Will I be able to duplicate the screen instead of extend the screen

cns00

My gaming laptop has a 1080p 60hz screen, a gtx 1080 graphics card, an HDMI 2.0 port and a mini DisplayPort 1.3. I need to buy a new screen which is 4k 120hz. I am unsure if I will get a tv which only has HDMI or I will get a pc monitor which has HDMI and a DisplayPort.

I will set the Windows resolution to 1080p because my laptop is not strong enough to play games in 4k. I know that I can extend the laptop screen to the new screen and I set the new screen as the main display and the refresh rate of the new screen will be 120hz if I extend. However, extending the screen is messy because I need to be in front of the laptop to use the touchpad and I can't see the new screen from that position because it's to the left of the laptop. Thus I need to buy a new wireless keyboard which also has a touchpad and I need to buy an external usb hub because I don't have any free usb ports for the usb plug of the wireless keyboard.

It's easier on me if I duplicate the laptop screen but I am unsure what will happen if I duplicate a 60hz laptop screen to a new screen which is 120hz. Will the refresh rate of the new screen stay 120hz if I do that? Or that won't work and I need to set the refresh rate of the new screen to 60hz in the Windows display settings if I want to duplicate?

24 minutes ago, cns00 said:

Will the refresh rate of the new screen stay 120hz if I do that?

itll be on whatever the primary screen setting is, so 1080p60. I would say to make the 4K screen your primary when your monitor is plugged in for the first time and set your main laptop screen to disable. This will set it to turn off whenever an external display is plugged in, or atleast whatever monitor that matches the ID of your new monitor.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Duplicate keeps everything the same so 1080p 60hz.

You can just have a bluetooth keyboard + trackpad combi btw

As you mentioned, extending the display might not be convenient for your setup due to the physical positioning of the screens. In that case, you may need to prioritize whether you prefer the higher refresh rate of the external monitor or the convenience of duplicating the display. If duplicating the display is more important, you can do so, but be aware that the refresh rate of the external monitor may be limited to 60Hz in that configuration.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

If your graphics chip supports it each screen can have its own resolution and refresh rates.