Blizzard cancels its next-gen MMO Titan after seven years

dlf

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/23/6833953/blizzard-cancels-titan-next-gen-mmo-pc

Blizzard has officially canceled development on its mysterious next-generation massively multiplayer game Titan. The company confirmed the news to Polygon in a recent interview.

This revelation comes after at least seven years in development and word last year that the developer was going back to the drawing board to reevaluate the project.

Speaking to Polygon, Blizzard co-founder and CEO Mike Morhaime reiterated that the company has technically never officially announced Titan, though it hasn't been shy to talk about the game over the past seven years. "We had created World of Warcraft, and we felt really confident that we knew how to make MMOs," Morhaime said. "So we set out to make the most ambitious thing that you could possibly imagine. And it didn't come together.

"We didn't find the fun," Morhaime continued. "We didn't find the passion. We talked about how we put it through a reevaluation period, and actually, what we reevaluated is whether that's the game we really wanted to be making. The answer is no."

Probably would have canbilized sales of WOW.  Although a historical MMO sounds interesting to me (think that's what it was supposed to be) - I like history, but I haven't ever touched any MMO.

Again? I thought they did this before... I hope the dev team get reassigned to WOW as the game is slipping as of late IMO.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I saw this on www.tweakers.net 

Feels like a huge waste of time and money to stop something like that after 7 years. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Now they can get back to Starcraft: Ghost

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

FFS Blizzard.

I don't go to Polygon but it's interesting news.

I am betting a big reason is the fact that WoW still has an enormous userbase. If you have a product that everyone is already paying for then the new product would simply cannibalize your market share. 7 years ago I bet they figured that WoW wouldn't still be as popular as it is.

Again? I thought they did this before... I hope the dev team get reassigned to WOW as the game is slipping as of late IMO.

It's slowly turned into AIDS since WOTLK was released mate.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It's slowly turned into AIDS since WOTLK was released mate.

TBC all the way! :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I just want them to release WarCraft as an RTS like it use to be... It that too much to ask for. :(

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Like I have been saying elsewhere it may be possible that WildStar was their Titan and they sold it to those WOW developers without the public knowing.  Blizzard gets paid for a project they no longer wanted and the WOW guys that bought it get whatever it is they wanted.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

TBC all the way! :)

I remember tanking Illidan for the first time as a prot warrior (my first main was a paladin, then shaman) and no bugger in my guild told me i had to activate shield wall when he splits the Azzinoth blades & does some crazy damage burst. Half the guild got wiped in like ~3 seconds. Hung my head in shame at first, but it became a little laughing point afterwards for the guildies.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Good, they need to focus on and fix what they've got.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Hmm. I wonder what WOD does for wow. I'm returning to the game as dreanor is something I always wanted to see. However if endgame is a bit... I'll probably get 100 on 2-3 alts then bugger off again.

All that money and time wasted just so they dont realse a shitty game... congrats blizzard i wish more companies would do that.

All right!!! we finally get StarCraft Ghost wohoo..

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Feels like a huge waste of time and money to stop something like that after 7 years. 

well i like the way they think.

to put my thoughts together with an other's words.

At least there are some companies that know not to release a shitty game.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Good for you Blizzard.

At least there are some companies that know not to release a shitty game.

It's too bad they didn't follow that for Diablo 3. Then again you have to release something when it takes a tenth of your employee's lifetimes to release a single game.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Obligatory "Remake Diablo 2 in HD instead of Diablo 3" remark

Maybe they'll actually set a release date for Legacy of the Void SC2 expansion now. We've been waiting for that one for a looooong time.

As if Blizzard lacks time or money. 

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Meh, was looking forward to some new IP sci.fi MMO and now this. Oh well, I hope I'll see something in near future.
P.S. Those saying about Warcraft 4, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, Blizzard said that waaaaay before and multiple times that they will continue story through WoW. How come people never heard of this?! They just whine about WC4

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Like I have been saying elsewhere it may be possible that WildStar was their Titan and they sold it to those WOW developers without the public knowing.  Blizzard gets paid for a project they no longer wanted and the WOW guys that bought it get whatever it is they wanted.

I never thought of that.

CONSPIRACY THEORY TIME

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)