YouTuber NerdCubed Denounces Steam, Plans on curating own store

HellaflushMcSwaggins

I don't understand why someone would hate steam because it has a big variety of games. Even if they are utter crap and you don't like them personally. There could be one person that absolutely loves that particular game. 

In my opinion it's better that the game is at least there for that one person to buy.

Steam isn't making anyone buy shitty games, they are simply offering them along with every other game.

After listening to the video (never heard of this guy before BTW) i do agree somewhat about the Steam Greenlight thing, but he is wrong on one aspect. Good games still do get through on greenlight. If a game is good, it will most likely get praise by the people that play it. The problem is the "celebrity gamers" that popularize bad games, for the sake of them being bad. This in turn makes the game famous for being bad, causing it to be more successful than what it should be. 

They also bring in the chance for abuse by any big youtube channel looking to create their own game, and getting it on the market simply because they are well known, not because the game itself is good. I see steam simply as a medium for games. I buy games when i see they are cheap enough, and i use it to collectively access those games. I do the same with origin and even Arc (Perfect World Entertainment's terrible version of Origin). I have never personally heard someone say "I won't buy this game if its not on steam!" because i do not think anyone has ever said that. I think its more likely someone has said "I will not buy a DRM game, unless the DRM is steam". That is an entirely different meaning. This would mean that they prefer steam's methods over that of Origin, or any other DRM like UPlay. If a game lacks DRM, anyone will be just as happy to buy it, then add a shortcut to their steam to keep it listed with their other games.

I do not entirely understand his frustration over the games being greenlit on steam. I get that bad games make it through, but nobody is forcing you to play those games. I understand you feel good games are not making it on steam, but most dev's offer an alternative to accessing their game, which the man in the video himself clearly stated. This would mean that if you happen to find a bad game on steam, simply give it a low rating, or ignore it. Do not buy it or download it if you feel it is bad. Your review will also save others from making the same mistake. 

To those of you that feel steam is the only platform for a developer to make a game on, plenty of successful games have made it without being on steam. Release a demo of your product yourself, give away finished copies to those "celebrity gamers" and let them do the advertising for you. Most of my library is not even purchased from steam, but from sites like GOG and some sites of the developers themselves. Some of my games are even flash games, that made it big on Newgrounds and managed to launch their own companies based on that previous success in the Flash platform.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Oh, so now it's a excuse of Steam having so many customers? Okay then. I can play that angle. How many customers does Amazon have? Roughly a lot more than Steam, Origin, XBL and PSN combined.

Yet Amazon has a 12 hours or less assurance on answering emails and has fully functional call centres that get things done. Amazon somehow manages to have one of the best CSR infrastructures for any company its size and Amazon handles issues regarding products sold by them and by resellers who use Amazon.

So what's Steams excuse? What is so difficult with CSR that Valve can't afford to implement something that isn't embarrassing to the rest of their service? People on these forums act like Steams shit doesn't stink and have such twisted double standards when it comes to criticizing anything they do.

How many product other than game/other software does Steam sell?

Steam does not make the kind of money Amazon does. Valve also does not make yearly casualField game to milk player of money.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

goat simulator

Goat Simulator is a bad game? since when? on what grounds? its a satire of other simulators and it gets updated often, not to mention its fun, and cheap, its getting an MMO addon too i read

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Goat Simulator is a bad game? since when? on what grounds? its a satire of other simulators and it gets updated often, not to mention its fun, and cheap, its getting an MMO addon too i read

It's boring and bad "satire."

It's boring and bad "satire."

eh, ive seen enough to disagree with you

i think its a good game

There are far better examples of games that are 'bad' in Early Access, unfinished games

Spacebase DF-9

stuff like that

Not a goofy joke game designed around ridiculing other Pointless Simulators

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The MMO part is from what I recall a "fake" MMO.

And it was released because people wanted it to be. That's obviously the worse thing that could happen /s

Came here for some intelligent minds, but find sheep following gaben everywhere... ugh ltt... ugh...

Yes he doesnt like what steam has become. Yes he is right in leaving. And if anyone alone can change what steam is, is the curators. if Nerd3 and TB left alone, steam would notice and try to atleast pretend to fix stuff. 

the exellence of the LTT community shows... so many idiots ugh...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

eh, ive seen enough to disagree with you

i think its a good game

There are far better examples of games that are 'bad' in Early Access, unfinished games

Spacebase DF-9

stuff like that

Not a goofy joke game designed around ridiculing other Pointless Simulators

I've played it, it sucks. Maybe 5 minutes of shitty humor and it's not worth any more time.

Came here for some intelligent minds, but find sheep following gaben everywhere... ugh ltt... ugh...

Yes he doesnt like what steam has become. Yes he is right in leaving. And if anyone alone can change what steam is, is the curators. if Nerd3 and TB left alone, steam would notice and try to atleast pretend to fix stuff. 

the exellence of the LTT community shows... so many idiots ugh...

You expected intelligence, that was your first mistake.

