GULEEK i8 - dirt cheap, ultra compact (smaller than a smartphone), Windows 8.1 powered PC with built-in battery ($104)

A Chinese manufacture, GULEEK, presents the i8 computer.

A super compact, similar size than most small external HDD, or most smartphones, powered with an 1.8 GHz Intel Atom Z3735F Bay Trail processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB storage, Windows 8.1, 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1x mini HDMI out (mini HDMI out to full size HDMI cable included), microSD card reader, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, headphone jack, and the unit is fanless. It also includes a 3000mAh battery inside.

GULEEK-MINI-BOX-i8.jpg

guleek-i8.jpg

It is only $104 U.S, you can order it here if you want: http://c.dx.com/collection/201412/guleeki8/en/index.html?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=Video&utm_campaign=20141223guleeki8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHIvYUUitc

From a different manufacture, you have an identical (and I mean identical), hardware, the Vensmile iPC002, with more storage: 32GB, and more battery at 7000mAHh, which the manufacture claims 3h of HD 1080p video playback

iPC002.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00REGG6QU

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/guleek-i8-dirt-cheap-windows-81-pc-built-battery-has-size-portable-hard-drive

Source 2: http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/12/26/ipc002-is-an-ultra-thin-windows-8-1-mini-pc-with-a-7000-mah-battery/

A Chinese manufacture, GULEEK, presents the i8 computer.

A super compact, similar size than a small external HDD, or most smartphones, powered with an 1.8 GHz Intel Atom Z3735F Bay Trail processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB storage, Windows 8.1, 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1x mini HDMI out (mini HDMI out to full size HDMI cable included), microSD card reader, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, headphone jack, and the unit is fanless. It also includes a 3000mAh battery inside.

Nice basically the same thing as the Zotac box thing but with a battery but I don't see the point of a battery.

Might buy one as a media player for my bedroom tv :P

That thing is bigger than my Seagate Backup Plus Portable, so you can mark that claim false.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Media center, low powered computer for web surfing, Steam box (streaming games), thin client, POS systems.

Ah yeah .. some purposed are right for this.

That's neat, but the storage is a turn-off.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

that's cool for.. basically nothing

disagree these are powerful enough for web stuff and office, this are good for a ultra cheap pc (cheaper that nucs) for people that doesn't do anything more intensive that what i mentioned, though i would apreciate a option with 4gb of ram for 20$ more

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

That's neat, but the storage is a turn-off.

It's basically a cheap windows 8.1 tablet without "tablet features" they all have 16/32gb memory but windows 8.1 with Bing is quite small and you can always add an SD-card or external storage.

It's basically a cheap windows 8.1 tablet without "tablet features" they all have 16/32gb memory but windows 8.1 with Bing is quite small and you can always add an SD-card or external storage.

Windows 8.1 with Bing should die in a hole. Or bing, for that matter. 8.1 can live without Bing, and Bing is the worst search engine ever.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

But... But... Good point I guess. Even though most SD cards won't be exactly fast.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Windows 8.1 with Bing should die in a hole. Or bing, for that matter. 8.1 can live without Bing, and Bing is the worst search engine ever.

8.1 with bing is great cauze it's free and that's why manufacturers can build these cheap tablets/computers it just windows 8.1 only with the defaul search as bing and some other easy to remove bing stuff.

Media center, low powered computer for web surfing / Skype (with a webcam), Steam box (streaming games), thin client, POS systems.

All of which work just as well as a small itx or so form factor. The point of being this small my guess would be transportable...without a screen it would be limited to places you know you'll get a monitor to use.

-------

Current Rig

-------

All of which work just as well as a small itx or so form factor. The point of being this small my guess would be transportable...without a screen it would be limited to places you know you'll get a monitor to use.

Ok very good then. Make one, and show it. You budget is 104$

Beggars can't be choosers.

It's free, and you don't complain when it is free.

Beside you are telling me that you can spend 3h removing all the junk that OEM computers puts to reduce the price (or maximize profits), that's ok. But a default search engine in IE which can be changed in a fraction of section, oh no, that is too much?

Also, if you know how to use Bing, it's not too bad. We know how to use Google, since that is what we learned since day 1.

Yes, Bing has a lot of work to do, but the system, much like Google, gets better when you have more and more users. It learns.

That is also why Microsoft is pushing Bing in Windows 8 and Windows 10 (Cortana), and they want to make it be better.

