Apple Pushes the First Ever Automated Security Update to Mac Users

apple

shutterstock_209983375-680x400.jpg

Apple Inc has pushed out its first-ever automated security update to Macintosh computers to help defend against newly identified bugs that security researchers have warned could enable hackers to gain remote control of machines.

Discovered by Google researchers, the flaw could allow a remote attacker to "send a carefully crafted packet that can overflow a stack buffer and allow malicious code to be executed."

When Apple has released previous security patches, it has done so through its regular software update system, which typically requires user intervention.the critical security issue in the network time protocol (NTP) has prompted Apple to push an automatic OS X update for the first time ever.

NTP is used for synchronizing clocks on computer systems.an attacker could possibly send a carefully crafted packet that can overflow a stack buffer and allow malicious code to be executed

better late than never :P post your comments down beloeeeeew

Link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/23/us-apple-cybersecurity-idUSKBN0K108W20141223

Details separate people.

Isn't it good that they fixed it?

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

This is just the start of windows updates for apple users.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lol finally,

but i hope its not turning into windows security with updates everyday

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Wait, so they didn't have automatic updates until now?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

yes they had automatic updates, but you could turn it off just like windows

AFAIK this was a forced update that you cannot refuse

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

lol finally,

It will, maybe not daily but as the OS becomes more popular so will the need to secure it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

no they would do the security updates as a package with the OS updates

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

not true at all.

I think they mean when you go to "software update" and the user can choose to do it or not, it uses the same update as the OS updates (sometimes they come together) sometimes its just a generic security update, but the method is the same

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think they mean when you go to "software update" and the user can choose to do it or not, it uses the same update as the OS updates (sometimes they come together) sometimes its just a generic security update, but the method is the same

Yup, it was a window and had a list of items with a check box next to each item. Unchecked items do not get installed. For instance, I never installed the camera comparability updates as I don't own a camera.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Welcome to the party apple. You are a little late

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

lol finally,

Well if they implement them so as not to bother the user and are done on the background, I do not see this as a bad thing.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

lol finally,

First off, Windows Updates come on Tuesdays, unless there's a time sensitive critical hotfix being published.

Secondly, why would you not want frequent security updates? One of the largest reasons that Mac's don't get infections is the smaller user base. The mac user base has been slowly growing, so expect more viruses and malware.

As long as the forced updates do not require reboots, then I see literally no problem here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Discovered by Google researchers

:rolleyes:

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

:rolleyes:

you know tons of people at google use apple ? :P or (custom versions of ubuntu)

90% of apple users during this: "what's a security update?"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There's nothing like that feeling knowing you've got 1 minute to close everything before your computer restarts and there's nothing you can do about it.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

There's nothing like that feeling knowing you've got 1 minute to close everything before your computer restarts and there's nothing you can do about it.

Either my Mac didn't even notice that there's this update or it doesn't require a reboot.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Either my Mac didn't even notice that there's this update or it doesn't require a reboot.

I was referring to windows. Sorry. :)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Yes I quite dislike that change in Windows 8/8.1, but at least you can disable it (Albeit through the registry, which is never ideal).

Windows 10 does this as well, but the registry hack so far (for me at least), hasn't disabled it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

you know tons of people at google use apple ? :P or (custom versions of ubuntu)

I don't know for sure, but I don't expect usage of apple product to be impossible.

I just find it amusing that Google researchers found a security exploit instead of Apple researchers themselves.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I don't know for sure, but I don't expect usage of apple product to be impossible.

I just find it amusing that Google researchers found a security exploit instead of Apple researchers themselves.

Well I guess not all vulnerabilities are found by the manufacturer, for example what % of vulnerabilities do MS discover first hand for windows and how many they are made aware of by third parties