You expected intelligence, that was your first mistake.

i weep for LTT community. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I don't, I laugh as the flames grow.

you do realise this forum is turning into toms hardware? just trolls and idiots... guess @tmcclelland455 stepped in just in time xD

I've noticed, that's why I stopped posting as much.

>posted 1k posts in a month...

>posted 1k posts in a month...

I got something like 6-8k posts very, very quickly. I wasn't that far behind where I am now a few months ago.

I got something like 6-8k posts very, very quickly. I wasn't that far behind where I am now a few months ago.

your skype said 13k... a month ago, and 14k, what now... last week i think ;) 

your skype said 13k... a month ago, and 14k, what now... last week i think ;)

Pretty sure that was over a month ago.

Pretty sure that was over a month ago.

nope, because it startled me when i saw 14k and did some math in my head ;)

nope, because it startled me when i saw 14k and did some math in my head ;)

Yeah but I didn't get 14k recently, I got it a bit ago and forgot to update.

He's right. I mean, he's being stupid by thinking he could pull off a non-profit Steam. But Steam isn't what it used to be. I can accept that Steam is more open to developers, especially indie developers, but the problem is that this program is being exploited by greedy, lazy developers who steal money by producing shitty games and censoring all negative opinion of them while Valve allow it to happen instead of punishing the developers by taking their game off Steam or by cautioning them about their practices.

Ideally, Early Access would work by a select group of people testing a game to see whether or not it's broken. If the game is broken then they would "vote" the game off Steam until such time when improvements are made. And to get to early access in the first place, the developer has to submit a working version of the game to Valve and this game will be tested by a small team of people.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

@LukaP @AlwaysFSX

You can complain all you want about how anyone who disagrees with Nerd3 is stupid but please don't use LinusTechTips as your private chat.

I don't think it's fair of you to say that this thread is full of people just praising Valve. I have seen quite a few posts that don't think Steam is perfect but disagrees with Nerd3's arguments as to why it is bad. Personally I have no problem with Steam being open to which games to sell. Like I said before I prefer having 10 extra shitty games if it means 1 more good game is there. If Nerd was saying that Steam is starting to lag behind for example Origin by not having as good refund policy then I would have taken his side, but since he is complaining about having too much choice and wants a walled garden then I have to take Steam's side on this.

@LukaP @AlwaysFSX

You can complain all you want about how anyone who disagrees with Nerd3 is stupid but please don't use LinusTechTips as your private chat.

I don't think it's fair of you to say that this thread is full of people just praising Valve. I have seen quite a few posts that don't think Steam is perfect but disagrees with Nerd3's arguments as to why it is bad. Personally I have no problem with Steam being open to which games to sell. Like I said before I prefer having 10 extra shitty games if it means 1 more good game is there. If Nerd was saying that Steam is starting to lag behind for example Origin by not having as good refund policy then I would have taken his side, but since he is complaining about having too much choice and wants a walled garden then I have to take Steam's side on this.

It's the idea that people either have to wholly agree or disagree with an idea someone states. Nothing is black and white, and people are sheep if they just follow without questioning.

Steam is not perfect, it has much to improve.

But saying it is bad because it has too many games is kind of a dumb argument.

I agree with the opinion of "I don't mind having 10 crap games to be able to have 1 good game".

Steam opening up more was bound to happen sometime. It is the biggest digital store for games.

People need to start researching before they buy games instead of "this game looks like its fun despite having 90% negative reviews, so I'll buy it and cry if it isnt good".

Ideally, Early Access would work by a select group of people testing a game to see whether or not it's broken. If the game is broken then they would "vote" the game off Steam until such time when improvements are made. And to get to early access in the first place, the developer has to submit a working version of the game to Valve and this game will be tested by a small team of people.

I agree with this. And if the game was approved, sold in early access and the dev couldn't finish it, he would have to give the money back.

Talking about lazy devs? There wouldnt be none. You either finish your game that people have already paid for, or you would give them their money back

"but what if the dev couldn't give the money?" - not the consumers problem. You don't finish what you promised and don't give the money back, you aren't allowed on Steam anymore.

About the crap games, there should be a way to report broken games for starters. If it gets too many reports, the dev gets a certain period of time to fix it or have the game removed from the store (not bad games because bad =/= broken. sometimes the game functions well but is just bad and that doesnt mean the dev should be punished from people not researching)

This would solve another problem: you release a broken game, scam some people and refuse to fix it? your game is out of steam until it is fixed or forever.

My personal opinion on this is that I DO NOT want valve deciding what games are worthy. I like to be shown the options, and I will decide for myself what I spend my hard earned money on. This approach has served me well so far, I tend to do a few minutes research before buying.

I can understand the point that some people want the guarantee that they can buy anything on a whim in a steam sale and it will be good. Maybe offering refunds will help.

It's the idea that people either have to wholly agree or disagree with an idea someone states. Nothing is black and white, and people are sheep if they just follow without questioning.

can not agree more. I fucking love steam so far, got many useful features... but half of the games there are shit, and its entirely their fault