Android Based App Uses Idle Processor Power to Help Find Cure for Ebola

Folding for android

mobile-hand-hed-2013.jpg

For the first time, anyone with access to an Android-based mobile device can help scientists perform the critical research that is needed to find a cure for the ebola epedemic,The Project is courtesy of IBM & Scripps Research Institute & is being called "Outsmart Ebola Together"

The software used for screenings in the Outsmart Ebola Together project is called AutoDock and AutoDock VINA, developed by the Olson laboratory at TSRI.

The app will put their devices to work when the machines would otherwise be idle. With their collective processing power, the computers will form a virtual supercomputer to help The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) screen millions of chemical compounds to identify new drug leads for treating Ebola.

IBM's World Community Grid has successfully run other projects that search for drug candidates for both high and low-profile diseases such as AIDS, cancer, malaria, Dengue fever, and influenza. It has enabled multiple breakthroughs, such as helping the Chiba Cancer Center in Japan discover seven new drug candidates to fight childhood neuroblastoma.

Nvidia-Tegra3-Mobile-Processor.jpg

The project basis is not a new terminology for us, the basic overall procedure is the same as Folding @ Home, except this would be the first time it's been introduced on to a low power processor such as a mobile device,

when you're not using your gadget, the grid will tap its CPU to solve a small piece of the chemical puzzle. With enough volunteers, it could potentially saving the team decades of time in developing a cure

This citizen science effort is possible through a partnership with IBM's World Community Grid, which has been making similar data-driven health and sustainability initiatives possible for 10 years as a free, philanthropic service to the science community.

folding_header.jpg

As of now anyone can download a safe and free app that will put their devices to work when the machines would otherwise be idle. With their collective processing power, the computers will form a virtual supercomputer to help The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) screen millions of chemical compounds to identify new drug leads for treating Ebola. Meanwhile, the devices will remain fully available for normal use by their owners.

Volunteer computing project announced today is being run by the Ollmann Saphire laboratory at TSRI, which has mapped the structures and vulnerabilities of the proteins comprising the Ebola virus.

The Scripps Research Institute(TSRI)also invites members of the public to support Dr. Saphire’s crowdfunding campaign at www.crowdrise.com/CUREEBOLA to secure resources needed to analyze the enormous volume of data generated by Outsmart Ebola Together.

Crowdsourcing this citizen science effort will dramatically accelerate the process of identifying a cure.

if you register your tablet, smartphone or computer, the system will add you to the list of 680,000 volunteers and nearly 3 million devices.

a sensational news , Do post your thoughts & comments down below..

& to get started you need to register at this: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ give proper details later download the App (for mobile/tablet & PC) Then carry on with application install & the rest will be done by the app in th background

Original Link:

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/45594.wss

Other links:

www.crowdrise.com/CUREEBOLA

http://www.scripps.edu/

http://www.citizenibm.com/

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

News Link:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/19/ebola-scripps-ibm-world-community-grid/

Details separate people.

It has a pc client yes? Phones are potatoes compared to pcs

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Wow! I'd love to do tha... wait, iphone.  Folding @ Home for the masses is a good idea, but only if you can choose when to do it.  I wouldn't want to be on 20% battery and trying to get through an entire day with it Folding when i'm not using it.

As someone with a phone powered by the god awful Tegra 3 processor, it is either 1.5GHz all the time on all the cores or overheat and nearly combusting. 

I kid though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

WTF? 

They manage to create app smart enough to beat ebola. Why do not they create something usefull app that can be sold on google play, play store and for that money buy Titan Z. Wich alone will blow out of the water like 1000-1500 samsung NOTE IV with it's computing power when that smartphone is in idle state! 

OR use fucking supercomputer that can calculate anything.

something like this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/269070-the-world%E2%80%99s-most-powerful-computer-3120000-cores/

Fuck logic!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Goodbye, battery life.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

1- Bye bye battery life

2- Why not F@H on pc? I'm literally looking to build a dedicated machine myself. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1- Bye bye battery life

2- Why not F@H on pc? I'm literally looking to build a dedicated machine myself. 

Nice see you like contributing to charity.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Is there one pc with windows millenium on it doing the reaearch or what the actual fuck ?!

Warning, rant:

I call BS on this. If there was any intention to cure that shit the whole world would focus on it. There would be no point inmaking this app in the furst place.

Someone should make a virus that doesnt spread and inject every single high priority person in every government in big countries. The whole "finding the cure" would happen so much faster if them greedy pigs cared about some ebola....

Sorry for going on the rant on my own.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

The project basis is not a new terminology for us, the basic overall procedure is the same as Folding @ Home, except this would be the first time it's been introduced on to a low power processor such as a mobile device,

Both HTC and Samsung have apps that let you fold on your phone.

Anyway it's for a good cause so I don't see any reason to be mad at them like some other people in this thread. They are kind of working backwards though if they haven't already released a desktop program. But smartphones are better than nothing, right?

It has a pc client yes? Phones are potatoes compared to pcs

Yeah, but they are also a hell lot more... Collective power ftw :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

meh my battery is already hit and miss....but its proberbly still better than anything bob geldof can do

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Wow! I'd love to do tha... wait, iphone.  Folding @ Home for the masses is a good idea, but only if you can choose when to do it.  I wouldn't want to be on 20% battery and trying to get through an entire day with it Folding when i'm not using it.

Hopefully the implementation looks at battery life and says "at x%, stop."

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You wake up and unplug your phone from the charger, when you arrive at work you have 50% left.

Using processing power when Idle is not a good idea.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

WTF? 

They manage to create app smart enough to beat ebola. Why do not they create something usefull app that can be sold on google play, play store and for that money buy Titan Z. Wich alone will blow out of the water like 1000-1500 samsung NOTE IV with it's computing power when that smartphone is in idle state! 

OR use fucking supercomputer that can calculate anything.

something like this http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/269070-the-world%E2%80%99s-most-powerful-computer-3120000-cores/

Fuck logic!

Who would pay for that app? They were hoping the idea takes off like F@H and get exponential computing power compared to just using a single workstation.

---

This would only work if the app did its computations when the phone's charging, otherwise the battery's just going to drain.

The battery life! It's under 9000 miliseconds!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro