YouTuber NerdCubed Denounces Steam, Plans on curating own store

HellaflushMcSwaggins

Well, fair play to him. Really!

It's one thing to whine about things that are broken but to give up revenue/presence somewhere as important as Steam takes balls and a decent soul and I hope YouTubers follow suit in moving away from YouTube (when there's a decent service to go to obviously) who bemoan the practices of Google, the problems they face on youTube (that should be addressed but aren't) and in the interests of nobbling soulless monopolistic corporations.

If only more of us that often say "I hate xxxxx but I still give them my money/interweb packets" actually did something instead of mumbling at our monitors!

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

you do realise this forum is turning into toms hardware? just trolls and idiots... guess @tmcclelland455 stepped in just in time xD

That I did bae.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Came here for some intelligent minds, but find sheep following gaben everywhere... ugh ltt... ugh...

Yes he doesnt like what steam has become. Yes he is right in leaving. And if anyone alone can change what steam is, is the curators. if Nerd3 and TB left alone, steam would notice and try to atleast pretend to fix stuff.

the exellence of the LTT community shows... so many idiots ugh...

PRAISE GABEN YOU HEATHEN.

Valve fanboys are just as bad as atheists in telling everyone what they shouldn't or should believe in. It's pretty sad that Valve gets such a free pass to do whatever despite them not really doing much at all.

But hey, I got hats and CSGO skins so all good.

I can't wait for MS to wake up, run the W10 gaming side more seriously, and give Valve a right kick in the ass in competition.

Well he's correct in that thousands of god-awful games are making their way onto Steam, including outright scams like WarZ and many Early Access games that were never going to be completed by the devs. However this is almost necessary if you want loads of titles on Steam, in particular a plethora of indie titles.

WarZ has had its ups and downs. The biggest problem they had was adding in features the community wanted and demanded that had a negative effect on game play, Yet all the community did was cry about the way they wanted to run their marketplace, Which you didn't even "need" to use.. I personally don't feel it was a scam at all. They are coming out with Aftermath (Warz part 2 if you will) and for alot of people it will cost the player nothing. EA, Ubi would make certain that it was a cash grab. DayZ is an early access and I regret buying into it, Warz/ISS I don't regret getting in early at all.  I prefer good game play over graphics any day (HL2 to this day). If you can get a game with nice visuals and game play its a bonus... But not always the case.

I wish instead of Nerdcubed saying this that it would have been Total Biscuit so I can see all the people say that they agree with him.

ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ : Planning Stages.

i7 4790K | MSI Krait | 480 GB SSD | R9 295 x2 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Watercooled

Came here for some intelligent minds, but find sheep following gaben everywhere... ugh ltt... ugh...

Yes he doesnt like what steam has become. Yes he is right in leaving. And if anyone alone can change what steam is, is the curators. if Nerd3 and TB left alone, steam would notice and try to atleast pretend to fix stuff.

the exellence of the LTT community shows... so many idiots ugh...

10yvf8m.gif

I wish instead of Nerdcubed saying this that it would have been Total Biscuit so I can see all the people say that they agree with him.

If TB had said it, all of PCMR and their worshippers would've said "DAE STEAM IS SHITE AM I RITE GUIZE!?!?" 

God, the sheep mentality amongst those who claim they aren't sheep is sad. 

If TB had said it, all of PCMR and their worshippers would've said "DAE STEAM IS SHITE AM I RITE GUIZE!?!?" 

God, the sheep mentality amongst those who claim they aren't sheep is sad. 

TB has criticized valve a lot iirc. On another note, there really is no excuse for them to have such abysmal customer support.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

TB has criticized valve a lot irrc. On another note, there really is no excuse for them to have such abysmal customer support.

There isn't, on any level. Maybe 10 years ago when Gabe had less money than I do and Steam was a total joke of a service and everything was in its infancy. 

But now? With what they make off their 1st party games + the cut they take off every single transaction? They can't afford robust CS services? I'm calling bullshit. How can Origin realize that CS is a priority in a few years and Valve hasn't? 

Its simple. They take us for granted and the sales we give them. No one really holds a fire to their feet about continually improving their service. Cheap games (often shitty games that are cheap, lets be honest) do not overcome the fact that Valve sucks when a consumer has issues with the service, a product they bought or otherwise needs simple help. 

There isn't, on any level. Maybe 10 years ago when Gabe had less money than I do and Steam was a total joke of a service and everything was in its infancy. 

But now? With what they make off their 1st party games + the cut they take off every single transaction? They can't afford robust CS services? I'm calling bullshit. How can Origin realize that CS is a priority in a few years and Valve hasn't? 

Its simple. They take us for granted and the sales we give them. No one really holds a fire to their feet about continually improving their service. Cheap games (often shitty games that are cheap, lets be honest) do not overcome the fact that Valve sucks when a consumer has issues with the service, a product they bought or otherwise needs simple help. 

They're basically a monopoly. I like the features that they have, but they have gotten too big for their britches and needs a good whack to the head with some good ole competition. 

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

They're basically a monopoly. I like the features that they have, but they have gotten too big for their britches and needs a good whack to the head with some good ole competition. 

I think TB said something like that recently when he criticized Valve even when Mr. Newell personally saw to it that Hatred was put back on Steam.

Off-topic: I couldn't help but laugh though, when Origin posted on their social media and on the client itself about their sale season sometime in 2013 saying something along the lines of "Games that you'll actually play." which is totally true.

