How fast is your boot time?

SeeingSharp

Something like a minute... too many things need to initialize (3 HDD, 2 SSD, 1external HDD, sound card, ethernet card, tv-tuner). When nothing is plugged in other than the OS SSD and the GPU, it boots within 15 seconds, Win7, no Fast boot.

Just my ethernet card alone increase my boot time by about 5 seconds, and then once booted into windows, I still don't have internet for a good 20 seconds, while it fully initialize itself... (Intel Gigabit network card, because my onboard ethernet is GARBAGE and doesn't even reach my full network speed)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Laptop boots in 8s on its medium speed boot setting (no startup logo but still bios access without restarting system once in windows)... desktop takes 15-20s on slowest setting but has to load a heap of drivers and crap, laptop is barebones.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

How on earth do you all get such quick boot times? (@GoodBytes)

My computer (in sig) takes just under 30 seconds (without fastboot or whatever it's called), from the click of the power button, to landing on my desktop (no password).

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

18 seconds including entering my password.. xD

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

It's roughly 30-40 seconds for me. Would probably be faster if I had fewer harddrives, less ram, and without a sound card.

10-12 seconds, on my windows 10 laptop with a crucial MX100 SSD

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

How on earth do you all get such quick boot times? (@GoodBytes)

My computer (in sig) takes just under 30 seconds (without fastboot or whatever it's called), from the click of the power button, to landing on my desktop (no password).

@TomvanWijnen. Fully UEFI supported system :)

Microsoft Surface Pro 2. :D

Anyone that has a computer that is fully UEFI compatible, and probably configured, will get this speed +/- 1 sec difference, with a decently fast SSD (nothing crazy fast needed)

I don't turn it off any more its to painful

@TomvanWijnen. Fully UEFI supported system :)

Microsoft Surface Pro 2. :D

Anyone that has a computer that is fully UEFI compatible, and probably configured, will get this speed +/- 1 sec difference, with a decently fast SSD (nothing crazy fast needed)

How do I know if it's fully compatible or not? And how do I make it compatible?

Edited by Guest

How do I know if it's fully compatible or not?

-> Well to start you need a motherboard that has full UEFI support. Most late Sandy Bridge motherboards should be, and of course newer motherboards.

-> You need Windows 8 or newer

-> You need a graphics cards that is UEFI compatible, or has it's firmware updated to be UEFI compatible if the card is older then a few years (most manufactures don't give you a firmware tp update, as either they used a firmware chip that isn't large enough to be UEFI compatible, or can't be updated)

-> All other hardware must be UEFI compatible. (You'll know when you'll try the next step and it fails)

-> Compatibility System Module (CSM) Disabled in the UEFI (that is the BIOS emulation feature for legacy hardware)

-> your SSD/HDD partitions table needs to be formated in GPT, and not MBR (full format and re-install Windows is needed to the conversion under UEFI based system with CSM disabled. You don't, technically have to format, but you need a boot partition in UEFI, so creating it is a pain by hand, might as well do it by the WIndows Setup, but you need to start fresh with the entire drive)

-> Fast Boot (or could be called 'Ultra Fast Boot' by some motherboard manufacture) must be enabled

-> Windows side "Fast Startup" needs to be enabled

Now have a decently fast SSD on SATA-3, with the SATA controller set to AHCI, and with Windows Fast Startup (that means from shutdown state, not restart, where Windows hibernate parts of the OS), it should boot from power click sound to desktop fully loaded (exclude time for password entering, if you have one), in 6sec +/- 1sec.

-> Well to start you need a motherboard that has full UEFI support. Most late Sandy Bridge motherboards should be, and of course newer motherboards.

-> You need Windows 8 or newer

-> You need a graphics cards that is UEFI compatible, or has it's firmware updated to be UEFI compatible if the card is older then a few years (most manufactures don't give you a firmware tp update, as either they used a firmware chip that isn't large enough to be UEFI compatible, or can't be updated)

-> All other hardware must be UEFI compatible. (You'll know when you'll try the next step and it fails)

-> Compatibility System Module (CSM) Disabled in the UEFI (that is the BIOS emulation feature for legacy hardware)

-> your SSD/HDD partitions table needs to be formated in GPT, and not MBR (full format and re-install Windows is needed to the conversion under UEFI based system with CSM disabled. You don't, technically have to format, but you need a boot partition in UEFI, so creating it is a pain by hand, might as well do it by the WIndows Setup, but you need to start fresh with the entire drive)

-> Fast Boot (or could be called 'Ultra Fast Boot' by some motherboard manufacture) must be enabled

-> Windows side "Fast Startup" needs to be enabled

Now have a decently fast SSD on SATA-3, with the SATA controller set to AHCI, and with Windows Fast Startup (that means from shutdown state, not restart, where Windows hibernate parts of the OS), it should boot from power click sound to desktop fully loaded (exclude time for password entering, if you have one), in 6sec +/- 1sec.

I have a pretty new system, so all I need to do is make my 2 drives (both are NTFS) GPT?

I have a pretty new system, so all I need to do is make my 2 drives (both are NTFS) GPT?

Your non-boot drive can remain as MBR, I believe.

Your non-boot drive can remain as MBR, I believe.

oooh ok, thank you so much :D

Y'all be slow. 12.7 sec and the OS is installed on an old SATA I drive.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

stuff

Well then nevermind lol. I don't think my GTX 680 is UEFI capable, and I use Windows 7 (not planning to change any time soon).

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

@ all please mention if you havent pc specs in profile:

Chipset -> for comparision z** and x** boards

SSD/HDD

OS

UEFI or Legacy mode

With Win8.1, intel 3570k, Asus z77-V LK, OCZ Vector 128, Uefi Mode: 8 seconds untill logon screen appears.

23s from a crucial MX100 with ultra fast boot on but initializing the bios already takes 15s 

on my chromebook its 20 seconds which is impressive (including entering password)

just timed it and its 5:01:21 on my crappy work notebook running win 7... and we are talking minutes here

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

12 Seconds on Manjaro 8.12

On my WD caviar green it takes 31 secs form button push to desktop appearing but another 10-20 secs for it to be usable.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

this is mine when I do a cold boot.

DAgvogo.png

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB