Robert Downey Jr. signs on for Assassin's Creed movie

Rafy

but Leonardo is much busier than RDJ (and I always thought of Leonardo first because....well...the first name matches lol)

RDJ hasn't had many other movies besides Avengers 3 because he's simply too expensive. There have been many movie projects/plans completely dropped or casting shifted purely because they couldn't agree with RDJ on cost. I believe RDJ sought out a few starring roles in new projects as well, but no studio have wanted to fund what he's asking for

but that said, he's a great actor and will definitely pull it off well imo. And with such a beloved face behind the character, how much he cost, and how he plays into the role of the Ezio AC series - I think they are really hitting the right notes on this movie adaptation. Leonardo was a MAJOR role in the AC story as a whole (mostly 2). You don't hire someone as expensive as RDJ to play a forgettable, cast-away side character - so they have definitely written him to be a crucial role in the story as it should be imo.

can't wait - this is really shaping up to be a good movie; and I really think the AC series has a strong enough story, just under appreciated by it's dissonance from the core gameplay

That's because in your head you have typecast him as a glamarous guy in a fancy suit, looking slick and delivering witty dialog.

But that's not how it's gonna be.

They will change his look, hair, attire... everything. And he will act differently  in terms of how he delivers his lines. We assume it can't be done because we haven't seen him doing it and it doesn't fit our mental image of Robert Downey Jr.

Before we know it the movie is taking place in space with talking dinosaurs as the villains.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't think you understand how expensive RDJ is

Forbes Top 10:

Robert Downey — $75 million

Dwayne Johnson — $52 million

Bradley Cooper — $46 million

Leonardo DiCaprio — $39 million

Chris Hemsworth — $37 million

Liam Neeson — $36 million

Ben Affleck — $35 million

Christian Bale — $35 million

Will Smith — $32 million

Mark Wahlberg — $32 million

Time Magazine Earnings of Top Male Actors:

RDJ - $75 million

Channing Tatum ($60 million)

Hugh Jackman ($55 million)

Mark Wahlberg ($52 million)

Dwayne Johnson ($46 million)

Leonardo DiCaprio ($39 million)

Adam Sandler ($37 million)

Tom Cruise ($35 million)

Denzel Washington ($33 million)

Liam Neeson ($32 million)

Since when has a video game adaptation been worth MANY MILLIONS to spend on just an actor? This is definitely a motion of confidence in this movie

Somehow I don't think that they'll pay him $75 million for a bit part in the movie.

more than half the posts in this thread ignore the fact he is known to be playing Leonardo da Vinci.

He would make a great leo imho.

Robert downey jr. is among Matt damon and Johnny Depp in the 'relatively good human beings' celebrity camp, and as such I imagine this was less about money and more about interest in the actual role, which means this movie is shaping up well.

Ubisoft, please don't fuck this up

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

For anyone looking for more insight, AMC Theatres runs a DAILY (yes daily) movie talk show on their youtube channel. All of the hosts/guests are very well versed in the movie business industry (key word, as a whole - not just movie reviews)

This will be discussed today without a doubt. Go check them out - really a fun channel to listen to and still find it staggering they manage a show every single day of the week

Holly balls I'll see the crap out of this movie when it came out. I'm a huge fan of RDJ and a even bigger fan of Assassin's Creed. Look at this custom case I got made to see why

VLlGRQN.jpg

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

This could either be an amazing movie or a complete flop, I'd honestly prefer less big names, but I'll wait to pass judgement. I like Downey Jr as an actor, he was great in Sherlock .

Meanwhile me: Who are these people?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Somehow I don't think that they'll pay him $75 million for a bit part in the movie.

It's called a reference. I'm sorry but you can't be that... ya know.

iMac 27in. @ 4.3GHz l 32GB Ram l 512GB Flash l GTX 780M 

Mac Pro @ 3.5GHz 6 Core l 64GB Ram l 512GB PCIe Flash l Dual AMD FirePro D700

I foresee a summer blockbuster flop is the making. This flop might rival The 13th Warrior.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

The movie is set during The Spanish Inquisition... That much we already know. So unless Leonardo Da Vinci could somehow be worked into that kind of story, then fair enough... otherwise this rumour is bullshit.

I'd much rather see DiCaprio in that role

or any role.

he's just a better actor.

Leo is the best actor in hollywood but hes short-and they want to actually win an Oscar for this movie-

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Leo is the best actor in hollywood but hes short-and they want to actually win an Oscar for this movie-

I see what you did there >.>

Curious to see how it'll turn out. Fassbender was originally supposed to be playing Altair, I think, and Leonardo appears much later -shrug-

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Why does the academy hate Leonardo?

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Why does the academy hate Leonardo?

Well, to be perfectly honest, he has very few roles that are unique. In recent movies, it's not very difficult to see a style in his performance, whether it be dialogue or portrayals of a character. 

That's in contrast to someone like Heath Ledger or Daniel Day-Lewis, or Johnny Depp. These actors become their roles, and it's hard to find something in common between them. For instance, you wouldn't know Heath Ledger was playing the Joker after watching him in A Knight's Tale, or if you've watched an interview of him, until you saw the end credits. 

That probably factors into the decision. I'm not saying he's a bad actor though. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

samuel l jackson would have been a far better choice  :P  

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

samuel l jackson would have been a far better choice  :P  

I have HAD it with these muthafuckin' assassins in my muthafuckin' workshop!

You kiddies complaining about his alleged role need to shut up, seriously.

The man is a great actor.

I don't think you understand how expensive RDJ is

Forbes Top 10:

Robert Downey — $75 million

Dwayne Johnson — $52 million

Bradley Cooper — $46 million

Leonardo DiCaprio — $39 million

Chris Hemsworth — $37 million

Liam Neeson — $36 million

Ben Affleck — $35 million

Christian Bale — $35 million

Will Smith — $32 million

Mark Wahlberg — $32 million

Time Magazine Earnings of Top Male Actors:

RDJ - $75 million

Channing Tatum ($60 million)

Hugh Jackman ($55 million)

Mark Wahlberg ($52 million)

Dwayne Johnson ($46 million)

Leonardo DiCaprio ($39 million)

Adam Sandler ($37 million)

Tom Cruise ($35 million)

Denzel Washington ($33 million)

Liam Neeson ($32 million)

Since when has a video game adaptation been worth MANY MILLIONS to spend on just an actor? This is definitely a motion of confidence in this movie

Where is Johnny Depp? I thought he was the most expensive guy on Hollywood.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Where is Johnny Depp? I thought he was the most expensive guy on Hollywood.

not even close - Depp hasn't had ANYTHING successful besides Pirates for years. Transcendence completely BOMBED

Iron Man 4 hasn't even been confirmed or reported to be worked on because RDJ is just so expensive - Marvel is actually considering retiring him for the new set of Avengers

He should only play iron man. I'd be like hey what's Tony Stark doin' in this movie/era!?  :D

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

not even close - Depp hasn't had ANYTHING successful besides Pirates for years. Transcendence completely BOMBED

Iron Man 4 hasn't even been confirmed or reported to be worked on because RDJ is just so expensive - Marvel is actually considering retiring him for the new set of Avengers

Wow, who's gonna be iron man then? Cuba Gooding Jr.?

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Wow, who's gonna be iron man then? Cuba Gooding Jr.?

in the comic books, "The Avengers" are rotated - so the next trilogy of The Avengers is a new set of heroes

the cinematic universe doesn't have to follow the comic books, but the option is on the table still - and a chance to move away from Iron Man/RDJ is a side benefit obviously