I think TB said something like that recently when he criticized Valve even when Mr. Newell personally saw to it that Hatred was put back on Steam.

Off-topic: I couldn't help but laugh though, when Origin posted on their social media and on the client itself about their sale season sometime in 2013 saying something along the lines of "Games that you'll actually play." which is totally true.

Origin isn't wrong. Steams process is "who gives a shit what we sell, rather we give a shit about how much we can sell". Valve is quantity over quality these days. They'll let me into Greenlight with some shitty text based game when what they need to do is ban people like that from even logging into their Steam accounts ever again. Quality control is not some "OMG STOP OPPRESSING MY GAMING FREEDOM". Lots  of games on Steam are bad and they need to feel bad. 

And as per that Hatred thing? If Valve had balls in the first place they wouldn't have taken it down anyways. But nope. We live in an era where you can depict someone having their body dissolved by acid on TV (Breaking Bad) or straight up strangled and murdered (Breaking Bad) or assassinated with a shot to the head (once again, good ol Breaking Bad) but suddenly when a game is telling you to kill the authority figures and innocents, nope. Its too edgy for them, it has to be removed. 

"OMG STOP OPPRESSING MY GAMING FREEDOM".

bYbICsd.jpg

Off-topic: I couldn't help but laugh though, when Origin posted on their social media and on the client itself about their sale season sometime in 2013 saying something along the lines of "Games that you'll actually play." which is totally subjective.

Fixed that for you.

Quality control is not some "OMG STOP OPPRESSING MY GAMING FREEDOM".

And yet, that's a completely valid argument.

I have a backlog on Origin and GOG just like I do on Steam. I'm enjoying the largely subjective and counter-intuitive points brought up in this thread so far. Keep em comin'.

Fixed that for you.

No, you don't get it. Almost all of the games people buy on sale via Steam will play them for ten minutes and give up, while even more don't even touch them. There's been statistics of playtime during sale season and a time afterward showing that barely anyone even plays the games that they buy.

So no, "subjective" isn't the fixed answer.

Shit games is one thing but broken games is another. Like that Spartan vs Zombies, how did that get through? Doesn't matter that its free, its blatant copyright infringement! Yet, its still on the store.

No, you don't get it. Almost all of the games people buy on sale via Steam will play them for ten minutes and give up, while even more don't even touch them. There's been statistics of playtime during sale season and a time afterward showing that barely anyone even plays the games that they buy.

So no, "subjective" isn't the fixed answer.

And yet, the same can be said with GOG or Origin. I just told you that. The reason these other services aren't analysed to the same degree is because they either don't have the large user base or library of games that Steam has.

And yet, the same can be said with GOG or Origin. I just told you that. The reason these other services aren't analysed to the same degree is because they either don't have the large user base or library of games that Steam has.

I could see it with GOG, but not with what was on sale on Origin during the time period I was referring to. There were games there that were good AAA titles that people would actually player over these poorly made indie games that cost $0.25 on a Steam sale

I could see it with GOG, but not with what was on sale on Origin during the time period I was referring to. There were games there that were good AAA titles that people would actually player over these poorly made indie games that cost $0.25 on a Steam sale

Ok, let's talk about the Origin sale you're referring to, I bought a couple games during that sale, Dead Space 3 and Alice Madness Returns. Both of which I've still haven't put any time into to this day... Now going back into Steam, I've put 40+ hours into Brick Force, a game that is not very well received and is broken in some ways that are very Pay2Win. But I've had fun playing it anyway because I made my own fun.

So can you see how your argument is subjective? What's good or bad to some may not be the same case for others.

Ok, let's talk about the Origin sale you're referring to, I bought a couple games during that sale, Dark Space 3 and Alice Madness Returns. Both of which I've still haven't put any time into to this day... Now going back into Steam, I've put 40+ hours into Brick Force, a game that is not very well received and is broken in some ways that are very Pay2Win. But I've had fun playing it anyway because I made my own fun.

So can you see how your argument is subjective? What's good or bad to some may not be the same case for others.

I feel like determining whether or not my original statement is subjective is besides the point. I'm trying to make the point that Origin's sales have games that people will actually play - since they're not indie games, they're relatively new AAA titles - as opposed to most of the games that on sale via Steam that people will buy and never bother installing and even playing at all.

I watched the video, and he really has a lot of good points.

I regret giving steam so much of my money

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I feel like determining whether or not my original statement is subjective is besides the point. I'm trying to make the point that Origin's sales have games that people will actually play - since they're not indie games, they're relatively new AAA titles - as opposed to most of the games that on sale via Steam that people will buy and never bother installing and even playing at all.

You can feel that way all you'd like, but my point was a direct counter-point to yours. Jesus, I even gave you examples...

Seems like you want to live in a world full of AAA nonsense like pre-order bonuses, day-one DLCs and the like... Well, have fun with that, i'm done.

I rarely open Steam anymore. And everytime I do, I'm blasted with popup adds I can't seem to disable anymore. And everythings that shown is shitty early access games.

Some of the reason why it's gone to shit, is probably that some of the other "good" games, are being kept on Origin and Uplay - And they need to have something to sell.

You can feel that way all you'd like, but my point was a direct counter-point to yours. Jesus, I even gave you examples...

Seems like you want to live in a world full of AAA nonsense like pre-order bonuses, day-one DLCs and the like... Well, have fun with that, i'm done.

You're basing my entire opinion on gaming from my one point I tried to make.

GG