Right now, a configuration value needs to be changed for that. In the future, this won't be necessary any longer as Mozilla will enable it by default for all users of the browser.

1. Load about:config in the browser's address bar and hit enter.
  2. Confirm that you are careful when the prompt is displayed.
  3. Search for media.mediasource.enabled. The preference is set to false by default.
  4. Double-click the preference name to set it to true and enable it.
  5. You may need to restart the browser before the change takes effect.

When you visit YouTube afterwards and click on the cog wheel icon in the interface and there on quality, all available video resolutions are displayed to you on the site so that they can be played."

Doesn't work on the current Firefox 35. You'll need 36 for this to work. Download the beta.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.