[confirmed] Elder Scrolls online goes Subscription-less but not quite F2P

Misanthrope

The Elder Scrolls Online drops subs, console release date announced

Apparently rumors and speculations were correct, though it's not quite F2P but a combo of the Guild Wars model and F2P: Buy the game retail price, support it with cosmetic microtransactions:

New players will only need to purchase the game and they will be able to play it without restrictions, for as long as they like. The sub-free version will be supported with “special, optional downloadable content available for purchase,” and through an in-game Crown Store which will include “customization items.”

I am conflicted here: on the one side it's gone from expensive to bargain, but still other F2P games don't need to charge you initially so there's that.

Sauce:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/21/elder-scrolls-online-no-subs-ps4-pc-xbox-one/

-------

Current Rig

-------

Eh...don't play it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

People still play eso? 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

so they are pulling a guildwars2? thats not bad at allbut that dosent help the crap game

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

even IF it was f2p, I still would not play it, its just a generic MMO with skyrim paint

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm glad I stopped paying my subscription after a month. It was bound to happen.

Imo its not a bad game, I just couldn't justify the monthly cost.

At least its better than RIFT

This is just an intermediary step. They'll go full free to play in a couple of months.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I'm glad I stopped paying my subscription after a month. It was bound to happen.

Imo its not a bad game, I just couldn't justify the monthly cost.

At least its better than RIFT

This (especially the RIFT part lol). It actually wasn't bad, it was just not worth 15$ a month.

I'm personally glad to hear this. I really loved playing the beta. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

so they are pulling a guildwars2? thats not bad at allbut that dosent help the crap game

Eh Guild Wars 2 was buy-to-play to begin with, it's more like they're pulling a The Secret World.

This is just an intermediary step. They'll go full free to play in a couple of months.

Why do you think so? The only other game that used to have sub that went buy-to-play, The Secret World, is still buy-to-play 2 years later.

B2P is a great model, it's all we need, F2P sucks donkeycrotch.

Not that I would play ESO anyway

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

biggest flaw of Skyrim? when a friend messages me on steam or teamspeak saying they're online and wants to play something

all they had to do was do Skyrim multiplayer. All they had to do was make it so that instead of logging off Skyrim, I could play in small parties with friends and keep going. It didn't need anything else. It didn't need to follow the "MMO" formula. I could care less about big city hubs, auction/trading houses, guilds, pvp warzones - if you told me I could play another Skyrim/Oblivion without having to log off once friends wanted to play something with me, I would have been on board. Make the world the playground of an MMO - and let the players run free like they do in Skyrim.

I just can't believe they didn't see that potential, and instead just used the traditional MMO template........

biggest flaw of Skyrim?

That is not a "flaw" on skyrim: Stop thinking that every single fucking game needs multiplayer or co-op. The reason it doesn't, couldn't and shouldn't have co-op is that it would cripple it's best feature: modding.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They finally adopted the Guild Wars payment model. Yay. Maybe now I'll get it.

COMIC SANS

People still play eso? 

I do.

even IF it was f2p, I still would not play it, its just a generic MMO with skyrim paint

Nah it ain't.

I do.

Nah it ain't.

it really is, with generic MMO style questing, medicore graphics and storylines and MEH combat

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

it really is, with generic MMO style questing, medicore graphics and storylines and MEH combat

Questing is boring, but the game isn't just a reskin of the traditional MMO. I've played WoW for 6 years, and I've played ESO since launch, so..

meh... got bored of it during the beta, more stoked for Guild Wars 2 and Black Desert Online currently

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I really enjoyed it but didn't have the free time to pay for another subscription. I will certainly put some occasional time into it now. I found it perfectly enjoyable to play it as an rpg and neglect all the mmo features.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

That's how I felt. It didn't do anything better then any of its competition. Sub par, tasteless.

Questing is boring, but the game isn't just a reskin of the traditional MMO. I've played WoW for 6 years, and I've played ESO since launch, so..

its still very MMO, and not like Skyrim/Oblivion

From what I saw in the betas I have to agree it is a cut and paste MMO(With more than its share of bugs), but for those who like TES lore this could be a good deal.

From what I saw in the betas I have to agree it is a cut and paste MMO(With more than its share of bugs), but for those who like TES lore this could be a good deal.

but the story is pretty pants and almost none existent, so even for lore enthusiasts its hard to recommend

but the story is pretty pants and almost none existent, so even for lore enthusiasts its hard to recommend

Mostly yes, but there is still enough there to be worth the time if you care a lot about the lore, worth the money on the other hand, maybe(probably) not.

I might actually play it now, as I didn't agree with the monthly subscription, I don't agree with it for any game, but this at least makes it more available for people like me.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I can see that perspective and I agree. I told my guildies that I feel like they should have just called it something else instead of carrying the TES name since that brings on a lot of expectations, that which they failed for the most part.

To me I'm not playing an Elder Scrolls game, I'm just playing a good PvP game is all, haha.

It's not cut and paste at all. They did things differently than WoW and even Guild Wars 2, but at the same time they still didn't do it perfectly.

I can see that perspective and I agree. I told my guildies that I feel like they should have just called it something else instead of carrying the TES name since that brings on a lot of expectations, that which they failed for the most part.

To me I'm not playing an Elder Scrolls game, I'm just playing a good PvP game is all, haha.

It's not cut and paste at all. They did things differently than WoW and even Guild Wars 2, but at the same time they still didn't do it perfectly.

WoW and GW2 aren't the only MMO's out there, I only saw one feature I hadn't personally seen in another MMORPG and that was the ability to go first person, and that was poorly implemented and nearly unplayable.

I still liked the game, just not near enough for me to pay a monthly fee, or honestly even a single fee until they prove they can fix the long standing bugs/issues.