i3 4150 vs FX-6300

Pahddy

Then get a H81 board if you wish, and use the money on a better gpu. If you really don't plan to oc your chip then you can just use the stock cooler but you can always add the hyper 212 when you decide to oc the chip

Something like this? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wZDLjX

yes, exactly something like this. About the case- what do you think of the nzxt source 210 elite? 

I think it is a nice case actually. I might get the Source 210. I have a HAF 912 Advanced just now and I don't like it that much. I don't like the way the SATA cables go from the hard drives facing in to the mobo or the case side panel. Also I put a LED fan in it and I couldn't remove it so I had  to snap it out with plyers and the mounts are a bit bent now lol. I find the case to be a little loud as well

Do not go with the i3. It has max of 16 PCIE lanes, only 2 cores and supports max 1600 MHZ memory.

The FX has 40 lanes, 6 cores (Which is gaming/recording sweetspot) and support for 2400 MHZ memory.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Do not go with the i3. It has max of 16 PCIE lanes, only 2 cores and supports max 1600 MHZ memory.

The FX has 40 lanes, 6 cores (Which is gaming/recording sweetspot) and support for 2400 MHZ memory.

i3 beats out the FX8 in almost every game available.  PCI lanes doesn't really matter because 16 is still enough for SLI.  Its 2 cores and 4 threads, so performs closer to an i5 than an FX8 does.  Also, the memory supported has to do with the motherboard, not the CPU.  Granted, the motherboard he picks probably will only have a max of 1600Mhz, but RAM speed has such a minimal impact on performance that this is irrelevant.

FX has 40 lanes, but so what?  It will bottleneck mid to high end Xfire and SLI configs, and still under perform compared to an i3.

Benchmarks:

http://www.hardcorew...-4340-review/2/

http://www.hardwarep...8-games-tested/

http://www.tomshardw...cpu,3929-7.html

http://www.anandtech...w-vishera-95w/3

http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/14

"To put it nicely, the FX-8370E is a true middle-of-the-road CPU. Using it only makes sense as long as the graphics card you choose comes from a similar performance segment.

Depending on the game in question, AMD’s new processor has the potential to keep you happy around the AMD Radeon R9 270X/285 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 or 660 Ti level.

A higher- or even high-end graphics card doesn’t make sense, as pairing it with AMD's FX-8370E simply limits the card's potential."

"This is a huge result – it wasn’t until we used a Haswell core CPU that the R9 280X  was able to deliver consistent frame times and a 60 FPS frame rate in Assassin’s Creed IV. All three AMD CPUs we used – even the FX 8350 – and the Ivy Bridge Core i3 would deliver a sub 60 FPS frame rate, with frame spikes throughout the benchmark run.

In this case, the Core i3 4340 allows the R9 280X GPU to run at maximum potential, just like the Core i5 (and Core i7 would)."

"Pop over to the gaming scatter, though, and the picture changes dramatically. There, the FX-8350 is the highest-performance AMD desktop processor to date for gaming, finally toppling the venerable Phenom II X4 980. Yet the FX-8350's gaming performance almost exactly matches that of the Core i3-3225, a $134 Ivy Bridge-based processor. Meanwhile, the Core i5-3470 delivers markedly superior gaming performance for less money than the FX-8350. The FX-8350 isn't exactly bad for video games—its performance was generally acceptable in our tests. But it is relatively weak compared to the competition.

This strange divergence between the two performance pictures isn't just confined to gaming, of course. The FX-8350 is also relatively pokey in image processing applications, in SunSpider, and in the less widely multithreaded portions of our video encoding tests. Many of these scenarios rely on one or several threads, and the FX-8350 suffers compared to recent Intel chips in such cases. Still, the contrast between the FX-8350 and the Sandy/Ivy Bridge chips isn't nearly as acute as it was with the older FX processors. Piledriver's IPC gains and that 4GHz base clock have taken the edge off of our objections.

The other major consideration here is power consumption, and really, the FX-8350 isn't even the same class of product as the Ivy Bridge Core i5 processors on this front. There's a 48W gap between the TDP ratings of the Core i5 parts and the FX-8350, but in our tests, the actual difference at the wall socket between two similarly configured systems under load was over 100W. That gap is large enough to force the potential buyer to think deeply about the class of power supply, case, and CPU cooler he needs for his build. One could definitely get away with less expensive components for a Core i5 system."

"The FX-8370E stretches its legs a little in terms of minimum frame rates, particularly in SLI, however it is handily beaten by the i3-4330."

"Average frametimes did not do AMD’s processors any justice either. As we already said the game was fluid with i7 and i5’s, and somewhat playable with the i3 processor line. When we switched to FX CPUs not only did we have worse framerate but the gameplay was simply put, laggy."

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Stop reading spec sheets and benchmarks.16 pci lanes is plenty for this budget, faster memory doesn't help much, and intel CPUs have a much higher IPC so they are still better with less cores. AMD's fx line has more real reason to exist right now.

