Destiny makes $500 million in first 24 hours

Rafy

Company releases game, Internet get enraged.

Welcome to LTT Community.  Look at what you all have done to it.

It really makes me think whether things would have turned out differently had reviews come out a day before release.

Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/activision-sells-in-more-than-500-million-of-destiny-worldwide-as-of-day-one-2014-09-10?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Shipped means shipped, not sold. This is also not profits. I saw Destiny ad's non stop all over football games with a Led Zeppelin song in the commercial. That couldn't have been cheap. As far as the game? How did the console community like Borderlands, because that is all this game is. It is a game you either like or hate. Personally I am not a fan.

I would play Borderlands over Destiny though, because it has more content, better characters, is cheaper and isn't paired with a garbage control system on a console. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I got it the other day. It's pretty a pretty darn good game. Doesn't surprise me that it made so much on day 1.

Good to see that Bungie and Activision were able to break even in such a short time span.

COMIC SANS

I got it the other day. It's pretty a pretty darn good game. Doesn't surprise me that it made so much on day 1.

Good to see that Bungie and Activision were able to break even in such a short time span.

Same. 

Clearly enough people loved it that it has such mass media attention. But maybe some people here hate that their gaming is going so mainstream with games like this that are made for the AVERAGE joe first, and hardcore nut job like us second. Personally, Destiny is a nice change of pace, and the gun play makes Borderlands look really bad. 

glad your enjoying it, problem I se with it is the lack of content And some choices for certain things.

They broke even only if you consider advertising costs ;)

They broke even only if you consider advertising costs ;)

I thought Bungie was getting $500 million over the span of ten years from Activision for Destiny...?

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

It's like borderlands 2 reskin 

I've only heard that from people who haven't played it, everyone who has played Destiny says it feels like Halo and plays more awesome. Those same people hate Borderlands with a passion.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I thought Bungie was getting $500 million over the span of ten years from Activision for Destiny...?

Whoops, I mixed up my numbers. TopWargamer was right.

I've only heard that from people who haven't played it, everyone who has played Destiny says it feels like Halo and plays more awesome. Those same people hate Borderlands with a passion.

I agree, it's more Halo then it is Borderlands. Even down to the pvp maps.

The main reason for that mistake would probably be the numbers that pop up when things get shot, and Broderlands is the only game they can identify with.

Oh, and the FPS

Oh, and the gun/loots drops

Oh, and play w/friends thing

Oh, and the bullet sponge enemies

Oh, and... is that it? I think that's it.

The main reason for that mistake would probably be the numbers that pop up when things get shot, and Broderlands is the only game they can identify with.

Oh, and the FPS

Oh, and the gun/loots drops

Oh, and play w/friends thing

Oh, and the bullet sponge enemies

Oh, and... is that it? I think that's it.

Minus the FPS and bullets Diablo had all of that, unless bolts count.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Minus the FPS and bullets Diablo had all of that, unless bolts count.

Exactly my point. It's not an "unfair comparison" as long you're being rational, anyone can compare anything as long as what is compared is the basic commonalities between the two. So now we can say, say:

Halo + Diablo = Destiny

Fair? :)

no just no, its not even third person, i'm sorry but if your going to reply about this at least have some sense of what it is, i don't blame you if you give a damn about the game but at least don't comment if you don't know what your talking about

You're right, sorry. Haven't looked at it in a while and I mixed it up with something else, my bad.

Ahahaha, my sides, the anger in this thread is beautiful. Seems like PC peasants are mad they can't play the game, so will just pretend it's bad, and pretend they didn't want it to begin with.

$500M in the first 24 hours? "C-CONSOLES ARE D-DYING", they said...

Ahahaha, my sides, the anger in this thread is beautiful. Seems like PC peasants are mad they can't play the game, so will just pretend it's bad, and pretend they didn't want it to begin with.

lol, well tbh some of them are right, it is abit over hyped, I've been nagging about the lack of content based on how the game is presented to us.

in a nutshell is an FPS with some diablo and bordelands mechanics, and a bit of MMO but very little

There's nothing massive about it.

You are literally having random encounters as system throws random players into your instance.

I still consider GTAV to be bad unless PC port proves otherwise(with good mod support).

You see, if this game was developed for PC; we would have actuall MMOfps element such as 20-40 player raids on giant bosses that actually has variation in attacks.

There would be actual open-world(instead of instances) where almost any number of players can meet up.

You know...kind of like what we already have on PC.

Spoiler: Destiny bosses are pretty much all the same up to the final boss in story.

Instead...it's dumbed down to Halo level for consoles; like Battlefield series.

