Far Cry 4 dev: Resolution doesn't sell games

rafbanaan

Ubisoft is the reason I SOLD my PS4. I bought the PS4 in anticipation for Watch Dogs, but when it was announced that it wouldn't run at 1080 or a decent frame rate on consoles I boxed it up and sold it. Then I was even more annoyed that that the game still runs like crap on my PC (4770k, SLI 780 ti's).

I have no hope in Ubisoft and have lost any hope of a next gen console expierience. The consoles were promised to be 1080p, 60fps powerhouses, but to me have failed miserably.

The fact that any company would call a limitation a feature does not deserve my money.

Right, and I agree. But it still isn't resolution that sells a game. People don't search for games based on their resolution ("Wow, this game is 4k, instant buy"), instead they search for games based on content, genre, gameplay.

But yes, fortunately with PC modding we don't have to settle for one or the other.

Modding is there for players to customize gaming experience, not to work on things developers should have done.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Ubisoft is the reason I SOLD my PS4. I bought the PS4 in anticipation for Watch Dogs, but when it was announced that it wouldn't run at 1080 or a decent frame rate on consoles I boxed it up and sold it. Then I was even more annoyed that that the game still runs like crap on my PC (4770k, SLI 780 ti's).

I have no hope in Ubisoft and have lost any hope of a next gen console expierience. The consoles were promised to be 1080p, 60fps powerhouses, but to me have failed miserably.

The fact that any company would call a limitation a feature does not deserve my money.

Yeah, and this is what the game used to look like, at the time Ubisoft said that the game was running on SLI 680s

dogs4mevz.gif

Look at that lifelike detail, this is the game i thought i was buying, as we got closer to the release the more apparent the downgrade was, but i still told myself that it must be all console promotional footage, no way that they'd gimp PC like that...i was wrong, at least i didn't pay full price.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Exactly. I wouldn't have felt so strongly if they had just said, sorry, not really our fault, we'll make it the best thing possible though. And then not dialed back PC settings.

But from everything I've heard of this company they strike me as a plague. I wish there was some kind of, "We don't buy Ubisoft" Pledge campaign to get their attention and get the game settings right.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Right, and I agree. But it still isn't resolution that sells a game. People don't search for games based on their resolution ("Wow, this game is 4k, instant buy"), instead they search for games based on content, genre, gameplay.

But yes, fortunately with PC modding we don't have to settle for one or the other.

It depends.

As an example I own a ps3 but I didn't buy GTA V simply because the game looks and runs so bad that I can't even enjoy it especially if you're used to 1080p/60fps.

If it wouldn't release on PC I still wouldn't have bought it because I don't find it acceptable in 2014 to have a game run and look like this.

RTX2070OC 

Why don't they make games rendered in 16 pixels by 9 pixels and save themselves a lot of trouble then ?

Spoiler

Idk it made sense to me.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

At this point I'm starting to think Ubisoft is intentionally fucking with us. For you CANNOT be this dumb.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I sit but 7 feet from my 65 4k, and I can see it perfectly, I think.

4K tv means you can sit closer and get a more immersive experience without pixels in your face.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Wow, ubisoft just keeps going. They are like that 12 year old in you-tube comments that thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong and just wont stop.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Ey! how is it down there? 

*Covers up the hole with dirt when ubisoft are in the hole*

This time I can agree with them. Resolution doesn't actually sell the game the games content does however it is nice if we can play our games at high resolutions and high framerates on PC. I really don't care about console they can have 900p 30fps all this gen but the PC should be the leading platform for every game where the performance is the best it could possible be and have great PC centric features. But that would only happen if the industry wasn't run like a multi million £ business. Gaming got too big and now the people who run the big companies have no interest in games but making money out of games. So why should they care.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

he's right about resolution don't sell games but bullshit neither does, at this point is better if they just shut their whore mouth off

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

s1zV4Pm.jpg

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Just because gameplay matters does not make fidelity irrelevant. If he doesn't care about resolution let's see him play Far Cry 4 at 320x240, then try to say resolution doesn't matter.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I loved Far Cry and Far Cry 3, but Ubisoft won't be receiving a penny from me any time in the future.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

At this point it seems to me as if Ubisoft hired an entire department of comedians to keep coming up with stupid statements about fps and resolutions.

I might as well play Far Cry 3 again instead of Far Cry 4 since three and four are just numbers.

"No, no Dig UP stupid!"

-snip-

I'm telling you, we should pirate all Ubi games from now on. It's the only way to show these guys that one does not simply fuck with PC Master Race.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I doubt that Microsoft and Sony are forcing anything on these companies when you have devs like this that work for them.

First things first, the site is "totalxbox.com", which kinda gives you an idea of who this article is written for.. While many of us probably can tell the difference between something as minor as different types of anti-aliasing, console gamers are perfectly happy with a simple "good enough".

I don't think it's untrue that the majority of average gamers don't care about resolution or graphical fidelity.. Ten-fifteen years ago, minor improvements to graphics resulted in very noticeable improvements to average customers. Nowadays, while there are still tons of improvements that still need to be made, most games are "good enough" to satisfy the needs of gamers who are just looking for "good enough".

Compare Battlefield 1942 to BF2.. Then compare BF3 vs BF4.. BF4 is definitely better than BF3, but nowhere near the degree that BF2 is better than BF1942.. (also, Far Cry 1 vs FC2 compared to FC3 vs FC4)

Of course, it is goddamn 2014.. 1080p is an old standard. Bring on the 4k, baby!

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

oh for the love of god people, yall starting to make me sick. I think i am one of a few here that simply doesn't care about resolution or numbers in the corner of my damn screen. I dont know whats worse. Ubisoft telling everyone how they feel or the crybabies blatting all over the internet.

I wont buy Far Cry 4 if Ubisoft is going to cap the performance on PC's, I didnt spend a bunch of money on a nice rig to play games at console grapic levels.