LG to Launch 8k display

jos

That would be great for all that 8K content and awesome infrastructure that makes is possible to also download this content at reasonable speed! Oh wait, that doesn't exist and most HD content for TV is still 1080p. This makes as much sense now as making high performance tires for a kids tricycle.

Come on, consoles struggle with basic 1080p, no single GPU can max out a game for smooth 4K at the highest settings. This is a tv. What on earth are they expecting users to pair with this?

well, now all we need is apple making 9k and than we can finally get to 16k...

Edited: oh god, I just realized, that's already 16x1080p right? bloody hell!

The Pirate Content Master Race will have a hay-day with this one.

troll

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

there is a huge  move from big tv manufactures to push to 8k for some reason

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Interesting to see how this industry never wants to take a break, and push forward just because they can. Makes my 1080p displays feel pixelated.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Showing off the product and launching the product aren't really the same.

Exactly.

I'm actually announcing a 64K monitor/TV that's driven by a Display port 10.1 cable.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

If 8k becomes the next 4k, 4k becomes 1080p. I like the whole "moving forward" thing.

The problem is the hardware just isn't there yet.

Cards that are 5 years old can handle 1080p. Cards today can't handle 4K properly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I still stand by the belief that 8K is a pointless resolution to target unless the display is greater than 70 inches. Smaller than that and you need to start sitting stupidly close to the screen to be able to start noticing pixels. 4K is fine for pretty much everyone. Consumers don't need higher resolutions that that.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

QUICK, SOMEBODY TWEET JERRY!!!!!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

We have not even done 4K properly! 

Totally one of those. Mine has more pixels than yours! And then they will be curved (Samsung...)

4k is innovation, this is just LG saying that they have exploited 4k so much that new panels are not enough, they need more. 4K content is nearly impossible to get right now (moves, tv shows, etc..) you could find some 4k youtube videos, but that's about it. 8k is just for whoever has so much money that you just don't know what to do with it.

Stupid but GOD DAMN....still stupid.

its too early god damn it.

Guys, Japan wants to skip 4K and go straight to 8K. Talking TV stations of course. So there's a market, soon anyway.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I have no issue with them building the device but adding it to their TV lineup next year would be stupid. There's no 8k content for any consumer to use on the damn thing.

By that same token there is hardly any 4k content on the market now. People who are buying these things dont understand or care about that.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I'd like to think that this will drop 4K prices, but I'm doubting it. This overall just seems like a waste since 4K has barely gotten a hold on any of the market. This would have been a more reasonable move in a few years when 4K is more mainstream.

LAME! Rather have LG spend their R&D on bringing down 4K OLED prices.

For more R&D more price for product... Why do you think they charge so much for 4k.. They need to compansate for r&d

It's already impossible to find 4K content; I like to see the advance in technology but definitely a waste atm

I guess Amazon started streaming some 4k content recently. :) At least it's something else!

For more R&D more price for product... Why do you think they charge so much for 4k.. They need to compansate for r&d

Not according to the laws of efficiency. Spend $5 on R&D to make a product $20 more efficient. Passing the savings to consumers.