What first car should I get?

terrytek

Don't get something fancy if you're paying for it, you won't be able to insure it. Get something reliable, but basic. I have a 1990 accord, and pit a bunch of work into it myself. It lets your learn, and helps you become a better driver.

IMHO, somethin older with PLPD is your best bet, then upgrade down the road.

Something like a 350z or another sports car is going to break the bank, not to mention ful .coverage.

EDIT: Learn to drive stick. It makes you a better driver, its way more fun, lowers your insurance, and the ladies love it.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Freeway driving then 350Z, a V6 is a lot smoother then any i4 on the freeway. 

But all of these cars aside from the Hondas (and maybe MS Protege) won't be easy on your wallet when it comes to fuel economy. 

Yeah, fuel economy is also another must. The protege I know gets some pretty good gas mileage, at least 30mpg freeway, and 22 city. The honda/acura i really don't know.

So, this is one of the insurance quotes I put in.

7c45730057.png

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

VW Beetle. Drive the car that Hitler wanted. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Call your ins co and see what they say about all those cars, assuming they will insure you in the first place (unless you are on your parents ins). the Evo is literally in it's own league when it comes to insurance rates. We put my girl in an Evo X last year and her rates are insane. Mind you she had 1 ticket that was a couple years old. When that came off the rates didn't drop all that much, good thing the payment was stupid cheap on the Evo.

Edit: Lol at the full coverage rates OP just posted.

For $8k, most all of those cars would be piles of crap (Protege notwithstanding). Modded/hacked to hell and back.

Buy something that doesn't break all the time, is reasonable comfortable and is sporty enough for you. You can get into trouble in anything.

Yeah, fuel economy is also another must. The protege I know gets some pretty good gas mileage, at least 30mpg freeway, and 22 city. The honda/acura i really don't know.

7c45730057.png

Do you really MUST get a car? because a motorcycle would be a much cheaper and fun option 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

VW Beetle. Drive the car that Hitler wanted. 

People will shoot me the minute they see me in one.

Call your ins co and see what they say about those cars, assuming they will insure you in the first place (unless you are on your parents ins). the Evo is literally in it's own league when it comes to insurance rates. We put my girl in an Evo X last year and her rates are insane. Mind you she had 1 ticket that was a couple years old. When that came off the rates didn't drop all that much, good thing the payment was stupid cheap on the Evo.

For $8k, most all of those cars would be piles of crap (Protege notwithstanding). Modded/hacked to hell and back.

Buy something that doesn't break all the time, is reasonable comfortable and is sporty enough for you. You can get into trouble in anything.

I managed to find an MSP for 5K and it's pretty decent. Left in factory condition. http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/4819234789.html

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Do you really MUST get a car? because a motorcycle would be a much cheaper and fun option 

If I crash in a motorcycle, I risk getting road rash and possibly death by thrown overboard. In a car. I have a shell around me protecting me, plus airbags.

Seen too many of these riced.

7c45730057.png

The basic has really little coverage. 5k damage isn't much at all. My sister backed.my dads mini van into a Razer wire fence, and it was all cosmetic work, and cost $3,800.

A fender bender can run up a bill like crazy. What kind of coverage do those plans get you on your car? Not to mention those higher prices are a fucking joke..

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

3000gt VR4 twin turbo.

So much fun to drive. A bit older, but still loads of fun. And if you do some work to it, will blow a lot more off the road than you would expect. Next time I buy a car, I'm getting another one, really wish some jackass in a neon hadn't ran head on into me and totaled mine.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Call your ins co and see what they say about all those cars, assuming they will insure you in the first place (unless you are on your parents ins). the Evo is literally in it's own league when it comes to insurance rates. We put my girl in an Evo X last year and her rates are insane. Mind you she had 1 ticket that was a couple years old. When that came off the rates didn't drop all that much, good thing the payment was stupid cheap on the Evo.

Edit: Lol at the full coverage rates OP just posted.

i beg to differ. For 8k you could get something like honda, etc in great shape.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I know @EcoBoost has a CR-V with a B18 and it gets like 20 mpg haha

"Rawr XD"

there

The stealth isn't as good, or as good looking.

That one isn't. It's clean af

But I don't know the engine. PRobably they fucked with it.

3000gt VR4 twin turbo.

So much fun to drive. A bit older, but still loads of fun. And if you do some work to it, will blow a lot more off the road than you would expect. Next time I buy a car, I'm getting another one, really wish some jackass in a neon hadn't ran head on into me and totaled mine.

Is it FWD, RWD, or 4WD?

I know @EcoBoost has a CR-V with a B18 and it gets like 20 mpg haha

Does the CRV even come with a B18 :lol:

a motorcycle for a first idea one of the worst ideas ever.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

But I don't know the engine. PRobably they fucked with it.

Is it FWD, RWD, or 4WD?

Does the CRV even come with a B18 :lol:

The standard 3000gt is FWD, VR4 is AWD with twin turbo. Look at some youtube video's of them racing, fairly impressive for a V6. You can also get the deluxe edition that has active aerodynamics, stability control, traction control.

a motorcycle for a first idea one of the worst ideas ever.

well I started commuting on a CRF250L a little more than a year ago and I didnt crash or anything ,its all about the knowledge of knowing what you are doing. I am currently driving a 2014 Polo.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The standard 3000gt is FWD, VR4 is AWD with twin turbo. Look at some youtube video's of them racing, fairly impressive for a V6. You can also get the deluxe edition that has active aerodynamics, stability control, traction control.

honestly, i'm getting sick of V6s. They feel pretty weak compared to I4s these days and I think I4s have more potential.

People will shoot me the minute they see me in one.

I managed to find an MSP for 5K and it's pretty decent. Left in factory condition. http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/4819234789.html

Well, that thing raises a few questions after a brief glance.

1. is the lovely BOV venting to atmosphere? Cause from the looks of it, its shouldn't. (I don't know that car too well, but it's def. a Mass Air setup. Ergo: VTA no good)

2. Why is the engine bay a diff color than the car? Repaint?   Accident? Sup?

3. Why would imbalanced wheels cause a car to shake at high RPM rather than high speed? Either Poster doesn't know WTF they are talking about or made a mistake.

Do your homework when buying a used car. Always. :)

well I started commuting on a CRF250L a little more than a year ago and I didnt crash or anything ,its all about the knowledge of knowing what you are doing. I am currently driving a 2014 Polo.

was that your first time driving?

Also, having a bike as a first vehicle is much more difficult and dangerous. You don't fully understand the road, how things work, traffic, nor is your situational awareness nearly as good.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

i beg to differ. For 8k you could get something like honda, etc in great shape.

Agreed, but most likely not an integra/SI. Also, this is why I said "Most"  :)