YouTube May Let You Pay to Skip Ads via Payed subscription..

Ads..Ads everywhere..

You2.png

On Monday, at a conference in Silicon Valley, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said the video giant was considering launching an ad-free subscription service,

YouTube right now is ad-supported, which is great because it has enabled us to scale to a billion users; but there are going to be cases where people are going to say, `I don’t want to see the ads, or I want to have a different experience

- Susan Wojcicki  (Youtube CEO)

By offering subscriptions, YouTube would add not just another conduit of revenue, but new complexity as it gets into the competitive space previously dominated by TV subscription services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime

In 2013, YouTube let individual content owners sell subscriptions to their stuff, but it has done little to promote that option since then

susan-wojcicki-hed-2014.jpg

Wojcicki, previously the lead on Google’s advertising and analytics team, became CEO of YouTube in February. Since then, she has prioritized content creators on the site and sought to understand the audience ecosystem that supports them.

Currently, YouTube stars earn money by through a revenue share with Google on the ads tacked onto their videos, though many have said that these rates are too low. Indeed, there has been a threat for YouTube stars to jump ship for other competitors.

Screen-Shot-2013-12-11-at-10.43.13-AM-60

A subscription service could bolster creators’ earnings more by adding another source of revenue. And that extra money in their pockets probably can’t come too soon as rivals seek to undermine YouTube’s dominance

“There are always new ad platforms coming out, but at the end of the day people say, I’m going to go to the one that generates the most revenue for me.”

Ads-Ads-Everywhere.jpg

There have been talks about yahoo bringing a tough competition to googles youtube & been contacting some of the top subscribed/viewed channel content providers .. @LinusTech *wink wink*

Also facebook is doing something similar as you're reading this

YouTube also hasn’t spelled out how the new subscription service would compensate its talent, though it has historically shown a commitment to seeking to generate revenue for its creators

Google attracts more than a billion visitors per month, and an increasing number of them are coming from mobile. Google doesn’t break out YouTube’s financials

YouTube views are now coming from mobile devices. Along with that the site is growing 50 percent each year in terms of watch time

photo.jpg

YouTube wants its stars to stay(remember rumors of pewdiepie network? ), and it’s doing that by offering a new option. But the option doesn’t mean much unless viewers also get onboard.

Bonus:

funny-youtube-ad-placement-batman.jpg

Rather Cool news for those who haven't heard about adblock plus, Cool anyways

So... would you pay to keep ads away? :huh:  Post your thoughts & Comments / Rants down belowww...

Link:

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/keep-stars-happy-youtube-may-let-pay-skip-ads/

Details separate people.

LOL that bonus!

Also, you mean like twitch?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Man, I really hate using adblock but man if it comes to this im gonna have to just to protest it.

Might as well go ad free for everybody.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Disclaimer: I didn't read the article too much.

I wonder how this will effect how much money content providers will earn.

How exactly are they going to enforce this? What if the user isn't logged in?

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Pay to don't see ADS?

Lol!

I will continue to use Ghostery and NoScript in Firefox, I think they're better than Adblock. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

Pay to don't see ADS?

Lol!

I will continue to use Ghostery and NoScript in Firefox, I think they're better than Adblock. :P

You know LMG has this option where people are supporters in tiers of bronze,silver and gold. The thing about the ads is about how intrusive it is. The ads on this site are not even remotely annoying but on youtube it will drive you insane.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

But this exists.

adblock-logo-large-02-3a1f5cff6ccd1a3025

Yes, but think of all the middle school teachers who are going to need an employer provided Business Account for Youtube. 90% of my history and art classes from grades 6-12 were teachers playing a youtube video

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

So I can pay to skip ads or I can just use a free browser extension... Sometimes I wonder what people think when they come up with ideas like this.

