[Redux] Experiences with "techies"

StarFire

One of my friends keeps on asking me if his craptop on depressants will run Minecraft better if he upgrades to W7 from Vista.

His laptop is worth less than a premade Ubuntu LiveCD from Canonical.

How is that possible. 

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

Mods please don't merge this with the "you know you're a techie when. . ." thread again

I have been told many times by people that "macs don't crash" back when they used standard spinning disks. I had to explain that head crashing is a side effect of the design.

I had one "Techie" that said that resolution was the cound of pixels per inch. (facepalm) So apparently my 32 inch monitor has a resolution of about 61440x34560 and by 4.5 inch phone has a resolution of 5760x3600. He wasn't budging on the fact so I just said "Afterall, Resolution is Just a number" and walked away

had a guy at work tell me that if he gets a case with more fans it will run faster then my rig -_-

same guy told me my computer was a waste of money and i should have bought an Xbox One cuz *all his friends have one" -_-

also said you cant tell the difference between 900p and 4k

my other friend asked about building a computer so i showed him what he was looking for with parts and told him to research what he needed.... instead he just typed in "best graphics card" on google and bought an HD7990 ( good card, but duel gpu) and then told me he bought it for £300 and it was a mining card thats why he got it "cheap" -_- . he also bought a 900D because it looked cool, and it wes better then my 750D (cuz....higher numbers) does not plan to water cool and his hardware looks so small and odd inside, ...and he also bought a 4670k.... and wont overclock...... bought 2400 speed RAM...then "couldnt be bothered" to set up his XMP profiles, after me telling him for months it takes seconds

And he built a £2000 rig to play world of watercraft -, That's all he plays , and one of his guild members lent him the £2000 to build it, so he doesn't have a clue about his specs and how mismatched his stuff is , really annoys me

and also console peasent on my facebook told me a couple of hours ago that unity looked better on the PS4 then my screen shots at full settings....

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Kid in my class telling me he was getting a "limited edition" over $1500 Intel i7... To put things into perspective he though Geforce was GFForce. I was at a loss for words.

Got utterly dismissed once because of my choice of CPU and GPU because OBVIOUSLY INTEL AND NVIDIA MASTERRACEHURRDURR.

Meh. :\

as a mac user, i chuckled at the "once"

every forum ive ever posted on has the anti-macs. the people who dont like macs but cant explain why, or just throw out constantly wrong information. (macrumors is one of the worst about false info) ive built up calluses from facepalming so often

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

My friend in high-school school kept on bugging me by saying that Alienware was awesome and if he had $3000 he would blow it all on alienware laptop. Me, being part of the great pc community, knew he was clearly ignorant and blind. So I would always bug him by asking him if it could run word, or do you think it could handle internet explorer? One day I asked him what the specs are. He replied (no bs) "I dunno its just really good at running games and stuff"      

My grandma's pentium can also run games...so whats your point?

There have been many wars that have rocked the face of Earth, Many have heard of WWI, WWII, The Cold War, The Vietnam War and the Iraq War. But there has been a war that only a handful of humans know.....AMD vs Intel. It all started in 1985 when Intel released the first 32bit processor, the Intel 386. This war has been raging on for decades and Intel and AMD are still at each others throats. Fanboys have been ruthlessly killed, motherboards have been short circuited and most gruesome of all... CPU pins have been bent. Stop this war before it is too late. #STOPTHISWAR

as a mac user, i chuckled at the "once"

every forum ive ever posted on has the anti-macs. the people who dont like macs but cant explain why, or just throw out constantly wrong information. (macrumors is one of the worst about false info) ive built up calluses from facepalming so often

I have a quite lengthy list of reasons why I do not wish to use OS X, but I don't really care what anyone uses as long as they don't try shoving it down my throat (as Mac users here do quite often, sadly)

Rule with your heart,

And live with your conscience.

Anyone who says Apple products are fast and powerful...

Hold your goddamn balls for a minute.

