NHK to Broadcast 2020 Tokyo Olympics in 8K

jos

NHK’s research into 8K broadcasting began in 1995. Describing it as the “ultimate 2D TV system,” Hamada said 8K was selected “on the grounds that, given human visual capabilities, any higher resolution than this would be not effective to a human viewer.” Since global sporting events have historically spurred on new broadcasting technology, the 2020 Tokyo Olympics became a logical target to reach for the pinnacle of video broadcasts.We consider 4K and 8K to be parts of the same family,” he said. “NextTV-F — the forum to promote next-generation broadcasting — commenced experimental 4K broadcasts by communications satellite in June, 2014 in Japan. Experimental 8K broadcasts by broadcasting satellite are scheduled to start in two years’ time, in 2016.”.

For the 2014 World Cup, NHK used three 8K cameras and up-conversion from two super slow-motion 4K cameras to capture content. In preparation for 2016, the broadcaster is developing compact mobile shooting and recording systems as well as editing systems. NHK plans to have the environment for test broadcasting ready in time for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games. NHK is also building up a library of 8K content. The broadcaster is stockpiling material across a multitude of genres so that viewers will have their choice of video.

“We are aiming to accumulate a stock of attractive content which takes full advantage of the extreme realism and ultra-high definition of 8K, in fields ranging from sporting and other major events to music, theater and other entertainments, art and nature,” said Hamada.

NHK currently reaches approximately 50 million homes through two terrestrial TV channels and two satellite TV channels.

Source:http://www.satellitetoday.com/regional/2014/12/01/nhk-to-broadcast-2020-tokyo-olympics-in-8k/

I thought our vision was equivalant to way higher res?

I saw some sciency bull-crap on a thread a while back, can't remember where.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

To be honest human eye can see further .. It is just their explanation.. It should be more related to PPI and the quality never depends on ability to view individual pixel.. If it was all about seeing individual pixel we never would have got picture quality prints

Hamada said 8K was selected “on the grounds that, given human visual capabilities, any higher resolution than this would be not effective to a human viewer."

Depends on the screen size and how far away you're sitting. If I were to sit 2 inches away from a 55" 8k TV I probably would be able to see the pixels. 16k+ at 55" is probably impossible to see at ~2 inches away for the normal human.

That being said, nobody is going to sit 2 inches away from their TV and I agree with the statement (as long as you're excluding ridiculously massive displays). 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Human eye does not have resolution and it's pretty shitty anyway. We only actually see a small dot in the middle of our vision and around that dot brain just compensates that's why it's all blurry and thats why you can't see someones face if you look at their ear.

Vsauce did a good video on it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Eto.. Japan plans to broadcast the World Cup using Holograms at every stadium around the world.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015