New alienware laptop lineup- The big boys can now use the GPU dock

Syntaxvgm

Thanks to @CreepersCrawlers pointing this out via status update. 
Seems alienware has announced a new laptop lineup. Finally, the 17 and 18  can use the dock. The 13 had a dual core 2GHz i7 as the top CPU option. 

15 and 17, seems they dropped the 18

http://www.alienware.com/landings/laptops.aspx
More info to come in a few, still writing soothing quality explaining the lineup. 

I'm not sure of you would call these the 17 R2 and 15 R2 like the "X" lineup, but here are the new 15 and 17.  They are available with the 9xxm series MXM gpus (which we all know the power of), and the AMD M295X.
The M295X is around a 7970 in performance, and will likely need reflowed at some point like most AMD mobile GPUs. 

Alienware 17
Es8oBmX.png
Alienware 15
ImqgM2Z.png
Sadly, this means no alienware 18. 
So for dual MXM GPU options, you are probably stuck with Clevo based options. 
The 15 is available with a 4k panel

15.6 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS-Panel TrueLife 350-nits Display with Touch Technology

The 17 DOES NOT have a 4k option, sadly yet again leaving us without a single 17 inch or higher high res panel on the small end. Stupid....not their fault. Probably no panel available. 

The thing that stopped my from buying the 13 is this

Alienware has a GPU dock that only works for their 13 inch laptop.
Before it only came with a dual core 4 thread i5-4210U.
Customers complained that there was no better option. This also prevented me from buying it (I love the GPU dock, and I'm a laptop expert, you don't have to tell me it's overpriced. I know, but in addition to this dock alienware is the only one to have HDMI input)

So dell listened to its customers, and the Alienware 13 now comes with a new i7-4510U option. Slightly higher clocked at a whopping 2GHz, this beast comes with 2 cores and 4 threads....
wait...
2 cores and 4 threads

"We listened to your complaints about a 1.7GHz dual core CPU and added a 2GHZ Dual core cpu option. Because it's that much better. It has a 7 instead of a 5 after all"

MFW alienware. 
YcnHRkc.jpg

Back to waiting I guess, unless another laptop manufacturer has a dock or some form of thunderbolt or something with 8x PCIe lanes AND HDMI input.
But currently Alienware, as has been for years with the exception of one clevo laptop, is the only band to have HDMI input.

Now that problem has been solved.

A couple of things attract me to the alienware option over the MSI option despite alienware being so overpriced-
The msi option requires you to set it on the dock
The 4x connection is OK IMHO, though I wish it was 8x or 16x so I could mod it to do SLI

Also, alienware is the ONLY brand of laptops to have HDMI input. The exception, of course is the smallest int the line always for some dumb reason. Despite being the first with he dock, the 13 has no hdmi input.

EDIT 
THESE STUPID MOFOS DROPPED HDMI INPUT I THINK! I'M CONTACTING SUPPORT TO FIGURE THIS OUT.

An update, I contacted support, and HDMI input is still available, but only on the 17. It is not listed on the website, and I called that to their attention.

JXNHL3V.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So, again. It is a fat, and underpowered Sony VAIO Z. (With the dock thing) 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

dual core i7? Is that an ultrabook cpu?

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

So, again. It is a fat, and underpowered Sony VAIO Z. (With the dock thing) 

Actually it has its advantages. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Ugh, their website is horrible. I tried configuring one but couldn't get past their ugly site. 

wtf_is_this_shit2_RE_73_Million_Sharks_K

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

The 15 inch baseline model is actually pretty decent for the price. The GTX 965M can handle most games 1080p at high/ultra settings and consumes less power cus Maxwell. The only downside is the Hard Drive...

Life.exe is missing

Actually it has its advantages. 

The dock? Or being underpowered? 

The dock? Or being underpowered? 

You can display it on the laptop's screen and actually use the laptop, and the cord. 

muh specs 

All parts black

You can display it on the laptop's screen and actually use the laptop, and the cord. 

I would not mind owning one though. It just seems that they could get a lot more CPU in there considering its thickness. 

An update, I contacted support, and HDMI input is still available, but only on the 17. It is not listed on the website, and I called that to their attention. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Awww, if it had HDMI input in the 15x it'd been really nice for me. Aside of the slow hard drive and not strong cpu, with a 965m and a 1080 ips display, it's not that bad. I find the 13 inch model really horrible now.

Awww, if it had HDMI input in the 15x it'd been really nice for me. Aside of the slow hard drive and not strong cpu, with a 965m and a 1080 ips display, it's not that bad. I find the 13 inch model really horrible now.

well I think the lack of HDMI input is due to the 4k panel option. Has be be something with that. 

I'm considering making an article explaining laptop video input on LTT and a joint letter or petition at some point and send it out to a bench of laptop manufacturers.

muh specs 

All parts black

well I think the lack of HDMI input is due to the 4k panel option. Has be be something with that. 

I'm considering making an article explaining laptop video input on LTT and a joint letter or petition at some point and send it out to a bench of laptop manufacturers.

It's a really interesting idea, would love other brands to at least offer an option for that.

FFS why not make a thin laptop with just a chip from either AMD or Intel (no internal dGPU) and give it the ability to connect via 16x PCIe 3.0 to a GPU dock?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

FFS why not make a thin laptop with just a chip from either AMD or Intel (no internal dGPU) and give it the ability to connect via 16x PCIe 3.0 to a GPU dock?

Thunderbolt 2 works pretty damn good for eGPU docks. Macbooks for that for now I guess. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Thunderbolt 2 works pretty damn good for eGPU docks. Macbooks for that for now I guess. 

Yeah, but it's just too bad other makers don't follow this model. Hopefully by the time Skylake rolls through iGPU will be strong enough to start incentivizing such a move. And Thunderbolt 3 with double the bandwidth again should make the performance better, though PCIe x16 would be the better option.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hey guys, I've read the entire conversation, is it true that they no longer release Alienware 18?!  :o 
I've been waiting for Alienware 18 & hope it'll have Duo GTX 980M + Dock options! Can someone please double confirm the scenario here... 

Hey guys, I've read the entire conversation, is it true that they no longer release Alienware 18?!  :o 

I've been waiting for Alienware 18 & hope it'll have Duo GTX 980M + Dock options! Can someone please double confirm the scenario here... 

it seems the new series consists of the 13, 15, and 17 yea. 

I guess your dual 980m option is clevo based models now. 

Obviously the unfortunate thing is they have no eGPU dock. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Still overpriced and shitty.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You're basically paying for future upgradability & mobility form factor, I shoot for weddings & I need both Mobility & graphical power & still game in ultra settings. Due to it's bulky size, it allows better airflow than really thin laptops which overheats quite often. What's more an Amplifier to boost to desktop performance, that's true a channel to best of both worlds! 

If you're just gonna play high end games & only work at home, go get a desktop. In Asia, weddings are done very differently as we shoot in the morning and will have our slideshows ready by dinner so we do need performance and raw power to deliver our work.

it seems the new series consists of the 13, 15, and 17 yea. 

I guess your dual 980m option is clevo based models now. 

Obviously the unfortunate thing is they have no eGPU dock. 

Hopefully someone from AW would break the news for the all new modifications available for AW18  B)

Please in UK is the same price as in USA

13" $999 = £949

15" $1199 = £1199

17" $1399 = £1399

Its such a BS for us in UK I hate it!!!!

Please in UK is the same price as in USA

13" $999 = £949

15" $1199 = £1199

17" $1399 = £1399

Its such a BS for us in UK I hate it!!!!

you should look at Asia prices

even more crazy

at least if not twice the price for each system

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.