Mac OSX and iOS are very closed OSes and only support certain files and only work with certain hardware. So they have to be very tightly optimized for the sake of having somewhat decent performance. If you were to put Android on an iPhone, performance would be terrible because iPhones are fucking weak, same goes with iPads and Macs. Only exception is that a Mac would need to have Linux installed on it to properly evaluate hardware performance. My older brother for example who knows nothing about technology and once claimed that Dr. Dre Beats were the "best headphones in the world" claimed my Note 3 "wasn't smooth" and "wasn't powerful" even though it would take several generations of iPhone to get to the point that my Note 3 is at.

He's even considering buying an iPhone 6 even though he handles technology like shit. First day he got an iPad 2 for example, he left it at the top of the stairs and subsequently I almost stepped on the damn thing. He'd probably bend it on the first damn day. Oh, the amount of times I have had to get rid of Malware on his laptop - I once spent three hours getting rid of stupid shit he installed by searching dumb shit like "watch game of thrones season 6 online free". What kind of search is that? Season six doesn't even exist...

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

People that think every gaming PC is over $2000.

People that class runescape players differently than other gamers... - if there's anything that game has brough to the world is that a lot of people learned English from it, and in some Twitch Streams a chap gets so much donations that I think RS players may deal better with money IRL. So what I mean with that is that the game taught them to handle money properly and thus helped them in real life too. Maybe I am looking into this too much idk.

This. Although that's more of a "console player" issue than a techie issue.

We just tend to think a good gaming pc should be about $2000...or at least $2000 worth of SSD's

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Anyone who says Apple products are fast and powerful...

Hold your goddamn balls for a minute.

Mac OSX and iOS are very closed OSes and only support certain files and only work with certain hardware. So they have to be very tightly optimized for the sake of having somewhat decent performance. If you were to put Android on an iPhone, performance would be terrible because iPhones are fucking weak, same goes with iPads and Macs. Only exception is that a Mac would need to have Linux installed on it to properly evaluate hardware performance. My older brother for example who knows nothing about technology and once claimed that Dr. Dre Beats were the "best headphones in the world" claimed my Note 3 "wasn't smooth" and "wasn't powerful" even though it would take several generations of iPhone to get to the point that my Note 3 is at.

He's even considering buying an iPhone 6 even though he handles technology like shit. First day he got an iPad 2 for example, he left it at the top of the stairs and subsequently I almost stepped on the damn thing. He'd probably bend it on the first damn day. Oh, the amount of times I have had to get rid of Malware on his laptop - I once spent three hours getting rid of stupid shit he installed by searching dumb shit like "watch game of thrones season 6 online free". What kind of search is that? Season six doesn't even exist...

Man I seriously died at "What kind of search is that"

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

*insert BS about how Norton is the single worst anti virus, here*
*insert blaming Norton for their own stupidity, here*
*insert outdated, no longer valid, third hand knowledge for why it's worst than Hitler, here*

Those people. And there are MANY here on this very forum. I'm done trying to argue with those single minded folks who refuse to accept something can change/isn't responsible for your system crash.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

had a guy at work tell me that if he gets a case with more fans it will run faster then my rig -_-

same guy told me my computer was a waste of money and i should have bought an Xbox One cuz *all his friends have one" -_-

also said you cant tell the difference between 900p and 4k

my other friend asked about building a computer so i showed him what he was looking for with parts and told him to research what he needed.... instead he just typed in "best graphics card" on google and bought an HD7990 ( good card, but duel gpu) and then told me he bought it for £300 and it was a mining card thats why he got it "cheap" -_- . he also bought a 900D because it looked cool, and it wes better then my 750D (cuz....higher numbers) does not plan to water cool and his hardware looks so small and odd inside, ...and he also bought a 4670k.... and wont overclock...... bought 2400 speed RAM...then "couldnt be bothered" to set up his XMP profiles, after me telling him for months it takes seconds

And he built a £2000 rig to play world of watercraft -, That's all he plays , and one of his guild members lent him the £2000 to build it, so he doesn't have a clue about his specs and how mismatched his stuff is , really annoys me

and also console peasent on my facebook told me a couple of hours ago that unity looked better on the PS4 then my screen shots at full settings....

