USB 3.1 and Type C shown off by MSI at CES!

Norman_the_Owl

Why didn't they make two sizes like every single connector before this one?

nooo

I wish all cables were basically the same, like why do we need 15 types of USB, 15 types of display cables, etc

Why not have EVERYTHING USB Type C (or thunderbolt or something) and have like 20 of them on the board, like you could use it for displays, or peripherals or phones or anything else

Would be awesome

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why didn't they make two sizes like every single connector before this one?

What is the argument against smaller connectors? 

I'ts less big and bulky, that makes it ideal for smaller case designs.

It means that the connectors are more discrete which means: More room for case design.

What is the argument against smaller connectors? 

I'ts less big and bulky, that makes it ideal for smaller case designs.

It means that the connectors are more discrete which means: More room for case design.

Bending and breaking, imagine usb drive with microusb connection.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If I remember correctly, didn't they say months ago that 3.1 will have a locking mechanism?  So this is probably still not a finished product, that is, unless the lock was only going to be on the larger forms, which isn't really where it is needed IMO.

Also, if you playback slowly from 30 seconds through 32 seconds, you can clearly see that he didn't actually plug it in all the way, so that it was easier to pull back out since the motherboard on its own doesn't weigh enough to keep him from pulling the whole motherboard with the cable.  Then when you playback slowly from 35 seconds to 37 seconds you can see him struggling a bit to unplug the cable, and the whole motherboard and stand is sliding around, indicating that it really isn't that easy to pull out.  

A lot of people on these forums have been quick to hate on new products lately, and I'd say that everyone should just wait until we can actually try the new connector.  Or at the very least, wait till Linus or Slick do a review on it with more information.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

Unless you're trying to slam it in, why would this be fragile? Be careful with it like you do with any other electronic things and it should be fine.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be leaning over at the back of my computer trying to reef a connector out, only to punch a hole in my wall because I put too much effort in because it's too damn "tough" because they're trying to pander to elitists like yourselves.

And Me1z, calm down. If you're worried about a kid breaking this connector, you should be worried about him breaking all other connectors as well and maybe you should teach that kid to be more careful around computers. Also, if your mouse is coming unplugged every time you move it, there's something wrong with your setup, not the connector.

"He should not have been able to remove the cable with one hand."

Yes he absolutely should! My computer is backed right up about 10cm away from my wall and to pull USB devices out of the back, I have to lean over my desk. Do you think I want to use both hands in this scenario? No, don't be stupid.

Dunno if you've thought about this, but if a connector is easy to pull out, doesn't it make sense that if there was any rough handling involved, the connector would slip out before it broke off?

Bad forum hysteria is bad

By "one hand" I was referring to the fact he didn't use his other hand to brace the motherboard when he removed it. He didn't pull the cable out of a full computer with one hand like you assumed, which would have been acceptable. He pulled the cable out of a motherboard that was propped up on a flimsy stand. Motherboards are not heavy and if he had been pulling on any other other type of cable it would have dragged the board with it. The weight of just a motherboard does not provide enough friction to counteract pulling on a usb cable. Now, I'm not worried about myself or my own kids, I'm more concerned about the type of people I went to school with, you know the ones who actions are beyond my control. The ones who would slam on keyboards, put things in the CD drives, repeatedly rip out their neighbor's KB+M as a joke, and deliberately break any other feature of the computers they could find. The only reason that after 10 years the usb ports even worked there was because they were designed to be durable, and its near impossible to physically* break one of those ports. I'm thinking about the poor saps who depend on being able to use those ports for usb drives so they can complete their projects and I'm thinking about the IT department being unable to do anything about outbreak of broken usb ports despite the constant complaints from students and teachers. All it takes is one asshat to ruin a good thing for thousands of people, so why make his job easier? These kids will never have a respect for technology especially when its something they don't personally own, so I feel like these ports should be built with their actual use in mind.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

You have to use two hands to take a USB out? Are you that weak?

I remove my flash drive from my computer with one hand. Same with literally every other USB device I have. Mind you, this is USB2 and 3. Same with microusb.

