The World’s Most Powerful Computer - 3,120,000 Cores

Tianhe-2.jpg

tianhe-2-jack-dongarra-pdf.jpg

The Tianhe-2, which translates to “Milky Way-2” in English, is so powerful that it required a team of 1,300 scientists and engineers from China’s National University of Defense Technology to build it. Sponsored by the People’s Republic of China’s State High-Tech Development Plan, the computer was built on the premise that China could one day become independent of financial obligations for foreign technologies. The computer is so powerful, that it’s able to perform 33,860 trillion calculations per second. One hour of these calculations by the machine is the equivalent of 1,000 years of difficult sums by 1.3 billion people 

The machine is capable of performing 33.86 quadrillion floating point operations — or FLOPS — in a single second. A floating point operation is a math problem that involves fractional numbers, and when measured in quadrillions is usually referred to as a petaflop.

The U.S. upped the ante in the ongoing rivalry with China last week when the Department of Energy said it would spend $325 million to build a new pair of machines, at least one of which stands a chance at retaking the world-computing crown. It tapped IBM and the chipmaker Nvidia to help build them, and said they should be up and running by 2017.

One of them, dubbed Summit, is being designed for nearly nine times the performance of the Tianhe-2, or about 300 petaflops, which is pretty close to the combined performance — 309 petaflops — of all 500 supercomputers on today’s list.

So who builds these machines? Of the 500 supercomputers on the list, 179, or more than 35 percent, were built by Hewlett-Packard. IBM built 153, Cray built 62, SGI built 18 and Dell built nine. Nearly 86 percent of them relied on Intel chips while eight percent used chips from IBM. Another 75 systems used graphics accelerator chips from Nvidia, which are helpful in part because they’re designed specifically to handle floating-point operations.

But, the world’s most powerful supercomputer, China’s Tianhe-2, was designed by the university that houses it and is built with the help of Inspur, a Chinese computing and IT company.

Specs:

• Cores: 3,120,000
  • Linpack Performance (Rmax): 33,862.7 TFlop/s
  • Theoretical Peak (Rpeak): 54,902.4 TFlop/s
  • Power: 17,808.00 kW
  • Memory: 1,024,000 GB
  • Interconnect: TH Express-2
  • Operating System: Kylin Linux
  • Compiler: icc
  • Math Library: Intel MKL-11.0.0
  • MPI: MPICH2 with a customized GLEX Channel

With 16,000 computer nodes, each composed of two Intel Ivy Bridge Xeon processors and three Xeon Phi coprocessor chips, the Tianhe-2 is almost twice as fast as the second computer on the list: the United States’ Cray Titan. 

Source: http://recode.net/2014/11/17/the-worlds-most-powerful-computer-is-still-in-china/

Yes, we know can it run Crysis? More importantly what it probably is used for:

-Recreating the Big Bang

-Understanding earthquakes

-Folding Proteins

-Mapping the blood stream

-Testing nuclear weapons

-Forecasting hurricanes/typhoons

-Predicting climate change

-Building brains

-Financial Stuffs

oh fuck off with your cores my old i3 demands a 1v1

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Holy balls...

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

I bet the pentium anniversary can run games better.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Meanwhile, US weather forecasting is worst in the world because the government won't provide funding for this kind of shit.

@Laputacake dangit you beat me to it :P

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Meanwhile, US weather forecasting is worst in the world because the government won't provide funding for this kind of shit.

Actually Nvidia is making a new 2 new supercomputers one is 2x as fast and the other one is over 4x faster and that with only 3,400 nodes.

It was even in the news section here a while ago.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8727/nvidia-ibm-supercomputers

RTX2070OC 

What's with those uv lights anyway? 

These system dont really excite me, theyre designed specifically to do what it is doing. Sure the number of what it can do is nice but still its not like I can benefit from this in any way lol

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

that list of aplication is kinda of contradictory if its also being used for financial stuff

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Actually Nvidia is making a new 2 new supercomputers one is 2x as fast and the other one is over 4x faster and that with only 3,400 nodes.

It was even in the news section here a while ago.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8727/nvidia-ibm-supercomputers

Nvidia can make all the supercomps they want, it won't help if the NWS doesn't have one.

I would definitely not want a PC like that,,,you see that Wattage reading, couldn't pay for the power bill :(

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

All that processing power and they still can't kind find the solution to world poverty or war? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Nvidia can make all the supercomps they want, it won't help if the NWS doesn't have one.

I would say those applications help quiet a lot.

SummitWork.jpg

RTX2070OC 

I can't wait to see some future supercomputers using the upcoming Tesla K80. That could be interesting :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I would say those applications help quiet a lot.

My meaning was that the NWS does not have physical machines to run their models on.

So no one said the "Still can't run assassin's creed unity" joke? Impressed.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

My Sempron just had a heart attack..

Details separate people.

Hurricane prediction errors are a third of what they were several decades ago. That's quite an accomplishment.

The power consumption is the most interesting aspect to me. Does anyone know how it compares to less powerful supercomputers?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

But can it run Minesweeper?

But dose it have Pinball and MS Paint? Take that Supercomputer!