Wow, maybe we don't want console peasants switching to PC after all.....

Wow, maybe we don't want console peasants switching to PC after all.....

But bigger numbers are better. A 9600GT should wipe the the floor with a GTX 980. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

But bigger numbers are better. A 9600GT should wipe the the floor with a GTX 980. 

Um....no. Just no.

Even if that was possible it would be a hell of a lot more than 2000W

Um....no. Just no.

I think it would. Only a cheap peasant would think the a 980 would defeat the power that is the 9600GT. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

56255333.jpg

I cri evritim

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Mac OSX and iOS are very closed OSes and only support certain files and only work with certain hardware. So they have to be very tightly optimized for the sake of having somewhat decent performance. If you were to put Android on an iPhone, performance would be terrible because iPhones are fucking weak, same goes with iPads and Macs. Only exception is that a Mac would need to have Linux installed on it to properly evaluate hardware performance.

with the exception of ios being locked down (no one can really argue this) i disagree with pretty much everything else. you have your causality backwards. ios isnt optimized because the hardware is weak, the hardware is weak because ios is optimized. they want the lowest clock, lowest power consuming components they can get because it means they can use smaller batteries and thinner phones. if you used the same size battery than an iphone uses in an android the battery life would be terrible, and yet due to the software optimization iphones can and do beat android phones in speed tests, benchmarks and smoothness. (not EVERY android, but many, and usually all at time of iphone launch) essentially apple is choosing to "underpower" their phones because they can give you a top notch performance experience with a physically smaller device. ipads and macs are not really "fucking weak" at launch either. even purely judging by benchmarks...

as far as macs go, in what way is osx locked down? compared to linux maybe but compared to windows its not locked any more than usual. granted osx only works on supported hardware but thats the business strategy (obviously not intended to be used on non apple hardware) but the os itself is not limited to certain file types, thats only a limitation of the software you have installed. i can access all files on the machine same as windows, i can install anything from anywhere, etc. and why in gods name would you "need to have linux installed to properly evaluate hardware performance"? that makes no sense. do windows users install linux to evaluate their hardware?

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

with the exception of ios being locked down (no one can really argue this) i disagree with pretty much everything else. you have your causality backwards. ios isnt optimized because the hardware is weak, the hardware is weak because ios is optimized. they want the lowest clock, lowest power consuming components they can get because it means they can use smaller batteries and thinner phones. if you used the same size battery than an iphone uses in an android the battery life would be terrible, and yet due to the software optimization iphones can and do beat android phones in speed tests, benchmarks and smoothness. (not EVERY android, but many, and usually all at time of iphone launch) essentially apple is choosing to "underpower" their phones because they can give you a top notch performance experience with a physically smaller device. ipads and macs are not really "fucking weak" at launch either. even purely judging by benchmarks...

as far as macs go, in what way is osx locked down? compared to linux maybe but compared to windows its not locked any more than usual. granted osx only works on supported hardware but thats the business strategy (obviously not intended to be used on non apple hardware) but the os itself is not limited to certain file types, thats only a limitation of the software you have installed. i can access all files on the machine same as windows, i can install anything from anywhere, etc. and why in gods name would you "need to have linux installed to properly evaluate hardware performance"? that makes no sense. do windows users install linux to evaluate their hardware?

Simply put, Linux is open source. It is a very "bare" OS. It has NOTHING that could seriously effect performance in anyway which is why Linux is the best to use to evaluate HARDWARE. Meanwhile, OSX is beyond locked down. Can't open certain files without downloading random utilities which may or may not function. The Unarchiver for me gave unreliable results with unpackaging. Meanwhile, as for Macs and iPads being weak, they aren't too weak to begin with but the fact that they are either too weak in comparison to cheaper competition or too expensive for not enough makes them garbage to me.

Once more, speed tests and benchmarks are hopeless here because they are not on "even ground". Put two phones, a generic android phone and an iPhone on android and run geekbench - Then it's a fair test. Nothing there to interfere with anything. But I will admit software optimisation is good on iOS but the fact that there's no back button pisses me off beyond all belief.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

People that think that faster ram is better for gaming just because it's faster. '2400Mhz ddr3 must perform a lot better than 1600Mhz ddr3 because it's clocked 50% faster!' Just no...

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Simply put, Linux is open source. It is a very "bare" OS. It has NOTHING that could seriously effect performance in anyway which is why Linux is the best to use to evaluate HARDWARE. Meanwhile, OSX is beyond locked down. Can't open certain files without downloading random utilities which may or may not function. The Unarchiver for me gave unreliable results with unpackaging. Meanwhile, as for Macs and iPads being weak, they aren't too weak to begin with but the fact that they are either too weak in comparison to cheaper competition or too expensive for not enough makes them garbage to me.

Once more, speed tests and benchmarks are hopeless here because they are not on "even ground". Put two phones, a generic android phone and an iPhone on android and run geekbench - Then it's a fair test. Nothing there to interfere with anything. But I will admit software optimisation is good on iOS but the fact that there's no back button pisses me off beyond all belief.

i know what linux is lol. linux is not and to my knowledge never has been the standard for benchmarks. furthermore linux doesnt support all the functions that might factor into benchmarks. if anything windows should be used as a universal benchmark os, i have no idea where you're pulling this linux stuff from. 

"osx is beyond locked down" because it cant open certain files without a specific program? welcome to computers? there is not a massive difference in what osx can open natively and what windows can open natively. most common filetypes will be 100% compatible with both. even if there was a massive difference in file compatibility (which there is not), it doesnt make osx locked down. locked down means there isnt the ABILITY to do certain things. there is nothing stopping developers from creating apps that can open any kind of file you can think of. its not locked down. you could say "i dont use osx because i havent found a good program to deal with x" but that has nothing to do with how locked down the os is.

speed tests and benchmarks are not irrelevant just because they're on separate OSs. the whole point is that the end user experience is going to be equal to, or in some cases better than the comparable android flagship. it makes no sense to say "test an iphone with android on it" because thats never something thats going to happen. what does make sense is saying "how long does it take to load a webpage, to power on the device, to switch between apps and how fluid is it" these are the tests that actually give you an idea of which phone performs better. test something both phones and both OSs can do and see which has a better real world experience. your note 3 is not better than an iphone 6+ just because the cpu is faster if the whole phone performs worse.

i know what linux is lol. linux is not and to my knowledge never has been the standard for benchmarks. furthermore linux doesnt support all the functions that might factor into benchmarks. if anything windows should be used as a universal benchmark os, i have no idea where you're pulling this linux stuff from. 

"osx is beyond locked down" because it cant open certain files without a specific program? welcome to computers? there is not a massive difference in what osx can open natively and what windows can open natively. most common filetypes will be 100% compatible with both. even if there was a massive difference in file compatibility (which there is not), it doesnt make osx locked down. locked down means there isnt the ABILITY to do certain things. there is nothing stopping developers from creating apps that can open any kind of file you can think of. its not locked down. you could say "i dont use osx because i havent found a good program to deal with x" but that has nothing to do with how locked down the os is.

speed tests and benchmarks are not irrelevant just because they're on separate OSs. the whole point is that the end user experience is going to be equal to, or in some cases better than the comparable android flagship. it makes no sense to say "test an iphone with android on it" because thats never something thats going to happen. what does make sense is saying "how long does it take to load a webpage, to power on the device, to switch between apps and how fluid is it" these are the tests that actually give you an idea of which phone performs better. test something both phones and both OSs can do and see which has a better real world experience. your note 3 is not better than an iphone 6+ just because the cpu is faster if the whole phone performs worse.

The whole phone performs better. Which was my original point. My older brother was more or less nitpicking with one hand while jacking off Apple with the other. There's a more powerful GPU, CPU, more memory and there's a fuckload more storage. The problem is with the Note 3 is the stylus which just makes the phone unnecessarily thick and there's Touchwiz.

But the stylus can be ignored because the phone is slim and light enough and touchwiz can easily be gotten rid of by rooting Android.