EVGA GTX 980 hydrocopper pictured (AIO)

ahhming

why are they tarnishing the Hydro Copper name ???

this isnt Hydro copper !

I think JayzTwoCents mentioned that the HC name for this particular card was just a placeholder in one of his CES videos

The fan on the R9 295x2 is only for cooling power delivery.

AMD had no choice but to go with the setup they did as you can't install a blower on the R9 295x2 design.

An AIO liquid setup for the TITAN Z would turn out to be identical to the R9 295x2.

BS. It just might require making channels in the plate to directly flow around the upper edge to the outside. Think like a maze, but of course much simpler.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

now if they would release a 970 version :)

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

umm thats great and all and im glad everyone can use it... but the hydro copper has lost its special place...

what happened to this??

GTX-680-126.jpg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

now if they would release a 970 version  :)

Why, are you having overheating issues? There doesn't seem much point in overclocking Maxwell, I haven't seen a case yet where the GPU doesn't limit overclocking way before the cooler.

No. The 295x2 blows hot air into the case. This design doesn't. Everything goes outside

How do you work that one out? Firstly a blower style cooler expels air outwards in all directions.

Centrifugal_fan.gif

The purpose of the shroud is to create a path for the air to travel. This cooler has used the reference blower but removed most of the shroud. I'm curious as to what you are expecting to guide the air out of the case here.

Secondly there's a limit to how much "hot air" you can blow into a case once you've taken the GPU out of the equation. That's dealt with by the liquid cooling and is removed at the radiator. They both blow "hot" air into the case, but it's only being heated by the VRM so you're massively exaggerating the impact.

Why, are you having overheating issues? There doesn't seem much point in overclocking Maxwell, I haven't seen a case yet where the GPU doesn't limit overclocking way before the cooler.

How do you work that one out? Firstly a blower style cooler expels air outwards in all directions.

The purpose of the shroud is to create a path for the air to travel. This cooler has used the reference blower but removed most of the shroud. I'm curious as to what you are expecting to guide the air out of the case here.

Secondly there's a limit to how much "hot air" you can blow into a case once you've taken the GPU out of the equation. That's dealt with by the liquid cooling and is removed at the radiator. They both blow "hot" air into the case, but it's only being heated by the VRM so you're massively exaggerating the impact.

Look again. The plate underneath has a gap for air to travel into. This is also a prototype and not the finished model. The final shroud could come out to be almost air tight.

As per the 295x2, please tell me I don't have to explain that...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

umm thats great and all and im glad everyone can use it... but the hydro copper has lost its special place...

what happened to this??

It's still here. EVGA hasn't come up with a naming scheme for the new ones, and gigabyte already trademarked the WaterForce name.

Look again. The plate underneath has a gap for air to travel into. This is also a prototype and not the finished model. The final shroud could come out to be almost air tight.

As per the 295x2, please tell me I don't have to explain that...

IF that is going to be a sealed shroud, yes. But as of right now there is no indication that it is going to be.

Explain what? All that fan is cooling is vram and vrm. All it needs is rudimentary airflow and you're going on about the 295X2 fan as if it's dissipating 250W of heat into the case. Which is bullshit. Who cares if it goes into the case? The effect is going to be negligible.

IF that is going to be a sealed shroud, yes. But as of right now there is no indication that it is going to be.

Explain what? All that fan is cooling is vram and vrm. All it needs is rudimentary airflow and you're going on about the 295X2 fan as if it's dissipating 250W of heat into the case. Which is bullshit. Who cares if it goes into the case? The effect is going to be negligible.

between the RAM and VRMs on that card you have about 90W give or take, and the effect is not negligible when it comes to your RAM and motherboard chips.  Linus has a number of demo videos about this. If you could get quiet, high-performance blower coolers, they'd be the idea solution all around.

between the RAM and VRMs on that card you have about 90W give or take, and the effect is not negligible when it comes to your RAM and motherboard chips.  Linus has a number of demo videos about this. If you could get quiet, high-performance blower coolers, they'd be the idea solution all around.

Do you have a source for this? Because that is putting the VRM and RAM as outputting a third of the entire power consumption of a 290X card (not GPU, the whole card) purely as heat. And that sounds more than a little off.

Do you have a source for this? Because that is putting the VRM and RAM as outputting a third of the entire power consumption of a 290X card (not GPU, the whole card) purely as heat. And that sounds more than a little off.

Ever checked the wattage on high clock rate DDR3? As you continue pushing clock rates the heat generated grows almost quadratically. GDDR5 operates in the 4000MHz range now, with effective clocks in the 7000MHz range. It's not off at all. You have 2 512-bit buses on that card, or 64 GDDR5 chips (4 per large chip seen here http://www.techpowerup.com/199669/amd-announces-the-radeon-r9-295x2-graphics-card.html).

Also, don't forget TDP isn't a linearly growing figure. If heat density reaches a certain point then you need cooling which far surpasses it to keep the flow fast enough to dissipate it, even if that cooling exceeds the raw amount of heat generated. In truth your calculation is off because TDP is not very well understood unless you're intimately familiar with AMD's, Nvidia's, and Intel's measures of it and have at least an introductory background in thermodynamics. I'd wager if you took the GPU chips out of the equation you'd only have 45-50W to deal with instead of my estimated 90.

If, for instance, node shrinks didn't reduce electrical usage and heat output, you could pack the same number of transistors into a tighter configuration, greatly increasing heat density without increasing output, and you'd have to have stronger cooling to compensate.

reference blower would look even better then this :D

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I wouldn't do this to a high end card. GTX 970,980 or R9 290X level cards should have custom loops and full blocks on them. If you are going to pay huge amounts of extra money for better temps then get the best. EVGA GTX 980 Hydrocopper is $800. For that I could get a regular 980 and full cover block and give it it's own loop that would be better in every way except factory support.

$550 for GTX 980 reference model pick your favorite brand

$120 for a full cover waterblock

$120 for CoolerMaster Eisberg 240 or Glacer 240L

$30 for misc. fittings and tubing

= $820 ***WITH*** your CPU also watercooled. Hydrocopper cards have always been the cream of the crop cards and they have always been the worst value cards on the market.

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

I wouldn't do this to a high end card. GTX 970,980 or R9 290X level cards should have custom loops and full blocks on them. If you are going to pay huge amounts of extra money for better temps then get the best. EVGA GTX 980 Hydrocopper is $800. For that I could get a regular 980 and full cover block and give it it's own loop that would be better in every way except factory support.

= $820 ***WITH*** your CPU also watercooled. Hydrocopper cards have always been the cream of the crop cards and they have always been the worst value cards on the market.

It also wouldn't have the higher end PCB and voltage delivery EVGA invests into its HC cards. You are paying for binning, quality, and aesthetics.

While I agree the value may not be there, some (myself included) would rather buy teh card with the block installed from the factory. Logically speaking there is no reason for it, but just prefer not taking apart a new card (but then again, I would not buy a brand new card anyway).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

It's a cute copy, I'll give it that.

Do you have any ounce of rational thought in your noggin'? I see you making the dumbest comments all the time.

Meh.

Still prefer my <$100 kraken G10 + H55 AIO combination. Can put it on many different cards, is extremely effective (~60 degrees on an R9 290 at full load) and looks better IMO. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I'm waiting for the Corsair version for the 900 series (or better yet an updated NZXT Kraken G10) because the tubes on this come directly from the side, they probably wouldn't clear the case window for me.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Do you have any ounce of rational thought in your noggin'? I see you making the dumbest comments all the time.

295X2_Open.jpg63b6b35d_DEAL-WITH-IT.jpeg

I'm waiting for the Corsair version for the 900 series (or better yet an updated NZXT Kraken G10) because the tubes on this come directly from the side, they probably wouldn't clear the case window for me.

Why does the kraken need to be updated? I believe the G10 already fits/works on the reference 970/980s... It's only some of the non-reference cards that it doesn't work, and even then people are finding simple fixes and methods to make them work. ;)

The G10 is proving to be quite versatile and can be used with a range of asetek-based AIOs.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Why does the kraken need to be updated? I believe the G10 already fits/works on the reference 970/980s... It's only some of the non-reference cards that it doesn't work, and even then people are finding simple fixes and methods to make them work. ;)

The G10 is proving to be quite versatile and can be used with a range of asetek-based AIOs.

I want it to make full contact to cool the rest of the parts like the VRM the way Corsairs version does. The current G10 just has that fan, which doesn't cool the rest of the parts enough. The GPU is nice and cool but other parts overheat without buying small heatspreaders that stick with thermal paste but are known for falling off.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

heatsync on the vram is being cooled by air?

vram gets hot enough to crash the drivers sometimes, right?

y u no cool heatsync with water? -_-

SPAAAAAACE!!!