10 things every PC gamer should own

The Gaige

Ergonomic gear?  Yes.  Mousepad?  Yes.  Controller?  What.. no.  God no.  Rarely are they needed or superior.  Ever.  High-quality microphone?  You don't need one, but you certainly should strive for one.  You can get some without breaking the bank like a modmic.  Headlamp however.. I don't know if you need that.  Unless you're repairing / building a computer in a cave or having a lan-party at night on a mountain without led keyboards. :P  As for Fraps. . .that shouldn't even be existent xP

Well obviously, you only play GRID and Dirt. Try a just slightly realistic racing game and you will be ready to throw your keyboard out the window. Hell even NFS Shift will change your mind.

i don't like racing simulators 

i don't like racing simulators 

So there you go. Other people like racing simulators and we like controllers for them as well (at least the ones that can't afford a proper rig). The fact that you don't personally need a controller doesn't make it "disgusting".

I like Shift stick (ingame and real life) so i have a wheel. 

I did say something this time!

-bloop-

I'm not actually, you just asked if you think it's true or not which is not really adding anything to the article. I would have mentioned what 10 things I think are necessary or what I thought about their list of things or something. You literally just said "Just wanted to know if you all think this is true or not?"

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

So much controller hate. I have always had a controller for my PC since the late 90's. One of the advantages of PCs is that you can use whatever input device you want. Just because consoles use controllers does not make them bad for PC!

Also, PS3&4 "support" mouse and keyboard so I guess we gotta stop using them on our pure PCs...

why does everyone need fraps? That last one just seems like a horrible product placement.

Hey feller.

I own none of these things. am I a bad person?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Fraps and a controller? In not a YouTuber so I don't need fraps...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I got a controller because racing games. I wouldn't play an FPS with it though.

I like the idea of a headlamp as it can get dark inside my case. But a microphone?

Do I really want to join the witty and intelligent conversations that people have during multiplayer games?

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

One of it is:

kfc.jpg

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

I only agree on the part of having a screwdriver, a vacuum or some sort of compressed air. Controllers? Ew. No.

controller?

aqOt63O.jpg

You guys... stop it

I don't live by your rules.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Don't agree with fraps or headlamp. Depending on what games you play a controller can be useful. 

The value of a controller depends on the game. If you're into fun little 2D indie titles or are doing some in-home streaming then it's pretty much a requirement. If you're really into racing, fighting and 'arcade' style games then it makes sense. If however you only play the strategy games and shooters? It's completely unnecessary. I don't see why people would want to whine about the fact that some people think a controller is a requirement. Even if I wasn't into the sort of games that need it I'd see it as proof of the variety of content you can enjoy on the platform. It ain't a negative.

Also anyone who thinks that a game like Shovel Knight is better played with a keyboard than a good D-Pad? They need their head checked.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

That screw driver looked familiar. I think the guy who wrote this is a fan of Linus.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

i agree with most except the headlamp, because it should just be a torch, the mousepad because most mouse these days can track on anything, the fraps, because shadowplay is better. I actually like the controller for some games such as fighting or racing, or shitty console ports (darksiders 2)

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

Funnily enough, I would actually need a headlamp because my room is very poorly lit and I have found myself using my phone's torch quite a bit. Fraps however was something I could not agree with because it only exists nowadays to rape resources.

Also, there are some badass screw drivers shown in the magnetic screwdriver section.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

well i agree with most things, aside from headlamp, secondary tool kit, and fraps. Everyone doesn't HAVE to own a controller, but it's certainly a good thing to have, and some bad ports simply work best with or even require you to use a controller.