Qualcomm integrating smartphone kill switch into Snapdragon processors

XTankSlayerX

Qualcomm-Snapdragon-Chip-932.jpg

On the hardware side of things, Qualcomm has announced they are working on a solution for stolen and lost devices called SafeSwitch, which will allow users to remotely lock their devices to secure personal information. Once the device is found, it can then be unlocked and re-activated.

This SafeSwitch technology integrates hardware and software since it’s being designed in tandem with Qualcomm processors. The hardware and software security begins working when the device boots up, so it’s not going to be something that’s easy to circumvent.

Source: http://www.talkandroid.com/232789-qualcomm-integrating-smartphone-kill-switch-into-snapdragon-processors/?utm_source=feedburner-ta&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AndroidNewsGoogleAndroidForums+%28TalkAndroid+-+Android+News%2C+Rumours%2C+and+Updates%29

I remember phones getting these in a software form but it's nice that Qualcomm has started doing this with their hardware

Bad

I don't want a kill switch on my device. It's just a backdoor that will inevitably be exploited by either some US government agency (hello NSA) or some hacker.

But what if you for some reason need to kill off you phone? Then it's a handy feature.

Cool for personal security. Bad once nsa gets its hands on it, then best korea gets their hands on nsa mass killswitch and shitstorm happens

But what if you for some reason need to kill off you phone? Then it's a handy feature.

You don't need to do that in proprietary hardware. With Android 5.0 encryption is on by default so this won't add any extra protection for your personal files (they are already safe). As for bricking the device so that thieves can't use it, I am pretty sure there are a dozen services that does that in software (Android already has it built in).

One of the "features" of this is "resist chip replacement" which to me sounds like "if you try to repair your phone, it will stop working". Phone manufacturers would probably like that a lot. Since it also checks for firmware changes it might become harder to root devices.

Another bad thing that's included with this is what Qualcomm calls "Snapdragon StudioAccess". It's a special technology for video encryption that movie studios can use. Why is this bad? Because it means movie studios will be able to make videos that only work on Qualcomm devices. If you buy a movie that's "Snapdragon StudioAccess Certified" or whatever it will be called, then it won't work on non-Qualcomm devices.

I see a ton of drawbacks with this, and no benefits. How about we develop a standard for hardware accelerated encryption for eMMC instead of wasting time and resources on bullshit security that will most likely just end up hurting consumers instead.

You don't need to do that in proprietary hardware. With Android 5.0 encryption is on by default so this won't add any extra protection for your personal files (they are already safe). As for bricking the device so that thieves can't use it, I am pretty sure there are a dozen services that does that in software (Android already has it built in).

One of the "features" of this is "resist chip replacement" which to me sounds like "if you try to repair your phone, it will stop working". Phone manufacturers would probably like that a lot. Since it also checks for firmware changes it might become harder to root devices.

Another bad thing that's included with this is what Qualcomm calls "Snapdragon StudioAccess". It's a special technology for video encryption that movie studios can use. Why is this bad? Because it means movie studios will be able to make videos that only work on Qualcomm devices. If you buy a movie that's "Snapdragon StudioAccess Certified" or whatever it will be called, then it won't work on non-Qualcomm devices.

I see a ton of drawbacks with this, and no benefits. How about we develop a standard for hardware accelerated encryption for eMMC instead of wasting time and resources on bullshit security that will most likely just end up hurting consumers instead.

Didn't know that android has encryption :0 (I've only tried ios and Windoes phone). 

Anyways, I get it now. 

Well I'm never getting a device with new Qualcomm parts ever. NSA. Help me Intel Mobile Division your my only hope.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I'm fine if it's a hardware kill switch that can't be acceded by some jackass.

do you think it wont be even easier to get screwed over with hardware?, you can disable/uninstall software, hardware is there to stay

Bad

I don't want a kill switch on my device. It's just a backdoor that will inevitably be exploited by either some US government agency (hello NSA) or some hacker.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Well I'm never getting a device with new Qualcomm parts ever. NSA. Help me Intel Mobile Division your my only hope.

ASUS ZenFone 2 here i come!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I am a little confused about this. Didn't some of the people here actually advocate for a hardware kill-switch a while back? Even if was only for the sake of opposing the mobile carriers, who were very strongly pushing against it?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

ASUS ZenFone 2 here i come!

That phone is awesome nonetheless. And considering how cheap it is, it is moronic to buy anything else this year.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

That phone is awesome nonetheless. And considering how cheap it is, it is moronic to buy anything else this year.

What's the price?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

But some people buy phones based on a hell of a lot more than just the price point.

Cheap ≠ worth buying. 

But some people buy phones based on a hell of a lot more than just the price point.

Cheap ≠ worth buying. 

I have tried Zenfone 5. It's a great phone. Zenfone 2 is that only much better. I cannot think of a single reason to pay 700 dollars for an Android phone when Zenfone exists.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

What's the price?

200 dollars. No contract. Just 200.

Cheap ≠ worth buying. 

5.5" 1920x1080 ISP screen, quad core atom, 2GB of RAM and a decent camera is great for 200 dollars.

For people on a budget this will most likely be the obvious choice.

5.5" 1920x1080 ISP screen, quad core atom, 2GB of RAM and a decent camera is great for 200 dollars.

For people on a budget this will most likely be the obvious choice.

Some markets will get 4 GB of RAM.

Some markets will get 4 GB of RAM.

Yeah but I think that model will be more expensive. Hopefully not much though.

Really wish they went with front speaking speakers though. But still a great phone for 200$... 

HA NOPE.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)