Consoles are not dying(that's kind of the biggest problem with gaming industry); intelligence of the masses, however, are.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I believe is game sets a very bad precedent or revisit a very bad practice. By not allowing critics enough time for critique, prior to the game's release. Also not releasing a PC version leads me to believe. The game has a lots of flaws. The way this game was released and hype out of control is very bad for the video game consumer.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

I liked what I saw in the trailers and read about it but not on a PC sorry not getting it for a shit console.

Yeah, it is totally unbelievable we not like a game that is very much like Borderlands, when many of us don't even like Borderlands. I would rather watch paint dry then play Borderlands. Borderlands and Destiny are like an MMO, without the MASSIVE, and just boring, repetitive crappy quests. Destiny/Borderlands  to me is like questing in WoW or running beginner dungeons over and over again. No thanks. The endgame of a MMO can be fun. The end game of Destiny is a joke. I could give a damn about loot when the pve content is not super challenging anyways, and the last thing I want on a shooter is a gear edge. The PVE combat is stupidly easy, the "boss fights" or events are dumbed down and laughable, and any FPS PvP played on a console controller is pointless anyways. I don't play golf with a baseball bat, and I don't play FPS games with a console controller.  

Add to that shipped is not sold. Shipped is shipped. 

Best part about Destiny. A half ass "town" where you can do this. COD Ghosts was the best selling console game before this. Know what that means? Nothing. It doesn't make the game good. It means marketing, paid off reviews, and astroturfing can sell crap and mediocre, repetitive games. Destiny might not be "crap", but it is hardly a mind blowing, original game and I have zero interest in it after playing beta. MANY people thought it was boring, including "console gamers". Titanfall also sold a boatload of initial copies, laughable reviews like IGN lauded it (and seeing the INSANE high score they gave COD Ghosts you can bet on a high score for Destiny) and that game is already dead. Why? Because it wasn't that good.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Borderlands

Post disregarded. It's nothing like Borderlands. Oh, it has randomly generated loot? I guess that means Destiny is a Diablo clone too, then?

PC plebs whining when they don't get a game is beautiful. These tears taste so, so good.

Post disregarded. It's nothing like Borderlands. Oh, it has randomly generated loot? I guess that means Destiny is a Diablo clone too, then?

PC plebs whining when they don't get a game is beautiful. These tears taste so, so good.

I find it laughable that people keep trying to differentiate this game from Borderlands. Probably because Borderlands wasn't a MEGA HIT on consoles, that this game needs to be to pay back the development costs, advertising and BS raving reviews this game will get like COD Ghosts did. This game is already getting 6 and 7's from some of the smaller outlets. 

This (video below) is Borderlands. Same damn thing. Loot differentiations and a graphic style doesn't make it different.  Also I LOVE that you actually think that PC gamers can't afford a console or don't have at least 1 friend that were in this beta. Many of us played this game and or have a console. Add to that this game is on older consoles so it has NOTHING to do with "next gen", or consoles becoming less popular in the future. The funny thing? If you check the comments section of the big console sites, people are bored out of their mind with this game (and some sites are deleting their comments) , just like they were with Border Lands. This game would have done gangbusters on the PC, but the console crowd has different tastes. I just like more of a pve challenge, and FPS PvP on a console controllers is simply garbage imo.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/16132-first-destiny-review-score-610-repetitive-uninspired-story-no-memorable.html

"Bungie has already issued a warning that not to believe day one reviews of Destiny as they might not tell the entire story, and added that Destiny is "Share-World" first person shooter and the best way to experience it is when Destiny's universe is fully populated, with many players roaming about."

Yeah too bad the "many players" happens in town, which is just a place to show off your armor in a small area. It will take buying tons of DLC to be the "coolest" kid sitting by the mailbox in Orgrimmar *cough* the Tower.  ATM this game is gear dependant mediocre PvP (and it does NOT happen out in the world, it happens in a box), with little PVE content and is a Borderlands clone in that regard without years of DLC, that gets old really quick. The funny thing is MANY PC Gamers have a PS3/Xbox 360 they could play this on, and you act as if we have never seen a console. There is zero reason to buy a "next gen" console since the game still looks mediocre and the frame rate is locked at 30 FPS. There is no reason to buy this game over Borderlands if you like that game and definitely no reason to buy a next gen console for it. As far as player vs player it is gear dependant (stupid in a FPS), and average at best. This game is not going to be cared about competitively whatsoever, so what is the point of grinding the same small content over and over to get a gear edge against a 10 year old?  