most of you are missing the point about a paid subscription, this is not going to replace ads completely, this is to give people choice and what i'm assuming is the important bit, to increase revenue, every quarter youtube reports increased views from mobile (which doesn't have ads) compared to desktop/website views (which does have ads) this is a way to profit from that end, why do you guys think the massive issue with dmca claims happened last year, the forced networks to reduce their privileged channels that skip the automated system to normal channels, yes, it was mostly due to the stupid amount of takedowns request, but it was also to change the revenue stream from networked channels since they were getting paid from every view regardless if it was monetized or not, this changed that an most network settled to only pay for monetized views, now with a premium ad free subscription, it changes everything, if its something reasonable like netflix is, i might go for it, youtube is my main source of entertainment these days

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So I can pay to skip ads or I can just use a free browser extension... Sometimes I wonder what people think when they come up with ideas like this.

Serious question: How do you think that Linus pays his employees and feeds his family?

I believe that he's said that Google's ad service isn't a very large part of his company's total income, but since he is offering us a free service, he has to get money from somewhere. Viewers using things like adblock is basically just like pissing on the work that his crew has done.

Dishonest people will continue to be dishonest, but if this service allows for honest people to both enjoy ad-free content without directly hurting the content creators, there's a good chance that it will be very successful. (Twitch has been doing this with success for a long time if I'm not mistaken).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Oh dear, I seem to have that functionality since 4 years ago in the form of a stop shaped ABP sign.

Lel

i gave the adblock guy a buck...already paid.

Scummy 

Scummy 

I'll tell you what's scummy- the mobile ads. They don't pay the content providers, and they play in the middle of videos. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Serious question: How do you think that Linus pays his employees and feeds his family?

I believe that he's said that Google's ad service isn't a very large part of his company's total income, but since he is offering us a free service, he has to get money from somewhere. Viewers using things like adblock is basically just like pissing on the work that his crew has done.

Dishonest people will continue to be dishonest, but if this service allows for honest people to both enjoy ad-free content without directly hurting the content creators, there's a good chance that it will be very successful. (Twitch has been doing this with success for a long time if I'm not mistaken).

How do I think he pays his employees and feeds his family? Through sponsors  and any extra revenue that may/may not be generated by his company.

Besides, you make it sound like it's rocket science just to disable an extension to benefit him.

How do I think he pays his employees and feeds his family? Through sponsors  and any extra revenue that may/may not be generated by his company.

Besides, you make it sound like it's rocket science just to disable an extension to benefit him.

And the sponsors use... Advertisements....

Yes, Google's ads before videos play are different than the sponsor messages in the middle of the videos, but it's the same idea really.. Both are advertisements that benefit the content creators (whether that be Linus or SomeNamelessRandomChannel#453) and allow us to watch the content for free. 

I don't believe that I made it sound like rocket science to temporarily disable extensions. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

ADs ADs  Ads EVERYwhere?  there are only two on each page and half the time one can be minimised.

Content has to be paid for somehow, it costs real money to provide the service to view it, if you don't want ads then either be prepared to pay for the service or go without. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

ADs ADs  Ads EVERYwhere?  there are only two on each page and half the time one can be minimised.

Content has to be paid for somehow, it costs real money to provide the service to view it, if you don't want ads then either be prepared to pay for the service or go without. 

Youtube is not the worst offender for me. I don't like ads on a lot of the videos, but I am fine if it's a channel i watch. 

I don't like websites that have so many ads that it's makes the browser sluggish. Sometimes I turn it off and it's like whoa this is slow to load. And my computer is just fine, and my connection is 12/5, so decent enough

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

LOL that bonus!

Also, you mean like twitch?

I don't know about twitch, But it's knda like what Netflix & Hulu does..

Details separate people.

Youtube is not the worst offender for me. I don't like ads on a lot of the videos, but I am fine if it's a channel i watch. 

I don't like websites that have so many ads that it's makes the browser sluggish. Sometimes I turn it off and it's like whoa this is slow to load. And my computer is just fine, and my connection is 12/5, so decent enough

I just don't use sites that are stupidly overloaded with ads.  If everyone does the same then companies will find a way to improve their ad revenue, rather than look at paid accounts.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.