New update to YouTube android application allows you to watch videos offline

iAsuno

Ok, so i just opened my YouTube app on my phone and it showed me the option to store the video on my phone for offline viewing.

Q45dHKy.jpg

As you can see there is a download button on the right side.

PpaEA8R.jpg

gsCNDCv.jpg

Anyways, the feature is what is says it is. It also saves the description of the video you saved. You can choose between 360p and 720p and shows you the file size of the video.

This is very handy if you want to watch a video but you know you won't have internet when you have time to watch it you can just download it. You can also use this to show videos to your friends without the need to use mobile data.

Most videos are not available for offline watching (well, not yet atleast). NCIX videos are available but Linus's videos are not. Techquickie videos are available and also tek syndicate.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

how can you watch it , if you are offline ? it still has to load it doesn't it , so i have to buffer a video and then go offline ? if so how many videos can it hold and how much of my phones memory is it gonna cost ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

The new update is crap, the UI elements are too damn big, i mean your name takes up 1/4 of the swipe in menu. I guess it makes sense for one handed use, but i use two hand whilst on my phone. 

EDIT: i thought you were talking about the material design update(which doesn't have download for some reason): 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6QNewcQomZd1JwUngwZURWRG8/view?usp=sharing

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

how can you watch it , if you are offline ? it still has to load it doesn't it , so i have to buffer a video and then go offline ? if so how many videos can it hold and how much of my phones memory is it gonna cost ?

Post updated :)

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

This was in a few months ago.. But it was removed.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

This was in a few months ago.. But it was removed..

Well, I'm not from India and the new months ago said it was for India.

It's about damn time...

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Awesome.

I can definitely use this feature.

I will download the update now.

Thanks for the heads up.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Not for me. [Western Canada]

Guess its gonna take a while to Roll out.

Awesome feature though, but they need to get off there butts with the 60fps thing.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

it probable just temporarily downloads the video, I'm guessing how much storage it can use is up to you.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Good. I remember there was an option to preload your subscriptions' videos as an option at some point but I never understood how that worked. And they removed it.

This is better.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Didn't get the update on my Nexus 5 I'm in UAE, it looks like it's region locked. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ugh the youtube app takes so long for me to load for some reason

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Didn't get the update on my Nexus 5 I'm in UAE, it looks like it's region locked.

VPN here i go. Id it doesnt work for you its probably not gonna work for me

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

VPN here i go. Id it doesnt work for you its probably not gonna work for me

The problem that vpns for some reason don't work on 5.0 lollipop I don't know why, you live in UAE ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The problem that vpns for some reason don't work on 5.0 lollipop I don't know why, you live in UAE ?

Kuwait.

Wait... You couldn't do that with YT app on Android already? Is that Google restricted it or what? Because on WP you can even download videos directly trough app.

Kuwait.

Yeah probably the same thing.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Will it play with the screen off yet?

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

I'm pretty sure this is a regional thing. I'm on the latest version of YouTube (with Material Design) and I have no option anywhere to watch videos offline. Just a hint of advice for you @iAsuno: Check online to see if anybody is reporting on this, then use that as your source. 

COMIC SANS

Might wanna take that pic down and hide your email mate. this is cool tho most of my music is on youtube coz cbf downloading it but if i could do it through youtube i would.

I just want the damn 1440p option to return without needing to sideload an old version

I'm pretty sure this is a regional thing. I'm on the latest version of YouTube (with Material Design) and I have no option anywhere to watch videos offline. Just a hint of advice for you @iAsuno: Check online to see if anybody is reporting on this, then use that as your source. 

same here.. i was on the 6.1.1( i think, may be 6.0.1) but it is the material design version of the app, and i dont seem to have the option. i even rolled back to the old one from the play store but it does not seem to be working for me either. probably a regional thing.

Might wanna take that pic down and hide your email mate. this is cool tho most of my music is on youtube coz cbf downloading it but if i could do it through youtube i would.

Is there anything i should be afraid of? I don't use it as my main mail but okay.