[survey] how much memory on average for gaming?

I'm planning on buying an SSD for my first build and installing whatever future games I might have on it, so I'd just like to survey on how much memory do you guys use for gaming? so that I can decide how much memory I'll get for my SSD (since the difference in prices per size is large)

Huh, personally I dont use an SSD for gaming. 

Why?

Because Three 4TB WD Black editions in RAID 0 makes it easy and cheap to have fast loading times. :)

I use the SSD for OS and all softwares.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I'm planning on buying an SSD for my first build and installing whatever future games I might have on it, so I'd just like to survey on how much memory do you guys use for gaming? so that I can decide how much memory I'll get for my SSD (since the difference in prices per size is large)

For gaming it really depends on how many games you have/will have.

I use a high capacity HDD for my games. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I have a 1tb evo for the rig I am on now which is mostly for gaming. I have about 35 games on it ranging from full blown AAA games to smaller indi games and its about half way full. I think I just got download happy one weekend because I only play a handful of games at a time. Frankly you get the most value for larger drives so just get the biggest you can afford. No one bitches about having to much space but they always bitch about not having enough. 

Huh, personally I dont use an SSD for gaming. 

Why?

Because Three 4TB WD Black editions in RAID 0 makes it easy and cheap to have fast loading times. :)

I use the SSD for OS and all softwares.

how much memory does you SSD have? like how much would be alright for OS and softwares?

Memory is something different from an SSD.

Memory = RAM

Storage = SSD or HDD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

For gaming it really depends on how many games you have/will have.

I use a high capacity HDD for my games

that's why I asked how much on average, how about you? do you use a lot of memory for games?

and with the different WD colors or even the seagate HDD, would choosing one over the other (regardless of size) make a noticeable difference in performance?

Memory is something different from an SSD.

Memory = RAM

Storage = SSD or HDD

I'm sorry I didn't know how to phrase it correctly... admitting noob status

how much memory does you SSD have? like how much would be alright for OS and softwares?

Well, I made a mistake and bought a 250 GB SSD, but for os and softwares, 120 is the sweet spot.

I dont know bout you but the programs I have installed - 

eoHf94h.png

that's why I asked how much on average, how about you? do you use a lot of memory for games?

and with the different WD colors or even the seagate HDD, would choosing one over the other (regardless of size) make a noticeable difference in performance?

I'v used about 1.4 TB for my Steam,Origin and Ubisoft games. (Around 155 games) 

I would recommend a 3/4TB WD Black. 

A WD green is fine for all needs, but the black is faster. 

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760#Tab3

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I have a 1tb evo for the rig I am on now which is mostly for gaming. I have about 35 games on it ranging from full blown AAA games to smaller indi games and its about half way full. I think I just got download happy one weekend because I only play a handful of games at a time. Frankly you get the most value for larger drives so just get the biggest you can afford. No one bitches about having to much space but they always bitch about not having enough. 

thanks for the input! money allocation is a big deal for me so if I could save up on the storage to spend more on other parts then I will.

Well, I made a mistake and bought a 250 GB SSD, but for os and softwares, 120 is the sweet spot.

I dont know bout you but the programs I have installed - 

eoHf94h.png

wow thanks for sharing so much! I guess I'll get a 120 since it'll save me a lot of money compared to getting a 250

I'v used about 1.4 TB for my Steam,Origin and Ubisoft games. 

I would recommend a 3/4TB WD Black. 

A WD green is fine for all needs, but the black is faster. 

wow that's a lot (from my perspective)

does the difference in speed between the green and black reflect their big difference in price?

wow that's a lot (from my perspective)

does the difference in speed between the green and black reflect their big difference in price?

Yes.

The black is more reliable and has better loading speed.

Blue - Good

Green - Better

Black - Best

I have a 480Gb Intel 730 SSD. All my games are backed up to my external hdd, so when I want to play a game, I just restore it to the ssd and it takes about 2 min to restore, and then when I'm done, I uninstall it from my ssd for space.

I have a 480Gb Intel 730 SSD. All my games are backed up to my external hdd, so when I want to play a game, I just restore it to the ssd and it takes about 2 min to restore, and then when I'm done, I uninstall it from my ssd for space.

so does having them on the SSD while you play make a noticeable difference?

I say for your rig a good sweet spot for everything is a 512 / 500gb ssd for OS and then a few -key- games that -really- require load times.  And then take maybe.. two 2tb WD black's and raid 0 them for -mass- game storage.  Black drives are reliable, fast, and two of them in raid(be it 1tb or 2tb but 2tb seems to be best bang for buck--actually 3tb is the best bang for buck on Newegg atm) you make some pretty decently snappy game load times.  Though it -may- or well, -will- EVENTUALLY fail - WD has a 5 year warranty and it should be good.  I've always wondered(going off topic-ish) with how reliable V-nand is compared to regular nand - if raiding two 1tb 850 Pro's in to raid 0 - if they'd have the equal amount of failure that other drives have in raid.  I wanna assume they may -not-, but not sure.

Yes.

Blue - Good

Green - Better

Black - Best

I thought it was something like this:

Green - low powered/energy efficient (slow)

Blue - in between the two

Black - speed

I was always under this impression :/

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

so does having them on the SSD while you play make a noticeable difference?

Yes, load times are almost non-existant. Everything feels snappier, and quick. I love it. It's the best upgrade I did to my pc

Haha, why are you guys recommending he get 4+ TB of space for his games? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Most games are what, 40gb on the high side? That's nearly 100 games.

Even 1tb is more than most people would need for games. Yes, there are people on here that for whatever reason hoard their entire collection.

@callmecars it all depends on how many games you have installed at once. Remember, you can delete the ones you don't play...they don't make you pay again to redownload them later on if you want to play them again ;)

For real though, a 256gb or 500gb SSD would be sufficient for most people. I only play a handful of games at any one given time, and I'll be putting a 256gb in my stopgap rig, and my fresh build will be getting a 500gb or possibly 1tb SSD. 500gb is the sweet spot for pricing.

Yes.

Blue - Good

Green - Better

Black - Best

Green is slower. Black isn't necessarily more reliable, it just has a longer warranty. It's also a lot louder, which may be something to take into consideration.

I thought it was something like this:
Green - low powered/energy efficient (slow)
Blue - in between the two
Black - speed

I was always under this impression :/

You're correct.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

With games getting larger and having modding support I would go with 2tb personally

• 1 month later...

I have around 200GB of steam games, and another 50 of Origin :P

If you want a game drive, get 512 if you can, if not, 256 will do for most people, I just like GTA 4 mods too much to cut down.