I find it laughable that people keep trying to differentiate this game from Borderlands. Probably because Borderlands wasn't a MEGA HIT on consoles, that this game needs to be to pay back the development costs, advertising and BS raving reviews this game will get like COD Ghosts did. This game is already getting 6 and 7's from some of the smaller outlets. 

This (video below) is Borderlands. Same damn thing. Loot differentiations and a graphic style doesn't make it different.  Also I LOVE that you actually think that PC gamers can't afford a console or don't have at least 1 friend that were in this beta. Many of us played this game and or have a console. Add to that this game is on older consoles so it has NOTHING to do with "next gen", or consoles becoming less popular in the future. The funny thing? If you check the comments section of the big sites, people are bored out of their mind with this game, just like they were with Border Lands. This game would have done gangbusters on the PC, but the console crowd has different tastes. I just like more of a pve challenge, and FPS PvP on a console controllers is simply garbage imo.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/16132-first-destiny-review-score-610-repetitive-uninspired-story-no-memorable.html

"Bungie has already issued a warning that not to believe day one reviews of Destiny as they might not tell the entire story, and added that Destiny is "Share-World" first person shooter and the best way to experience it is when Destiny's universe is fully populated, with many players roaming about."

Yeah too bad the "many players" happens in town, which is just a place to show off your armor in a small area. It will take buying tons of DLC to be the "coolest" kid sitting by the mailbox in Orgrimmar *cough* the Tower.  ATM this game is gear dependant mediocre PvP (and it does NOT happen out in the world, it happens in a box), with little content and a Borderlands clone in that regard without years of DLC, that gets old really quick. The funny thing is MANY PC Gamers have a PS3/Xbox 360 they could play this on, and you act as if we have never seen a console. There is zero reason to buy a "next gen" console since the game still looks mediocre and the frame rate is locked at 30 FPS. 

Who even mentioned next-gen consoles?

Who even mentioned Call of Duty: Ghosts?

What are you even on about at this point?

God this community can be terrible sometimes.

Who even mentioned next-gen consoles?

Who even mentioned Call of Duty: Ghosts?

What are you even on about at this point?

God this community can be terrible sometimes.

1) you are trolling this forum which is primarily a PC forum, and that makes you either an imbecile or a salesmen promoting a product which will probably come to PC anyways, since the playerbase would like this game more than console gamers..

2) You used SHIPPED numbers to present an argument, when that has nothing to do with low level API's coming, the VALUE of a x86 "next gen console" being DESTROYED in the next few years. Shipped means that retail outlets are banking on the game. This does NOT guarantee the game as a giant success. Retailers also banked on E.T. on Atari. No I do not think DEstiny will be that much of a failure, but I don't think it will be the hit you are trying to sell.  The entire argument you make about consoles not dying is nullified by this game being limited to 30 FPS (due to last gen) and present on last gen. This game was NOT made for next gen and Activision did NOT bank their money on "next gen". They are selling a game to a well installed player base on 4 consoles, and the big sales will most likely be on the older ones. 

3) COD Ghosts is published from the same company, Activision. 

4) You keep representing this game as something more than it is. The only "massive multiplayer" happens in a small town (tower), which is basically just a glorified lobby, where u stand around. Other than that it is Borderlands grinding with a limited SMALL amount of content that can be cleared in hours, that many people find boring (voice acting is mediocre and the story blows), and PvP based on that grinding, rather than skill and the PvP is NOT massive nor does it take place in a "persistant world". The PvP is nothing that hasn't been seen in many FPS game and is SMALLER in scope then many of those. Planetside 2 is MASSIVE PvP. This is nothing like that. This is Halo like PvP but worse, that requires you to grind boring, limited content to compete with other people doing the same. 

Keep selling fairy tales about this game. The only thing similar to Halo is the small pvp matches (number of players and types), which is frankly pathetic this day in age, unless it is a ultra competitive small scale E-sport shooter like CS. Other than that, it is a small content borderlands at a complete rip off of a price for the content present, with a lobby where you can see the character you play and others. Oh I am sure DLC will fix the "content", and we will see 100 of them, just like Borderlands. This is not on Steam however and the costs will be asinine compared to what is basically the same game. PvP? Play another game for that. Many are free and MUCH better, from small scale, like CS, to large scale like Planetside 2. Both free. Both far superior for player vs player. 

Also the elephant in the room. This game will most likely require you to purchase ongoing constant DLC which will most likely have have upgrades to weapons/armor, to remain competitive. This in addition to an idiotic monthly fee to MS/Sony, which has no reason to exist, other than to fleece console gamers. No thanks. 

Lord

I don't see whats so appealing about this game

You ever play halo? It's like halo, and people miss Halo. It's selling purely based on nostalgia. That's my speculation at least.