10 things every PC gamer should own

The Gaige

I am laughing so hard atm a head lamp A FREAKING HEAD LAMP what you are going to do dive into your rig? xD

I have really bad lighting in the only places I can work on my PC. So I have an old one my dad gave me, because he's a mechanic and has like 3.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Very true. What about the obligatory 99% isopropyl alcohol.

ehh, thats gone down in price, no issue.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I use a desk lamp and it helps a ton...Just put it behind the monitors and at night you really notice the difference, doesn't hurt your eyes after a all night gaming sesh lol

Current Build: Desk

My case is my most expensive part

Its Almost 2015 and I don't have an SSD

Well I agree on some of those. I don't have fraps or a headlamp...don't understand how a gamer would benefit from a headlamp...But anyway, I find that thats the biggest problem with this list: doesn't REEALLY apply to gamers. Some of the things apply to system builders.

Although I am planning to get a good microphone next - thinking of Blue Snowball or Yeti...

Case Define r3 CPU 3930k GPU EVGA GTX 780 RAM 16GB Vengeance PSU Corsair HX750W SSD Samung 840 Evo 500GB + Corsiar Force 120GB + Samsung 840 250GB HDD 2x WD Blue 1TB + Seagate 2TB Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor Asus MG279 Headphones Sennheiser HD700 + Beyerdynamic T51p + Sennheiser ie80 Microphone Rode Podcaster  DAC/Amp Denon DA-USB300 + Schiit Valhalla 

PC Gamer has honestly gone down the toilet. There are 10 tech sites I visit and theirs isn't one of them. What a stupid article. 

3x Dell U2414H Triple Monitor Surround @ 5760x1080 / Corsair Obsidian 900D / ASUS ROG Z97 Maximus VII Hero / i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz / 2x EVGA SC GTX 780Ti SLI @ 1150MHz / 16GB GeiL DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / Corsair AX1200W PSU

Gallery: [1] [2] [3] - Fire Strike Score - Steam Profile

Good things to have. But absolutely not. Whoever wrote that has never been a poor pre-teen gamer. You can game on so much less - and if anything most of those were must haves for system builders. I have friends who are afraid to open their machines...

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

A  controller? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING? 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

This list sucks.

Here's my thoughts, in no particular order.

1. A good #2 Phillips Screwdriver

2. A Mechanical Keyboard

3. A gaming mouse

4. A good desk chair

5. A decent Mic

6. Good speakers or headset

7. A dedicated GPU

8. Good monitor(s)

9. Steam account

10. Girlfriend/Boyfriend Zip ties.

I could only come up with 9 so I had to improvise the tenth. :D

Edit: Fixed the 10th now with a better option.

Some people do not like the feeling of mechanical keyboards, so just edit it "A good keyboard" 

RIG:  CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Internal HDD SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card Case: Corsair 780T PSU: NZXT HALE82 850W 80+ Bronze Monitor: LG 34UM95-P Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Keyboard Mouse: Razer Taipan Mouse Mat: Razer Vespula Sound: Cyber Acoustics CA-3090, Corsair Vengeance 2100 :  1998.40 Euro

Some people do not like the feeling of mechanical keyboards, so just edit it "A good keyboard" 

That's valid. Fair assessment. :) 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well about controllers, I usually don't mind them mostly for rpgs that don't require much aiming. That usually it though.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I cannot use a controller, no matter what the genre. I think keyboard and mouse is pretty much the best control system that exists.

That's not to say you cannot improve them. You can add analogue to keyboard and Z axis to the mouse but it's not that necessary.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

A wrist rest for my mouse hand? No, I am not a high sensitivity chump that is going to damage their wrist from flicking it side to side. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Keyboard only sucks for Racing games and terrible console ports. And some platformers.

Yeah, like shadow of morodor. Terrible console port right? Or batman arkham origins. Not every game is meant to be played with a keyboard. Even pc games.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Yeah, like shadow of morodor. Terrible console port right? Or batman arkham origins. Not every game is meant to be played with a keyboard. Even pc games.

What are you talking about? I never called Shadow of Morodor or Batman terrible console ports. I also know that not every game is meant to be played with a keyboard, that's quite obvious. But what I'm saying, is that for the majority of games, it's better to use a Mouse & Keyboard.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

What are you talking about? I never called Shadow of Morodor or Batman terrible console ports. I also know that not every game is meant to be played with a keyboard, that's quite obvious. But what I'm saying, is that for the majority of games, it's better to use a Mouse & Keyboard.

Neither of those games are platformers, well I guess batman could be 5% of the time but my point is there are actually a hell of a lot of games that work fine with a controller. 

Batman

darksouls

skyrim

gauntlet

lichdom battlemage

mirrors edge

portal

sleeping dogs

the witcher 2.

Just to name the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I think everyone should have a controller. There are too many games that play better with them, even if they are still playable with keyboard and mouse. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Neither of those games are platformers, well I guess batman could be 5% of the time but my point is there are actually a hell of a lot of games that work fine with a controller. 

Batman

darksouls

skyrim

gauntlet

lichdom battlemage

mirrors edge

portal

sleeping dogs

the witcher 2.

Just to name the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I think everyone should have a controller. There are too many games that play better with them, even if they are still playable with keyboard and mouse. 

Correct. But I don't.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

A wrist rest for my mouse hand? No, I am not a high sensitivity chump that is going to damage their wrist from flicking it side to side. 

4188384328_7b0ea62bee.jpg

Please, wrist rests are the best.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

4188384328_7b0ea62bee.jpg

Please, wrist rests are the best.

I'm gay. Don't want anime breasts on my desk. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

WHAT THE FUCK...

pm3UCw6-7q1L.840x0.Vdef9Kkm.jpg

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I understand everything? What's with the headlight? You turn it on while gaming ?

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

51cPhmyJnqL._SY300_.jpg

Don't worry, we have you covered.

I knew I'd get that response. :D

But I don't like anime. :P

Keyboard and mouse for most games, controller for racers, beat 'em ups and emulating things.

Personally I go wheel for racing games (honestly I'm starting to feel like the only person alive who has one at this point), I used to go fighting stick for fighting games and controller for platformers/emulators and old RPG's when I'm feeling particularly nostalgic. Also controllers for local multiplayer.

This list seems more like it is geared towards custom builders rather than "pc gamers" in general. I love custom building but very few of my friends actually custom build. Even if they buy seperate components they usually get someone else to do it for them (often me).