Colorado High Schooler Invents Smart Gun That Unlocks With Your Fingerprint

Ethnod

unnamed6.jpg?w=738

17-year-oldkid from Boulder, Colorado, Kai Kloepfer, just won $50k for his prototype of a "Smart" Gun that locks with a biometric fingerprint scan. The gun works by creating user profiles and attaching a finger print to that profile and will not unlock (fire) unless its unlocked correctly. Kai has already bought himself a 3D printer and says that the rest of the $50k will be used to integrate the fingerprint scanner.

unnamed-112.jpg?w=600&h=397

Very impressive idea I have to day. And yea yea yea, we all know that fingerprint scanners can be fooled but its 1) a 17 year old high school kid and 2) it is mailing about barrier of entry. The effort and complicated know how to get around a scanner is low, this is something that will most certainly aid things and as biometric tech advances it will get harder and harder.

Very cool regardless

Source:

https://techcrunch.com/2014/09/13/colorado-high-schooler-invents-smart-gun-that-unlocks-with-your-fingerprint/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Just like Dredd!  Awesome!  Does it detonate if someone else tries to use it? Who wants to try first?

Hasn't this been a thing for quite a while?

I didn't think it was new.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i wonder if the pcb itself can withstand the gun firing.

it's really neat tho

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

In before "'Murica"

Seriously, this would be a good thing for police guns... assuming they actually destroy the guns they replace.

The best would be that it can be desactivated by distance so If you use it badly, Police can shut it down. Or to activate it, you need to do at the police station.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Sounds like a smart idea, but in practice in the real world it is less than ideal.

Where reaction time is the deciding factor in someone being able to defend themselves, or another person.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Sweet, Boulder is my hometown! This carries a little extra weight having been developed in CO and by a highschooler, Boulder is less than an hour away from Littleton where Columbine HS had that horrible massacre back in '99.

Sounds like a smart idea, but in practice in the real world it is less than ideal.

Where reaction time is the deciding factor in someone being able to defend themselves, or another person.

I agree, even a fraction of a second extra time to "activate" the firearm will probably keep this from being widely adopted for quite sometime; at least until the technology is super polished.

@dizmo and @nj4ck let the poor kid have his moment  :P yea you are probably right but its still cool that a 17 year old kid not only had the idea but is actually going to prototype it. I hope we end up buying his other random future tech in 20 years

Oh and @Fulgrim I am not sure its meant to be for law enforcement and those kinds of quick draw situations. It seems to be intended for home weapons and so on. Guns that are left unattended and meant to stop use by kids etc

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Oh and @Fulgrim I am not sure its meant to be for law enforcement and those kinds of quick draw situations. It seems to be intended for home weapons and so on. Guns that are left unattended and meant to stop use by kids etc

Even for a civilian to use it as self defense, keeping your guns in a secure gun safe/cabinet is plenty good enough. When it comes down to it, in a situation where you need to draw that firearm to defend yourself, that small time frame for the thing to scan your fingerprint and activate can and will be the defining factor on whether you will live or die.

If an armed robber/burglar breaks into your home/store, or confronts you in any kind of situation - they won't stand there for another ~2 to 3 seconds whilst your gun unlocks so you can fire back.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Very clever idea.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

@dizmo and @nj4ck let the poor kid have his moment  :P yea you are probably right but its still cool that a 17 year old kid not only had the idea but is actually going to prototype it. 

yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah I'm not saying its not awesome that he's prototyping it, that is in fact very awesome, what I'm saying is that its not actually his idea. The idea has been around for at least 10 years.

This is similar to the PPK that Bond uses in SKyfall. A statement not a killing machine

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

kid better be careful  - "Mossberg has trademarked the term "Smart gun" "

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

Hasn't this been a thing for quite a while?

I didn't think it was new.

It has been.

And with 3d printing now capable of printing an entire firearm (including the barrel) this is now pointless.

People will always find a way to kill people, the only thing you can do to keep yourself safe is prepare to defend yourself and those you love.

Even for a civilian to use it as self defense, keeping your guns in a secure gun safe/cabinet is plenty good enough. When it comes down to it, in a situation where you need to draw that firearm to defend yourself, that small time frame for the thing to scan your fingerprint and activate can and will be the defining factor on whether you will live or die.

If an armed robber/burglar breaks into your home/store, or confronts you in any kind of situation - they won't stand there for another ~2 to 3 seconds whilst your gun unlocks so you can fire back.

Indeed, the safest place you can keep your pistol, is on your hip, or under your pillow with the safety on, windows locked, door locked.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Indeed, the safest place you can keep your pistol, is on your hip, or under your pillow with the safety on, windows locked, door locked.

Never really understood the whole pillow thing. There must be more practical places to hide it within reach of there you sleep....What about a bed holster, like those on horses in western movies. Would look pretty damn cool too.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I feel bad for the kid. He's gonna get a ton of hate from people since he's public about his design. I don't mean hate in the form of people on the internet defaming and slandering him as keyboard warriors I mean legitimate threats on his life.

All  I can say is stay safe.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Yeah I think this was already a thing with guns with the fingerprint scanner built into them. maybe this kid did it a more effective way then anyone else but this isn't anything new with guns a scanners.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

@dizmo and @nj4ck let the poor kid have his moment  :P yea you are probably right but its still cool that a 17 year old kid not only had the idea but is actually going to prototype it. I hope we end up buying his other random future tech in 20 years

Only...it wasn't his idea. Wasn't this in Judge Dredd? I've also seen it in other movies as well.

I mean sure, cool he's actually making something out of it, but he can't take credit for the idea. That's just wrong.

Your argument is a little flawed my friend. Getting the gun out of the safe would be a lot slower than simply opening a drawer/reaching for its hiding place and unlocking it.

This is, of course, in countries that require them to be under lock and key.

Not only that, I highly doubt that it would take as long as 2-3 seconds to unlock. It'd be way faster than that, provided they're smart enough to make the entire area where the hand rests on the grip a sensor pad. Or at least a good portion.

It would unlock well before you'd even aimed the gun at the suspect. You're not aimed right at the baddie the second you touch the weapon. ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red