HELP: switching between work-laptop and home-desktop displaying stuff to my monitors

koko_1989

Hi All,
I need to find a solution to the following need:

(see picture of my current setup)
Going forward I will need to be able to also connect a work-laptop to these 3 screens.

My idea so far, is to put the center screen on a monitor arm, creating some extra space underneath.
Where I could place the laptop when I need to work AND some sort of "switch" or "dock", which would have the screens connected to it, and also my home desktop PC.

And then this device would somehow need to enable me to easily switch between displaying the work-laptop desktop OR the home-PC desktop. Ideally with just a press of a button.

Is there any such laptop-dock OR (hdmi or DP) "switch" in existence for this purpose?

(I can provide more exact resolution and screen-refresh needs as well if needed)

desktop setup.jpg

A KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch is a device that allows you to control multiple computers with one set of peripherals (keyboard, mouse, and monitor). Some KVM switches also support audio and USB peripherals.

Look for a KVM switch that supports the number of monitors you have (in your case, 3 screens) and the input/output connections you need (such as DisplayPort or HDMI).

Connect your home desktop PC and work laptop to the KVM switch using their respective video outputs (DisplayPort or HDMI).

Connect your monitors to the KVM switch's output ports.

Use the buttons or hotkeys on the KVM switch to toggle between displaying the desktop of your home PC and your work laptop on the monitors.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

Do you want all the screens to change or only one.

If only one, if the monitor has a second HDMI port or a separate display port, connect the second computer to it and change the input on the screen using the monitors own onscreen control.

If more, follow SavageNeo's (above) suggestion (I'm too lazy to copy and paste it.)

In the next few months at least, I expect I will need all of them to switch, unfortunately... but good point !
And super great point to mention peripherals as well, I totally forgot about that being a factor too.... thx!

I'm gonna look into KVM switches next.

Any of you have any experience with those devices? Any tips to share? 🙂