Beside competition is good. Maybe, if there is a serious contender, maybe, just maybe Google will start respecting people privacy a bit.

Ok very good then. Make one, and show it. You budget is 104$

What, you're gonna argue the price? Get a raspberry pi for most of the functions and even smaller size. Difference being that with a raspberry pi I know in advance it's a device intended for tinkerers not mainstream consumers. Now if you would have mentioned that in your intended uses for the device then you'd have at least 1 plausible use and I'd agree on it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'd totally buy this for media streaming.... after I buy a TV. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Beside you are telling me that you can spend 3h removing all the junk that OEM computers puts to reduce the price (or maximize profits), that's ok. But a default search engine in IE which can be changed in a fraction of section, oh no, that is too much?

So let's mention something worst but not only that, somebody virtually nobody here would do anyway on a community centered on building your own pcs.....Straw man much?

-------

Current Rig

-------

What, you're gonna argue the price? Get a raspberry pi for most of the functions and even smaller size. Difference being that with a raspberry pi I know in advance it's a device intended for tinkerers not mainstream consumers. Now if you would have mentioned that in your intended uses for the device then you'd have at least 1 plausible use and I'd agree on it.

Raspberry Pi, is significantly slower, doesn't run Windows, the fanciest model with upgradable RAM module is: 234.35$ U.S, and you need to get your RAM, and only 4GB of storage. With an enclosure it will be bigger as well. It does have Ethernet and 2 more USB 2.0 ports, I'll give it that, however, it doesn't have wireless.

Try again.

So let's mention something worst but not only that, somebody virtually nobody here would do anyway on a community centered on building your own pcs.....Straw man much?

I didn't know you custom build your tablet and laptops. I didn't know had the facilities to do this. Well great then.

Some people don't have the millions to have such thing.

Raspberry Pi, is significantly slower, doesn't run Windows, the fanciest model with upgradable RAM module is: 234.35$ U.S, and you need to get your RAM, and only 4GB of storage. With an enclosure it will be bigger as well. It does have Ethernet and 2 more USB 2.0 ports, I'll give it that, however, it doesn't have wireless.

Try again.

No: You try again to define how this device is awesome, here's what you said

Media center, low powered computer for web surfing / Skype (with a webcam), Steam box (streaming games), thin client, POS systems.

Raspberri PI can be a media center, it is certainly low powered, it can handle web surfing, skype? Haven't looked at how that works on Linux lately but I'm sure an alternative exists, steam box I think it's duable but perhaps not right how, thin client? Sure it can act as one. Point of Sale (I'm assuming you meant that no?) I haven't seen many extremely thin PoS systems that aren't just tablets with some sort of docking stations to print tickets.

It doesn't runs windows because it's not intended for average users who have no use for either device, hence you mentioning the higher priced models is irrelevant since the 20 bucks version works ok for everything on the above list. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I didn't know you custom build your tablet and laptops. I didn't know had the facilities to do this. Well great then.

Some people don't have the millions to have such thing.

Again this was covered with the raspberry pi and the tons of other barebone NUC style systems out there, this line of rhetoric is henceforth ignored sir.

-------

Current Rig

-------

thats a really cool product 

but I would rather buy something like the linx tablet or HP stream, which you could easily connect to a monitor but also works on the move

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Would go for a NUC better cooling and upgradability and more options or maybe one of those new console killers.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ah now I understand you.

I haven't used Raspberry Pi, but I have used a faster: Beaglebone (same idea)

I ran Linux based OS on it (Ubuntu) with xfce for a very light weight GUI (xWindows).

It's too slow for perfectly smooth SD video playback. The newer model, Beaglebone Black, should be able to handle that however. I don't know about HD playback.

Too a long time to fire up Chrome or Firefox, I can tell you that. The 256MB of RAM DDR2 didn't help. Now, the latest model: black, has 512GB DDR3 RAM.

Model B+ of the Raspberry Pi has similar specs as Beaglebone Black, with a slower CPU at 700MHz (which is what the old one I used had.. well 720MHz), the Beaglebone Black has 1GHz CPU.

Looking at videos of the Beaglebone black, it is significantly slower than the GULEEK i8 (based on other systems of similar specs), and again doesn't run Windows.

I doubt it will handle Skype with video properly, let alone HD video playback. The Intel integrated graphics helps a lot in the case of the GULEEK i8 to be able to achieve all that, with 1080p video support.