What do you guys think about parents who limit their kids computer and console time?

Tahab_1

My parents only let me play games on the computer on weekends and I'm allowed pretty much general use and homework only during the week. I'm fine with this personally. But what do you guys think about this? I don't know anyone apart from myself who has this rule, it used to be a lot more stricter, I used to only be allowed 4 hours a day on weekends and NO time on my consoles or PC during the week. I'm 16 now and pretty have freedom to whatever I want to do. But I still choose to follow their rules. What do you guys think?

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

No parent(s) are the same. Each have their own way of parenting.

But what is your opinion on parents who do this? Or take it too far?

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

Im always on my PC when im at home, there's nothing to do outside any more since it is now Chav infested. Although when I am supposed to be doing College work I tend to Procrastinate a lot (just like im doing now, hence why im on the Linus Forum and not doing College work)

I think you have been domesticated. ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think that they made you so deal with it. They're the bosses. If you have a problem with it, tell them and give them something to consider like adding a few hours every night to play games.

My Mum used to do this but my Dad convinced her this is where the world is going (technology) and I should excel at this if I want to and learn to code or do whatever on a computer, build one etc.

EDIT: Also my friends parents used to have the internet automatically shut off at 10 or so but as long as we were already on Skype and connected to a Minecraft server before 10:00 we could keep playing as long as he didn't end the skype call or disconnect from the server, then his parents autolocked his computer but he decided to break into the admin account so he could recover data and ended up making himself an Admin in the process thus his parents gave up.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

It is totally reasonable to limit your kids' time on the PC and/or consoles. I personally would go for an accomplishment-based system though, meaning that as long as you do well in school you can have more computer time, but if your grades are bad you have to focus more on studying. That seems like the "right" thing to me because gaming can actually be an exhausting activity and if it drags down your performance in school it should be limited.

I have a friend who was raised almost like this... Only stricter (2-ish hours?)...

Thing is, he was able to find some workarounds by going to netcafes outside of class hours...

As for me, as long as I bring good results, it's cool with my parents... But... I wouldn't want to be under such rule...

I can understand that they're trying to instill a sense of discipline onto the child but it will only work for so long...

My parents only let me play games on the computer on weekends and I'm allowed pretty much general use and homework only during the week. I'm fine with this personally. But what do you guys think about this? I don't know anyone apart from myself who has this rule, it used to be a lot more stricter, I used to only be allowed 4 hours a day on weekends and NO time on my consoles or PC during the week. I'm 16 now and pretty have freedom to whatever I want to do. But I still choose to follow their rules. What do you guys think?

As much as kids usually do hate this, I personally think it's a wise idea. If limits weren't put in place, kids would just endless play games on their computers and consoles with virtually no family time. I'm an adult now, however, when I was much younger my parents would put limits on my computer time. If they'd let me, I would've wasted a lot of my life on my computer and hardly any time with the rest of my family. I think family is really important and I think limits are definitely needed. I didn't understand this when I was a kid, but now as an adult you really do start to understand a lot of things that you didn't before. So yes, I really do think limits are a great idea. I believe it's unhealthy to not have a them.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Too much of almost anything can be harmful, I think it's the parents job to help balance things if the kid can't for him/herself.

My friend is legit only allowed one hour a day, and why i can see why his parents would do that, that's cruel, only one hour. In the first week that I got Team Fortress 2, I played for 45 hours. When i got The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, I didn't leave my couch until I finally got the Master Sword. I slept there, on that couch. But I guess you do need a limit, some kids just can't leave their console for 30 minutes.

I think it's good

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Depends on the kid personality, and how he or she performs socially and in school.

If the kid in question is playing games all day and not studying, then putting a limit is a requirement.

If the kid stays inside all day, all the time, even in summer time, and has little to no friends, then putting a limit is also a requirements.

If the kid is fine, then there is no point.

When my dad passed I started to spend all day on the computer. But since then I make quite a bit of money online so its not too bad.

Parents should prob keep an eye on it. To a certain extent,

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

My parents haven't limited my time spent on PC by any way.   It became my passion , I'm studying information technology right now.  On the other side I got addicted do it. Limiting time spent on a pc is a must. Not necessary you should allow to sit for 1 hour only. But then again, phones thees days are no different than PC. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Im always on my PC when im at home, there's nothing to do outside any more since it is now Chav infested. Although when I am supposed to be doing College work I tend to Procrastinate a lot (just like im doing now, hence why im on the Linus Forum and not doing College work)

You can always go and see the Chuckle Brothers. After all, they are from Rotherham.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Depends on the kid personality, and how he or she performs socially and in school.

If the kid in question is playing games all day and not studying, then putting a limit is a requirement.

If the kid stays inside all day, all the time, even in summer time, and has little to no friends, then putting a limit is also a requirements.

If the kid is fine, then there is no point.

I'm fine and all my brothers are fine too... However we had this rule in place. I don't think it did much of anything tbh, however it did help me with studies and is still helping... However I do procastinate a LOT!

I think it is dumb if there is absolutely nothing else to do besides play some games. My aunt would rather have my cousin sit around literally doing nothing then play a game....

Exactly what I used to do when I finished my time.

When my dad passed I started to spend all day on the computer. But since then I make quite a bit of money online so its not too bad.

Parents should prob keep an eye on it. To a certain extent,

Sorry about your dad :'(

Was expecting a link on how to earn 2400$ a day for a second lol

That reminds me... I should be writing my speech outline right now...

I absolutely think parents should limit their kids to the amount of time they spend on the computer. Even a couple of hours is quite a bit.

Now, if they were researching stuff, or something productive, then it should be allowed. But from a strict gaming standpoint, two hours is plenty.

There are more social and proactive things you can do with your time and it's important to learn that as a youth.

Kids generally can't think that way, it's the adults responsibility to teach them.

Every day I deal with people that just don't seem adapted to every day life, and a huge part of it is easily that.

I have a friend who was raised almost like this... Only stricter (2-ish hours?)...

Thing is, he was able to find some workarounds by going to netcafes outside of class hours...

As for me, as long as I bring good results, it's cool with my parents... But... I wouldn't want to be under such rule...

I can understand that they're trying to instill a sense of discipline onto the child but it will only work for so long...

It's not so much discipline as it is learning about the world around you.

There's a lot more to life than a computer screen, mouse and keyboard.

As much as kids usually do hate this, I personally think it's a wise idea. If limits weren't put in place, kids would just endless play games on their computers and consoles with virtually no family time. I'm an adult now, however, when I was much younger my parents would put limits on my computer time. If they'd let me, I would've wasted a lot of my life on my computer and hardly any time with the rest of my family. I think family is really important and I think limits are definitely needed. I didn't understand this when I was a kid, but now as an adult you really do start to understand a lot of things that you didn't before. So yes, I really do think limits are a great idea. I believe it's unhealthy to not have a them.

Exactly this.
Not only family time, but social interaction in general.

I think it is dumb if there is absolutely nothing else to do besides play some games. My aunt would rather have my cousin sit around literally doing nothing then play a game....

There's always something else to do.
The simple fact that you can't think of anything else shows that it's a problem.

What do you think people did before there were games? Yeah. Exactly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

My mum used to make me ask before I went on my original Xbox and I was only allowed an hour, but at that time, I was five. This continued until I was 12, though at this age, I was allowed a lot longer than just an hour. I don't really mind, it is a good way too keep children active and not in a solitary state for too long. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"