Linksys charges premium for "cool" looking network switches

Samfisher

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/linksys-adds-overpriced-stackable-switch-to-its-classic-blue-router/

Basically Linksys is charging you almost DOUBLE for an 8-port Gigabit switch cos.... "It Looks so Cool!". Also it stacks.

I especially like this part :

Linksys boasted that the new switch has "Auto-Sensing Ports" that "maximize data flow rates to connected devices" and go into power-saving mode when a connected device is off or not in use. The press release doesn't mention that auto-sensing ports have been a standard feature for years. Even the $50 8-port switch that's been available from Linksys since 2011 has them.

linksys-li-SE4008-3-l-640x486.jpg

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Lets be honest here, I'm sure the majority of the people on these forums have bought one product over another for aesthetic reasons. Hey, it's kept Beats in business all these years

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Lets be honest here, I'm sure the majority of the people on these forums have bought one product over another for aesthetic reasons. Hey, it's kept Beats in business all these years

Not any more it's not.

Edited by Windspeed36

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I like to have matching sets of hardware. If I owned a WRT1900AC then I would not buy a 10 year old switch to go with it. I would buy the one that matches and has the latest software and support, and looks good.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

*snip*

Shows you how much I care for Beats :P

And lol at that pic, are you the same guy posting it every time?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Shows you how much I care for Beats :P

And lol at that pic, are you the same guy posting it every time?

Yes.

I'm the local Frozen guy.

@CreeperCrawlers is my apprentice :P

JK, but he likes Frozen too, he just hasn't been on because of personal stuff.

I don't talk about it as much as he does, but I use many memes and such.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Not any more it's not.

if your going to post that every single time, atleast spoiler it

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

To be fair if I have 3 Linksys switches since I got them on sale and the look really nice. (That metal chassis) I bought each of them thinking it was a 5-port but someone messed up somewhere and they put an 8port in one of the boxes so needles to say I was pretty happy xD and of course I'm set for a LAN party :P

if your going to post that every single time, atleast spoiler it

if you're going to neiiiigh every single time, atleast spoiler it ;)

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

if you're going to neiiiigh every single time, atleast spoiler it ;)

Neigh!!!!!

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Neigh!!!!!

I'm not quite sure what I have expected when clicking at every single spoiler :D

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I'm not quite sure what I have expected when clicking at every single spoiler :D

I was expecting some kind of horse loving

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Yeah linksys asked if I wanted to review this and I was just like, uh....

I really don't know what I would say about a switch.

Maybe bend test...

Tell Luke to turn it into a fighting robot and post results.

Maybe bend test...

Try a blend test.

Also what the hell are we doing up at ~2AM lol

linksys has really let me down lately with there claims lately

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I actually think it's ugly, I prefer plain and simple.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Maybe bend test...

Here is a new test that we can get trending

the "Frisbee it off the roof test" 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii