AMD announces a new PowerPack(tm) for system builders

LukaP

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8524/amds-power-pack-6-apus-in-a-box-for-system-builders

This is an old AMD campaign from athlon days, 6 processors in a box, with coolers, but no manuals and shit, so its cheaper, but not as cheap as tray, yet if they dont have to buy an after market cooler, it pays off.

So far, only 2 CPUs available, both richland (760k and the a8 6600k), but they will be going kaveri soon apparently

photo%203_678x452.jpg

What is the current AMD Power Pack all about?

We want to offer system builders some savings and encourage them to design systems around AMD products that might offer some better value than before. Secondary to this, noting how much waste goes on with PIB type bulk purchases, it offers a chance to cut down on waste and recycling as well. It offers that combination of PIB and Tray at a lower cost than PIB alone but with all the bundled extras, especially if we are running a promotion at the time.

IMO, if this means more sales for amd, and more revenue, you go man! we need amd to get back on its feet. (and pls, no amd/intel wars here, sort that out in PMs)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

those bigass boxes probably cost more than that little "book" they come with edit just realized its a 6 pack

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8524/amds-power-pack-6-apus-in-a-box-for-system-builders

This is an old AMD campaign from athlon days, 6 processors in a box, with coolers, but no manuals and shit, so its cheaper, but not as cheap as tray, yet if they dont have to buy an after market cooler, it pays off.

So far, only 2 CPUs available, both richland (760k and the a8 6600k), but they will be going kaveri soon apparently

IMO, if this means more sales for amd, and more revenue, you go man! we need amd to get back on its feet. (and pls, no amd/intel wars here, sort that out in PMs)

I'm cool with it.

I think this will be a good thing for AMD to claw back it's revenue. Thinking outside the box I'd say :)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.9 | MB: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: Vengeance RGB @ 3200 | HDD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb nVME M.2 | GPU: Powercolor 5700XT | CASE: Corsair Crystal X570 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 750W | CPU COOLING: Full Custom EKWB CPU Water Loop | OS: Windows 10 Pro

those bigass boxes probably cost more than that little "book" they come with

you have no idea how cheap they get the boxes for. also, this means 1 box instead of 6. 0 books instead of 6. it pays off to them and the system builders equally. we will see if this means cheaper prebuilts, or just more money to the builders

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Finally I can start work on my 6 CPU socket motherboard design

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

too bad they're not even better than LGA775 chips

they are... they are about on par with LGA1156 quad cores IPC wise. plus they have a iGPU, so a big plus. and most people really dont need more than that

nope, no interconnect in these, only opterons have that.

No AMD/Nvidia/Intel flame wars...

WTF is this shit you're selling @LukaP?

Here, it's REALLY easy to get one going. Just follow my lead.

AHEM!!!

AMDSucksBallz! WINTELMasterRace! BlueGreenTeamFTW!!!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No AMD/Nvidia/Intel flame wars...

WTF is this shit you're selling @LukaP?

Here, it's REALLY easy to get one going. Just follow my lead.

AHEM!!!

AMDSucksBallz! WINTELMasterRace! BlueGreenTeamFTW!!!

naaah. dat shit is cancer.

Damn. How much do those manuals cost? Give me them as .pdf or something.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

nope, no interconnect in these, only opterons have that.

I thought Phenoms did too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I thought Phenoms did too.

oh i dont know. ill check, but from the current lineup, im pretty sure only opterons do

this is fairly interesting, altough i doubt there is anything in it for consumers that build teir own systems, wich saddens/annoys me.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

pfft I'm waiting for the octo-socket motherboard. 

oh i dont know. ill check, but from the current lineup, im pretty sure only opterons do

I know Phenoms come with ECC, so I'd hope they be designed similarly to Xeons.

I know Phenoms come with ECC, so I'd hope they be designed similarly to Xeons.

thats just the memory controller having the ability to support ECC. they dont seem to have any sort of interconnect, nor was there ever an am2+ board with more than 1 socket afaik

thats just the memory controller having the ability to support ECC. they dont seem to have any sort of interconnect, nor was there ever an am2+ board with more than 1 socket afaik

Ok, fair enough. Poor AMD...

Ok, fair enough. Poor AMD...

hey, their opterons are great and "cheap" for folding ^^

they are... they are about on par with LGA1156 quad cores IPC wise. plus they have a iGPU, so a big plus. and most people really dont need more than that

A 760k has similar IPC to an Ivy chip?

Error: 410

hey, their opterons are great and "cheap" for folding ^^

Aren't they all on the ARM platform now?

A 760k has similar IPC to a Ivy chip?

Kaveri/the upcoming 860k is a decent match for SandyBridge.

A 760k has similar IPC to an Ivy chip?

1156 not 1155 ;)

Aren't they all on the ARM platform now?

naah, some are still CMT based