Did NONE of you even watch the damn video? I remove my USB devices from my FULL COMPUTER with one hand as well. The weight of a FULL COMPUTER provides enough friction to counteract the force of pulling on a usb connector. He DID NOT remove it from a full computer, he removed it from a motherboard propped up on a flimsy stand. Motherboards alone are not heavy enough to counteract the friction of a normal USB 2/3.0 port. If you don't believe me, go take any motherboard put it on a smooth counter and try to remove a USB device with one hand. You will end up dragging the board with you unless you place a hand on the board to brace it, which the person in the video did not.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

usb type a, b , and c are all 3.1 complaint, with out any physical change. USB 3.1 does NOT need more pins, they uses the same pins just a new controller to gain speeds. USB type c is just a new connector for USB 3/3.1 standard. desktops will not replace all USB ports to type c, they will use type A and C for USB 3.1. the only thing that type A might not have is the 100W rating.

If I buy a raid HDD box I don't want a type C connector I want a Type B or A.

Type A will always be more durable then type C so type c can never replace it.

Edit: just check some documentation. USB type is the only connector that supports USB power delivery 2.0 (100W) and Display-port functionality.

USB 3.1 "The specification extends the existing SuperSpeed mechanical, electrical, protocol..." USB.org

Well i can tell you the plan is to indeed make everything type c regardless of what you want which is why your seeing it on a motherboard.

By "one hand" I was referring to the fact he didn't use his other hand to brace the motherboard when he removed it. He didn't pull the cable out of a full computer with one hand like you assumed, which would have been acceptable. He pulled the cable out of a motherboard that was propped up on a flimsy stand. Motherboards are not heavy and if he had been pulling on any other other type of cable it would have dragged the board with it. The weight of just a motherboard does not provide enough friction to counteract pulling on a usb cable. Now, I'm not worried about myself or my own kids, I'm more concerned about the type of people I went to school with, you know the ones who actions are beyond my control. The ones who would slam on keyboards, put things in the CD drives, repeatedly rip out their neighbor's KB+M as a joke, and deliberately break any other feature of the computers they could find. The only reason that after 10 years the usb ports even worked there was because they were designed to be durable, and its near impossible to physically* break one of those ports. I'm thinking about the poor saps who depend on being able to use those ports for usb drives so they can complete their projects and I'm thinking about the IT department being unable to do anything about outbreak of broken usb ports despite the constant complaints from students and teachers. All it takes is one asshat to ruin a good thing for thousands of people, so why make his job easier? These kids will never have a respect for technology especially when its something they don't personally own, so I feel like these ports should be built with their actual use in mind.

I get your point, but I still think they'll be durable enough. Slipping out easily may, again, be better. Mind you, they aren't stupid and aren't going to design something shitty and fragile, so we'll see how it turns out :)

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Bending and breaking, imagine usb drive with microusb connection.

Even less of a problem than on phones as there is less chance of stress.

Even less of a problem than on phones as there is less chance of stress.

plugging it in is stress.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If I remember correctly, didn't they say months ago that 3.1 will have a locking mechanism? So this is probably still not a finished product, that is, unless the lock was only going to be on the larger forms, which isn't really where it is needed IMO.

Also, if you playback slowly from 30 seconds through 32 seconds, you can clearly see that he didn't actually plug it in all the way, so that it was easier to pull back out since the motherboard on its own doesn't weigh enough to keep him from pulling the whole motherboard with the cable. Then when you playback slowly from 35 seconds to 37 seconds you can see him struggling a bit to unplug the cable, and the whole motherboard and stand is sliding around, indicating that it really isn't that easy to pull out.

A lot of people on these forums have been quick to hate on new products lately, and I'd say that everyone should just wait until we can actually try the new connector. Or at the very least, wait till Linus or Slick do a review on it with more information.

No no locking mechanism or other connection type has been mentioned for 3.1 except type c.

I get your point, but I still think they'll be durable enough. Slipping out easily may, again, be better. Mind you, they aren't stupid and aren't going to design something shitty and fragile, so we'll see how it turns out :)

Very correct. We have also gone over possible reason for it to have been removed that way. he also only kinda had one hand too as thee was a mic in the other.

plugging it in is stress.

Thats is not the kind of stress that really does anything or damages any ports otherwise every usb port ever would be broken by now.

Thats is not the kind of stress that really does anything or damages any ports otherwise every usb port ever would be broken by now.

normal usb port is veeeery robust cuz it's so square, micro usb not so much, and that thing is rounded all over.

Spoiler

. He should not have been able to remove the cable with one hand. 

I can remove standard USB cables with one hand ? I will admit it did release a bit too easily but he should be able to remove it with one hand.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Umm what? They plan to have everything transition to type c. And it is for the better, now the EU just needs to convince apple.

Be that as it may, because this is the 18-year-old Universal Serial Bus, I expect nothing less than seamless adaption from Type C 3.1 to type A 1.1. otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of being Universal.

