i3 4150 vs FX-6300

Pahddy

I'm in the UK and the Mobo is the "ASUS Z97-P"

not the motherboard you plan to buy, your current socket 1155 motherboard sir.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

not the motherboard you plan to buy, your current socket 1155 motherboard sir.

oh the ASUS P8Z77-V LX2

If it helps the software for recording will be Mirillis Action. The resolution with be 1600 x 900 until I get a new monitor

oh the ASUS P8Z77-V LX2

these are the CPUs supported by your motherboard (which is a nice one BTW i wouldnt change it honestly)

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/HelpDesk_CPU/

any i5 or i7 from this list are good pick...the ivy bridge i5-3XXX or i7-3XXX are just within 6.5% of the haswell i5 or i7 at same clock speed...it's really not worth replacing your motherboard for haswell.

I would order this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Generation-i5-3550-3-3GHz-Technology/dp/B007RUZJCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418234112&sr=8-1&keywords=ivy+bridge

Or this one if you want to overclock it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i5-3570K-3-40GHz-SKT1155-Cache/dp/B007RMH1R4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1418234128&sr=8-6&keywords=ivy+bridge

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

these are the CPUs supported by your motherboard (which is a nice one BTW i wouldnt change it honestly)

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/HelpDesk_CPU/

any i5 or i7 from this list are good pick...the ivy bridge i5-3XXX or i7-3XXX are just within 6.5% of the haswell i5 or i7 at same clock speed...it's really not worth replacing your motherboard for haswell.

I would order this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Generation-i5-3550-3-3GHz-Technology/dp/B007RUZJCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418234112&sr=8-1&keywords=ivy+bridge

Or this one if you want to overclock it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i5-3570K-3-40GHz-SKT1155-Cache/dp/B007RMH1R4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1418234128&sr=8-6&keywords=ivy+bridge

Alright thanks! I will try to explain to them I guess but I doubt I could get an i5 at this time

Alright thanks! I will try to explain to them I guess but I doubt I could get an i5 at this time

the i5-3550 is superior to any haswell i3 and if you factor in the price of a new motherboard and a core i3 you will end up paying more for a lesser product.

Also make sure you update your BIOS BEFORE getting rid of your pentium if you go with a 3rd gen intel i5.

the i5-3550 is superior to any haswell i3 and if you factor in the price of a new motherboard and a core i3 you will end up paying more for a lesser product.

Also make sure you update your BIOS BEFORE getting rid of your pentium if you go with a 3rd gen intel i5.

If I can't get an i5 do you think the best way to got is the FX-6300?

Get an i5 3570. 

Though if you want to OC like a champ then the Core i5-2500K is definetly worth a mention :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Find a used Ivy Bridge i5 on ebay

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

since you say you will be rendering etc. the fx is definitelly a better choice. And you can also oc it but get a third-party cpu cooler for that.

Or you could also get a used i5

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

If I can't get an i5 do you think the best way to got is the FX-6300?

no i would still go with the i3 because you have an upgrade path when you realise an i3 is not enough for your needs...the FX is not a good gaming chip and you have to get an expensive motherboard and cpu cooler to overclock it to get decent performance out of it....and you dont have an upgrade path has the 8 core FX won't help for gaming...really your best option is an ivy or sandy i5 or i7 mate.

Find a used Ivy Bridge i5 on ebay

I'm not that keen on the 2nd hand component market unless I am buying from a friend. I doubt any of my friends are selling an i5 right now

no i would still go with the i3 because you have an upgrade path when you realise an i3 is not enough for your needs...the FX is not a good gaming chip and you have to get an expensive motherboard and cpu cooler to overclock it to get decent performance out of it....and you dont have an upgrade path has the 8 core FX won't help for gaming...really your best option is an ivy or sandy i5 or i7 mate.

ok. I'll see about getting a Ivy Bridge i3 but I know that the broadwell stuff will be released next year or the year after which is when I will be upgrading so thats why I am lookinginto the z97 and Haswell build

I'm not that keen on the 2nd hand component market unless I am buying from a friend. I doubt any of my friends are selling an i5 right now

152£ free delivery man...i dare you to find an haswell core i3 and a motherboard for that price...and this is much better..

hmm yes thats true. Also, you should know when you will be upgrading your cpu. If you aren't gonna upgrade it untill skylake comes then get the fx (but keep in mind it won't be as good as the i3 in mobas but will be superior for rendering and such things)

hmm yes thats true. Also, you should know when you will be upgrading your cpu. If you aren't gonna upgrade it untill skylake comes then get the fx (but keep in mind it won't be as good as the i3 in mobas but will be superior for rendering and such things)

Before next years CoD I know that for sure! I will be hopeing to get a Xbox One (sorry to mention) but only the fact so that I can get new games earlier

Before next years CoD I know that for sure! I will be hopeing to get a Xbox One (sorry to mention) but only the fact so that I can get new games earlier

What is your budget for the upgrade?

thats COD, and that alone makes that unreliable imo

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

What is your budget for the upgrade?

Well I will have the mobo and stuff by then so I guess I wont know until the time 

If you pay attention you can get components that may be old but have never been touched. I bought my Core i5-2500K for £120 and it has never been touched (well now it has). Where the retainer holds it to the board has no marks what so ever, if you look around mate you can't go far wrong and don't be afraid to ask them a shit load of questions. If they try to avoid certain questions then walk away.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Well I will have the mobo and stuff by then so I guess I wont know until the time 

If you will be able to get an unlocked i5 then yes, go with that mobo. If not, you can get a H81. Also get another psu preferrably from corsair, coolermaster etc. Any a hyper 212 evo is enough for the cpu cooler if you don't plan to extremely oc the cpu. 

If you will be able to get an unlocked i5 then yes, go with that mobo. If not, you can get a H81. Also get another psu preferrably from corsair, coolermaster etc. Any a hyper 212 evo is enough for the cpu cooler if you don't plan to extremely oc the cpu. 

I don't plan to overclock when I get the i5. Only to 4.2Ghz if I am likely to

I don't plan to overclock when I get the i5. Only to 4.2Ghz if I am likely to

Then get a H81 board if you wish, and use the money on a better gpu. If you really don't plan to oc your chip then you can just use the stock cooler but you can always add the hyper 212 when you decide to oc the chip