Far Cry 4 dev: Resolution doesn't sell games

rafbanaan

1080p or not 1080p isn't an "interesting question", according to Far Cry 4 creative director Alex Hutchinson, who spoke to OXM at length about the commercial efficacy of rad graphics at a preview event earlier this month.

"It's certainly not something I care about in a game," Hutchinson told me, after confirming a target resolution and frame rate of 1080p and 30 frames a second. "It feels weird to me that people are cool about playing a sort of retro pixel game, and yet the resolution somehow matters. It's like: is it fun, is it interesting, is it new, is it fresh, are there interesting questions?

"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen. I don't know the exact numbers, but it starts to get a little crazy. I'm just in it for the experience, I'll play a SNES game if it's cool."

"It's a rare question for you to ask now about resolution or something," Hutchinson went on. "It's [only brought up] because of the disparity, the idea that one version is being held back. I don't think that has sold consoles for a while now.

"I think experiences have been selling them, and that's your challenge, if you don't have a new cool experience, or a social experience - like Call of Duty sells consoles, even though art-wise, it's not exactly... like Call of Duty to Crytek's games, one sells a metric s**t-ton and the other doesn't."

On this "I'm just in it for the experience, I'll play a SNES game if it's cool." I have to agree. If the game is awesome, why care about the graphics or resolution, but the rest.. :lol

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=919837

Offcial source: http://www.totalxbox.com/82240/resolution-doesnt-sell-games-says-far-cry-4-dev-1080p-debate-is-a-weird-echo-chamber/

lol its better if they dont keep talking about it

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

this is getting much more funnier. they need to stfu or they will probably go bankrupt 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Oh god we cant stop these idiots anymore

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Going from a 21:9 2560x1080 29" monitor to my lovely Dell 4k 24", you can tell oh balls you can tell. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Well, they're not 100% wrong....I care a lot more about the content than the game itself--I wouldnt not buy a game because with an amazing gameplay just because it could hit 1080p (although, I'd certainly be pissed off). 

Anyway....more on topic...Ubisoft really needs to learn something very very important. There are two types of gamers, console gamers and pc gamers. Console gamers don't care about any of this stuff....but they're also not the ones who read this stuff....So... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

resolution might not sell games, but a lot of console gamers only care about what the marketing guys tell them.

Anyway, it's true that a game whose art design is retrostyled or cartoonish doesn't need super high resolutions, but if the art design of the game can be held back by too low a res then surely that's damaging the experience. So really resolution is important - you need enough pixels to showcase the game art without compromise. And room for UI elements.

The "Let's hope most people are idiots and don't know we are limiting their experience to be comparable to a ccertain console..." campaign.

Fuck these guys. They will never get my money.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

UBISOFT stop talking >< 

Resolution does not "sell" a game, but that is NOT the point we are making.... We want to experience the game as best as possible, we invest all of our money in expensive hardware to give us a better gaming experience,  and you keep fucking us over!!

I dont flip the game box over and go "omg looks its 1920x1080, I need this game" but If I did buy it, and it ran at 640x480, I would be very dissapointed, and it would ruin my experiance

I really dont think ubisoft understand the complaint what so ever, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

He makes a good point, resolution doesn't sell games.

On PC games that support a wide variety of settings however do benefit the consumer and make the product more appealing, better still, it's likely that consumer will tell their friends and the Internet about it and likely check out your next project too.

What he's saying on console makes sense as I don't believe there are many titles that allow you to switch modes in order to effect performance and effects - it's more of a display compatibility option if anything.

How about those that have the cash to burn start ordering a load of these to send to the following address:

Yves Guillemot

Co-founder & CEO

28, rue Armand Carrel

93108 Montreuil-Sous-Bois, France

31lF%2BK5euuL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-GT30-No-Shovel-Handle/dp/B000LFU08Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1414422711&sr=1-2&keywords=shovel

You know I'm really starting to get pissed the fuck off about this. Not about Ubisoft, I expect them to be motherfucking stubborn retards and keep making this statements. I'm pissed off at the stupid fucking "press" sites that keep reporting on this shit. If you're not going to start your article with a disclaimer like "This guys are factually WRONG but if you don't have anything else to read while shitting you might continue reading" then you shouldn't be allowed to give this asshats a voice on the press.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can't they just SHUT UP?? For ONCE? I am getting Far Cry 4 off my buying list NOW.. I will ONLY torrent it. (I dare.)

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Go go go! Dig dig dig! 

I don't mind the resolution of old retro games since that's the aesthetic they are looking for. Ubisoft makes games that focus on looking realistic which requires the highest resolution and frame rate possible. 

What the fuck happened to Ubisoft?

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

You know I'm really starting to get pissed the fuck off about this. Not about Ubisoft, I expect them to be motherfucking stubborn retards and keep making this statements. I'm pissed off at the stupid fucking "press" sites that keep reporting on this shit. If you're not going to start your article with a disclaimer like "This guys are factually WRONG but if you don't have anything else to read while shitting you might continue reading" then you shouldn't be allowed to give this asshats a voice on the press.

A real journalist would take the press statements and use them to create a hypothesis.  The would then take this and compare it to the factual and historical evidence, as well as consulting third party experts from all sides of the arguement.  This would then be written and rewritten and edited down to something sleek and informative without bias.

But games journalism doesn't employ investigative journalists any more, just people to rewrite press clippings and post an embedded Youtube or Kickstarter link.  Honestly some of the in-house members here present the articles better than click-bait games "journo" websites.

they only care about money & right now the xbox1 & ps4 are their golden chicken's pc sales are only about 10% of their total sales 

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

Ubisoft is used to the fact that in a video game they can shape reality how they see fit, but in the real world they hold no such power, at least not to the degree they think they do.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

A real journalist would take the press statements and use them to create a hypothesis.  The would then take this and compare it to the factual and historical evidence, as well as consulting third party experts from all sides of the arguement.  This would then be written and rewritten and edited down to something sleek and informative without bias.

But we don't have any real investigative journalists any more.  Louis Theroux is probably the last great investigative journalist.

Yes but thread carefully, I can already hear a group of "feminists" gathering outside your house to picket you for saying anything bad about gaming "journalists"

-------

Current Rig

-------

He's the Creative Director. Do you know what that means? He works on the story and stuff, not the actual code. He doesn't know anything. Who cares. Die Ubisoft. Please. Or at least shut up.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If graphics dont matter ... then why dont they just make games that can run at 1080p 60hz on the consoles instead of making games that are so demanding they have to turn down the resolution.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/