USB 3.1 is NOT ONLY the type-c, all old USB 3 ports are USB 3.1 ports. they type-c is a new USB 3/3.1 connector.

There are two sizes, but if you can demo both the new form factor and new performance at once, why not?

the ports did not get any hardware change only the controller chips are newer. my point is that USB 3.1 is not only type-c any old USB 3 port is USB 3.1 complaint, it only depends on if the USB controller chip supports it.

usb type a, b , and c are all 3.1 complaint, with out any physical change. USB 3.1 does NOT need more pins, they uses the same pins just a new controller to gain speeds. USB type c is just a new connector for USB 3/3.1 standard. desktops will not replace all USB ports to type c, they will use type A and C for USB 3.1. the only thing that type A might not have is the 100W rating.

According to USB Implementers Forum all 3.1 ports will be Type C.

It is pin compatible to USB 3.0/2.0 for backwards compatibility reasons however.

So not only is the connector reversible, but also it doesn't matter which end of the cable you plug into the host and which into the device you want to connect.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

normal usb port is veeeery robust cuz it's so square, micro usb not so much, and that thing is rounded all over.

Curved shapes are quite strong actually as long as their designed properly. MiniDP/thunderbolt is rounded and its quite secure, far more than hdmi.

Be that as it may, because this is the 18-year-old Universal Serial Bus, I expect nothing less than seamless adaption from Type C 3.1 to type A 1.1. otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of being Universal.

As I said before:

You don't need to throw out type A you could on need a passive adapter to chance pinout. Since nearly all cables are A to B something you only really need a C to A pigtail.

Also it not like suddenly over night every port is going to be usb 3.1 type c but everything new needs to be otherwise no one will use it.

According to USB Implementers Forum all 3.1 ports will be Type C.

It is pin compatible to USB 3.0/2.0 for backwards compatibility reasons however.

So not only is the connector reversible, but also it doesn't matter which end of the cable you plug into the host and which into the device you want to connect.

Correct.

Its actually for everything.

Because it's not needed. It's the same connector on each end. Also think about ultrabooks.

Thinner and portable devices. Ultrabooks, tablets, phones, etc.

If it works in something like that it'll be fine stationary on a desktop.

Wrong. You'll need a new controller for 3.1 and currently the could connection certified to support it is type c. You can do many other things with 3.1 and type c as well like displayport.

Don't knock it till you try it. That is a pre production sample on a display floor with likely a pre production cable as well. Also maybe he didn't plu it in all the way so he could easily pull it out and flip it around. On a side note if ur using a mouse tether the cable it a better experience on both ends.

I doubt their all that serious. It'll probably get two ports when launch just like first gen 3.0.

Umm what? They plan to have everything transition to type c. And it is for the better, now the EU just needs to convince apple.

You don't need to throw out type A you could on need a passive adapter to chance pinout. Since nearly all cables are A to B something you only really need a C to A pigtail.

No no locking mechanism or other connection type has been mentioned for 3.1 except type c.

Very correct. We have also gone over possible reason for it to have been removed that way. he also only kinda had one hand too as thee was a mic in the other.

Curved shapes are quite strong actually as long as their designed properly. MiniDP/thunderbolt is rounded and its quite secure, far more than hdmi.

As I said before:

Also it not like suddenly over night every port is going to be usb 3.1 type c but everything new needs to be otherwise no one will use it.

Correct.

Dude seriously, use multiqoute, all these 14 posts could have easily been in 3 posts. You're spamming the topic here.

OT: Looks nice, I want this. Doesn't matter which way around you plug the cable, it just works.

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

Well .... after reading the USB 3.1 specifications I have to admit, that I (and @TheProfosist) am wrong and @Suicidal Korean is right after all.

edit: let's just hope that all micro and mini type connectors get replaced by one unified standard (aka. type c) sooner than later.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Well .... after reading the USB 3.1 specifications I have to admit, that I (and @TheProfosist) am wrong and @Suicidal Korean is right after all.

edit: let's just hope that all micro and mini type connectors get replaced by one unified standard (aka. type c) sooner than later.

Thing is if they have any intention of it being supported connection on both ends that is how they have to treat it otherwise it won't be used. Why would people change after all this time if they didn't have to?

Dude seriously, use multiqoute, all these 14 posts could have easily been in 3 posts. You're spamming the topic here.

OT: Looks nice, I want this. Doesn't matter which way around you plug the cable, it just works.

Not intentionally. Either way if I have to repeat my self it's because people arnt reading the previous posts.