I'm not that keen on the 2nd hand component market unless I am buying from a friend. I doubt any of my friends are selling an i5 right now

As long as you buy a non-K CPU there's nothing to worry about. Nobody is going to waste their time overclocking a non-unlcocked i5, and in addition it's a 22nm Ivy CPU so it barely makes any heat (so you don't have to worry about it being overheated). There's really no risk in buying used assuming it's from a reputable seller. I've built entire systems out of used components for others and myself, and I have yet to see a part fail.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

As long as you buy a non-K CPU there's nothing to worry about. Nobody is going to waste their time overclocking a non-unlcocked i5, and in addition it's a 22nm Ivy CPU so it barely makes any heat (so you don't have to worry about it being overheated). There's really no risk in buying used assuming it's from a reputable seller. I've built entire systems out of used components for others and myself, and I have yet to see a part fail.

What about a 2nd hand i5 2400?

if you want to record use nvidia shadow play or Raptr both use the GPU to record/Stream so no impact on the CPU core i3 & i5 are better gaming chips IPC matters in games not core count 

if you want to record use nvidia shadow play or Raptr both use the GPU to record/Stream so no impact on the CPU core i3 & i5 are better gaming chips IPC matters in games not core count

What if I stream console? Would I use the CPU then?

i3 for more upgradability in the future, why buy a dead socket?

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gnome Child.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gnome Child.

nice avatar man at least you are being honest and i appreciate that!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

that is a better choice than both CPU's mentionned in the title in regards to gaming, yes.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

that is a better choice than both CPU's mentionned in the title in regards to gaming, yes.

What about streaming console gameplay with OBS?

Just go with Intel mate and save a few more bucks for a Core i5-2500K/3570K and retain your current motherboard.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Just go with Intel mate and save a few more bucks for a Core i5-2500K/3570K and retain your current motherboard.

I'll see what is on eBay after Xmas when I have the money. Hopefully there will be some good ones

any sandy bridge or ivy bridge core i5 are better at everything over an haswell i3 or FX-6300, including gaming, streaming and multi-threaded work.

I'll see what is on eBay after Xmas when I have the money. Hopefully there will be some good ones

those chips are still available new as well through amazon if you happen to have a motherboard up and running for them just make sure the boards support list by consulting the supported CPU list from your motherboard manufacturer (May require a BIOS update, easy and quick)

those chips are still available new as well through amazon if you happen to have a motherboard up and running for them just make sure the boards support list by consulting the supported CPU list from your motherboard manufacturer (May require a BIOS update, easy and quick)

OK. I think I have the latest BIOS but I will need to double check. I will have a look on Amazon as well.

Intel Core i5-2400S - Clockspeed is a little low but for £70 it isn't bad ----> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-i5-2400S-QUAD-CORE-PC-CPU-SR00S-2-5GHZ-UP-TO-3-3GHz-SOCKET-LGA1155-/121514741556?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item1c4ad7cf34

Intel Core i5-2400 ----> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-core-i5-2400-3-10-GHz-/321613855379?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item4ae1adfa93

Intel Core i5-2500K - Depends whether you want to OC and if you're willing to buy a chip that may have been OC'ed to death though remember to ask questions ---> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-3-3-GHz-Quad-Core-BX80623I52500K-Processor-/221630137094?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item339a2f8306

Intel Core i5-3330S ----> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i5-3330S-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-20-GHz-SR0RR-/261650135802?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item3ceb903afa

If you're feeling adventureous :)

Intel Core i7-2600K ----> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-3-4-GHz-Quad-Core-BX80623I72600K-Processor-/251752364334?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item3a9d9c392e

I hope that will give you a rough idea on the prices though rememeber that I only scanned the pages quickly, you might want to spend a lot more time studying them to work out the best deal for yourself, hope it helps a little.

Disclaimer - I don't know any of the eBayers above (can't remember if it is against the CoC), this is just to give the OP an idea.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

any sandy bridge or ivy bridge core i5 are better at everything over an haswell i3 or FX-6300, including gaming, streaming and multi-threaded work.

Which is newer- sandy or ivy? And I recently ordered a mobo for the haswell cpus that will be paired with an i3. Should I return it and get a used sandy/ivy i5?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Which is newer- sandy or ivy? And I recently ordered a mobo for the haswell cpus that will be paired with an i3. Should I return it and get a used sandy/ivy i5?

Ivy.

The only reason to go Ivy is if you can save a significant amount of money and step up to an i5. (If you already have a board that supports an Ivy i5, then an ivy i5 > Haswell i3).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ivy.

The only reason to go Ivy is if you can save a significant amount of money and step up to an i5. (If you already have a board that supports an Ivy i5, then an ivy i5 > Haswell i3).

Well I think I could get an ivy i5 from ebay. Tho I dont have the mobo. But is it worth it?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!