Samsung wants more wider curves, ultra-wide monitor inbound!

XTankSlayerX

samsung-se790c-super-wide-curved-monitor

If both ultra-widescreen and curved computer monitors are all the rage these days, then Samsung's new SE790C display is supremely fashionable. The 34-inch, 3,440 x 1,440 LCD has both a super-wide 21:9 aspect ratio and a gentle arc, combining two trends (fads?) in one. Supposedly, this all-encompassing design produces a "3D-like" effect that brings you into the action -- that's a little difficult to believe, but the screen will at least look futuristic sitting on your desk. Just don't expect it to make your photos pop. Although the SE790C covers all of the sRGB color range, it's using a middle-of-the-road VA (vertical alignment) panel rather than something particularly vivid, like IPS (in-plane switching). There's also no mention of US availability or pricing, so it's hard to know if this represents a good deal. So long as the price isn't too outlandish, though, it could be a good way to immerse yourself in games and movies

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/21/samsung-ultra-widescreen-curved-monitor/?ncid=rss_truncated

Its always nice to see competition. Samsung might be making shots at LG for registering the "G Pen"

it would be good to see this come in at a grand.

just wish there was a 21:10

oh please no, I already hate 16:10 enough...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

oh please no, I already hate 16:10 enough...

it would be good to see this come in at a grand.

just wish there was a 21:10

Flamewar status: activated

I really really really hope they bother to take some time into figuring out a way to put VESA mounting holes on the back of it.  The 34UC97 doesn't have VESA support like the 34UM95, and while I understand it had to do with the curved back, it's extremely disappointing that they didn't bother to find a way to make it work considering how expensive it is.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

I want a 3840x1600 21:9 monitor so it fits UHD 21:9 movies perfectly

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I'm not sure why we insist in giving up more and more vertical pixels... what is even the point? What can a 21:9 monitor do that a 16:9 one that contains its resolution can't?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Excuse me?

sarcasm? But seriously what's your beef with 16:10? It's amazing because you can actually watch 1080p films at native resolution. On a 1080p screen you actually lose pixels for the interface bar at the bottom.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

sarcasm? But seriously what's your beef with 16:10? It's amazing because you can actually watch 1080p films at native resolution. On a 1080p screen you actually lose pixels for the interface bar at the bottom.

I've got a 16:10 monitor currently, I personally find that having more space horizontally is better for productivity (at least for me), and as a content creator its better for me to have 16:9 so I don't have to stretch videos or play at a non-native resolution just to achieve 16:9 video.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What?  Like on Youtube?  That's an overlay, you don't lose anything.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

I'm not sure why we insist in giving up more and more vertical pixels... what is even the point? What can a 21:9 monitor do that a 16:9 one that contains its resolution can't?

They haven't? They're still 1080 or 1440p. They just have more pixels to the side. You can have more windows stacked vertically side by side, you can review more pages concurrently in word, or whatever equivalent productivity you want, you get a truly cinematic experience when watching films in their native aspect ratio. And if you can get games to work in this aspect ratio, which can be a major PITA which you'll know if you've ever tried to get 4:3 games to work seamlessly in 16:9, that would have all the immersion of surround/eyefinity without the bezels.

I hope this means that 1440p 21:9 stops being more expensive than 4K IPS. Because that's silly.

That stand reminds me of some of their other models and with the height the monitor is at perhaps it will have tilt, height and pivot adjustments? Could be quite the competitor to LG if it has better ergonomics.

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440

What?  Like on Youtube?  That's an overlay, you don't lose anything.

Google has it right, but Vimeo, Novamov, GorillaVids, Netflix, and a number of others don't.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I've got a 16:10 monitor currently, I personally find that having more space horizontally is better for productivity (at least for me), and as a content creator its better for me to have 16:9 so I don't have to stretch videos or play at a non-native resolution just to achieve 16:9 video.

What sort of content creation? For coders like me the extra vertical is great, but I can understand some artistic stuff not working well with it.

What sort of content creation? For coders like me the extra vertical is great, but I can understand some artistic stuff not working well with it.

Youtube videos and such.

Google has it right, but Vimeo, Novamov, GorillaVids, Netflix, and a number of others don't.

I don't use Vimeo, but Netflix is definitely an overlay as well.

Youtube videos and such.

Hmm...but can't you orient the toolbars and such to only take up the 180 or 160 vertical pixels (for 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 respectively), thus leaving you a perfect 1080p pane to work in?

I don't use Vimeo, but Netflix is definitely an overlay as well.

Then that's new because 2 years ago I found that a royal pain making movies fuzzy.

Then that's new because 2 years ago I found that a royal pain making movies fuzzy.

I just checked Vimeo.  Also an overlay.

In my opinion, if you are going with just one screen, sure a curved one may be a good choice, but anymore than that, I'd still preffer regular monitors with proper quality.

Overall seems like a really nice monitor.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Hmm...but can't you orient the toolbars and such to only take up the 180 or 160 vertical pixels (for 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 respectively), thus leaving you a perfect 1080p pane to work in?

Full screen stuff..

They haven't? They're still 1080 or 1440p. They just have more pixels to the side. You can have more windows stacked vertically side by side, you can review more pages concurrently in word, or whatever equivalent productivity you want, you get a truly cinematic experience when watching films in their native aspect ratio. And if you can get games to work in this aspect ratio, which can be a major PITA which you'll know if you've ever tried to get 4:3 games to work seamlessly in 16:9, that would have all the immersion of surround/eyefinity without the bezels.

I hope this means that 1440p 21:9 stops being more expensive than 4K IPS. Because that's silly.

But 1440p 21:9 has about the same horizontal pixels of 2160p 16:9. And the prices aren't that different either. As for the truly cinematic experience, check my post on scaling (in my sig) ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I just checked Vimeo.  Also an overlay.

No. 80 lines are missing from the bottom.

But 1440p 21:9 has about the same horizontal pixels of 2160p 16:9. And the prices aren't that different either. As for the truly cinematic experience, check my post on scaling (in my sig) ;)

I agree with you, I prefer 2160p. But I can see why people would go for 21:9, and I don't think it's terrible.

No. 80 lines are missing from the bottom.

Show me...