New alienware laptop lineup- The big boys can now use the GPU dock

Syntaxvgm

I like DIY so ill stick to MSI

DIY on your own MSI lappy? Pretty sick gut & talent you have there mate! =D

That's the most dumbass fucking comparison I've ever seen. I'm sorry, I cannot let that slide without getting angry. 

That's a desktop CPU in that clevo. 

The alienware has a low end 2.5GHz option in it. Not unclocked if I remember right- hell I don't even think the unlocked ones are available, at least yet, in the new alienware series. 

Meanwhile that clevo is at 3.6GHz.

Ahh, but it will also kick off more heat, and it will consume more power. The Sager also has a smaller battery than the Alienware. Also the CPU makes jack-all difference in gaming.

And for 50$ more you can opt for the 4790k unclocked CPU in that clevo. And believe me there's room to OC like crazy in a laptop if you know what you are doing. 

More heat and less battery, sounds great. I'll just overclock my laptop CPU to 5ghz as my fans kick up to 100% and my battery dies 10 minutes after launching a game.

My 2011 sandy alienware can go from 2.5 GHz to 4.3 GHz easily with safe temps and minimal vcore increase. That's of course because it's unlocked.

I'm curious as to how the battery holds up like that.

Of course it costs more. 

It's 1861$ for a clevo with a 980m  

Actually, I know there's an option that's like 100$ cheaper than that.

Yea. Hell there's a 17 inch that can be shipped with a  980m for 1745$

Yes but I bet none of those options have IPS panels, which brings the price of these two machine up by a few hundred dollars. Seriously, these are the only two laptops with high end GPU's and an IPS screen, and don't point to some MSI ultrabook because we both know it will suck in the cooling and battery department.

Add like 150$ for an SSD option. 

I'm not saying the alienware is unreasonable, hell I even defend them in some cases, but you sir piss me off. How about doing some research but spreading ignorance? 

What about me being ignorant? I did my research, and I compared to prices of these two machines. At almost every configuration these two machines are priced about the same.

Hell you can get a clevo with an IPS screen and a 970m with an ssd and hdd like that for 1400$.

Don't act like clevo is overpriced.

That thing has a ton of ugly brushed aluminum. Which is a huge no-no in my opinion, I would rather pay more to avoid that stuff. I would like to point out that I never said Clevo is overpriced, I just wanted to point out that the stigma of Alienware being overpriced isn't always true. Granted their desktops are still overpriced like crazy, even compared to Origin, Puget, Digitalstorm and a few others.

Now, I'm not saying you are gonna get wonderful support with the clevo. Because you won't. 

$200 for a three-year warranty on the Alienware and that covers pretty much everything. the standard warranty on the Alienware sucks though.

That fact you call it a sager shows that you didn't even bother shopping more than one clevo reseller as well.

Ohh I know they are Clevo systems, I just didn't feel like sifting through xotic pc to find better prices.

Some are hunders of dollars more than other sellers for the same laptops. Like eurocom. 

They are C-L-E-V-O laptops.

Yeah, I notice a lot of high-end boutique laptops systems are just reskinned Clevo machines.

Oh, and news flash- Alienware started as a Clevo rebrand. 

Interesting.

Ahh, but it will also kick off more heat, and it will consume more power. The Sager also has a smaller battery than the Alienware. Also the CPU makes jack-all difference in gaming.

More heat and less battery, sounds great. I'll just overclock my laptop CPU to 5ghz as my fans kick up to 100% and my battery dies 10 minutes after launching a game.

That's not the fucking point. The point is you picked a porsche of 15 inch laptops from clevo. With a desktop CPU. That's deceptive. My alienware draws close to 300 watts from the wall. Power efficiency doesn't matter on extremely high end laptops. Most of them throttle on battery anyway, especially dual gpu ones.

I'm curious as to how the battery holds up like that.

It doesn't. Just like dual GPU laptops, it's there for functionality not gaming. My m18x clocks to 700Mhz or so ont he cpu and like 200MHz for the GPUs when on battery. Can barely browse PCMR with all those 60 fps gifys unless I restart the system with the GPUs disabled.

Yes but I bet none of those options have IPS panels, which brings the price of these two machine up by a few hundred dollars. Seriously, these are the only two laptops with high end GPU's and an IPS screen, and don't point to some MSI ultrabook because we both know it will suck in the cooling and battery department.

Almost all clevo's have a IPS option, as well as different quality levels of TN. Oh, and they have high res panel options , including 4k, and I think 120Hz ones somewhere.

For a long time, the low end clevos were the cheapest laptops you could get with 1080p panels.

What about me being ignorant? I did my research, and I compared to prices of these two machines. At almost every configuration these two machines are priced about the same.

That thing has a ton of ugly brushed aluminum. Which is a huge no-no in my opinion, I would rather pay more to avoid that stuff. I would like to point out that I never said Clevo is overpriced, I just wanted to point out that the stigma of Alienware being overpriced isn't always true. Granted their desktops are still overpriced like crazy, even compared to Origin, Puget, Digitalstorm and a few others.

They are not even near the same laptop! On one end you have this alienware normal gaming laptop, and on the other you have this absolute beast of a fraken-machine with a desktop CPU that isn't meant to go ina 17 inch shell let alone a 15 inch one, that is truly only for a niche of enthusiasts. A while ago I considered buying a socket 2011 clevo with a 12 core xeon.

You picked one of the asinine products for budget consumers unless they want to do something like emulation or a bunch of VMs on a mobile system for some reason.

Half the point of clevos is you have any option you want pretty much, and you can customize the perfect system for you.

Beside the systems being generally cheaper, budget buyers can choose to nix features they don't want in order to get what you want for less.

If you would have actually looked through the models available on most websites, like xotic or lpc-digital, or even the ones that are overpriced, you'd see that pretty quickly.

$200 for a three-year warranty on the Alienware and that covers pretty much everything. the standard warranty on the Alienware sucks though.

Ohh I know they are Clevo systems, I just didn't feel like sifting through xotic pc to find better prices.

Yeah, I notice a lot of high-end boutique laptops systems are just reskinned Clevo machines.

Interesting.

Well no comparison can be made with the warranties really. The problem with going with a clevo option is the support is pretty much non-existent. I mean, sure alienware support can be bad, but if it's better than what you get with clevo. Ooh, buy a warranty from Xoitc. Yah, I trust them. /s

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Xoticpc is a respectable and trustworthy company. But they really can't compare to dell. I've seen both sides of it. I've owned Alienwares in the past and had friends with various Clevos. Anytime anything broke on my Alienware it was fixed and running within a day because dell would send a technician right to my house with the required parts. With my friends Sager he was without a laptop for two weeks multiple times because he had to send the laptop in.