Facebook UK now has 71 different gender options

LAwLz

0_0, Why not just make it male,female and a textbox in which you can put whatever the heck you think you classify as.

I'm sure it would be better than making large meaning lists of genders that are legitimately the same frigging thing.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

There are only two "sexes", but there are multiple genders.

Sex -> What you are biologically. This is binary, either male or female.

Gender -> What you identify as. This can basically be whatever you want, as seen above.

It's amazing what people make up nowadays.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I know, that's why I said "maybe 5" instead of "2" and why I posted this:

Some of them are not valid genders either. Asexual is a sexual orientation, not a gender.

right... this is just absurd. i guess my gender from now on is "apolitical"

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Soo.... Mental conditions count as gender too?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I go by what is inbetween my legs. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

It must be a pain in the fucking ass for these people to find right bathroom in the UK.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

There is accommodating and then there is hardcore unabashed in your face politically correct pandering. Try to guess which one this falls under. Accommodating?

This is completely discriminating when you think about it. Those who are trans who went from male to female, female to male wish to be called "he" or "she" to feel like the gender they transitioned to. This only adds emphasis on differences and if anything, is DISRESPECTFUL to them, NOT helpful in any way. Because you're one of them, right? So you would know? Not all of those are even genders, it's even more shameful pandering that does more harm than good..asexual a "gender"..come on UK, you're not allowed to make fun of Murica if you're doing stuff like this. 

A better option would be just select what your chromosomes are. Then there's no bullshit. That's sex, not gender.

How dare you be "normal". You asshole. Feel ashamed, now! There's nothing wrong with being cis, just like there's nothing wrong with not being cis. Nobody denies that. You can't change your gender identity.

Just remove the gender category for fucks sake. Just have a category saying "PENIS?" Followed by a yes or no. That's sex, not gender.

This shit is retarded. I hate my generation. We hate you too.

Sexual orientation =/= gender

I can think of three, maybe four options to be truly fair to everyone. Right, because you are the grand arbiter of all things who declares three, maybe four options will account for all seven billion beings on the planet.

It probably has to do with advertisers. If you were allowed to put in whatever you want it would be harder to do targeted ads, so they have to put you in some group. I'd hate to be the poor sucker who has to SEO for 71 different gender types though, I must say.

There are. There are two sexes, not two genders.

i believe in two different genders solely  ;) Well then, this change isn't for you, is it?

People have just become so fucking obsessed with wanting to be "unique", "special", and "different". It's extreme narcissism. What's extreme narcissism is you expecting everyone else to be just like you and not unique, special, or different.

Soo.... Mental conditions count as gender too? No, actually I didn't see any mental conditions on there.

I go by what is inbetween my legs. That's sex, not gender.

The @Builder's opinion: Facebook, please just put in a text box. You can't define all of humanity with 71 different gender types. It's like trying to describe a flavor using words. Everyone uses different words, so please let them instead of putting in 71 different gender types that spawn ridiculous conversations like this about why you shouldn't have. 

If they replaced the gender selection drop down with a text box, this thread and all the hatred associated with it wouldn't exist. End of story.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Two* person
Two-spirit person

Sounds like split personality to me.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Is musician going to be a gender in the future. 'Cause that'd be a little odd...

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

I feel like the easiest solution would just be change the word "gender" to "sex", and make the options just Male/Female. To accommodate people of other genders, put in a Gender setting with an open text box, so people can type in whatever defines their own personal lifestyle..

Even with 71 different options, there's still going to be someone who feels like they're not being accommodated for and that Facebook would need to add even more options..

Also: putting an open text box in for gender would finally allow me to change my gender to "Canadian", which would really help me feel better about this uncontrollable urge I get to apologize to everybody.

sorry

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

where the fucks stallion?? >:C

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I feel like the easiest solution would just be change the word "gender" to "sex", and make the options just Male/Female. To accommodate people of other genders, put in a Gender setting with an open text box, so people can type in whatever defines their own personal lifestyle.

Exactly. And as I said before, this topic and the nastiness that came with it wouldn't even have happened. Period.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I guess they're all gender identities but wow that's a lot of options...

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Exactly. And as I said before, this topic and the nastiness that came with it wouldn't even have happened. Period.

Since you've made it very clear what gender isn't. Please define the word "gender". Yes, I looked at the dictionary definition but I want to hear it from you because as far as I can tell "gender" is nothing more than "my personal label".

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Since you've made it very clear what gender isn't. Please define the word "gender". Yes, I looked at the dictionary definition but I want to hear it from you because as far as I can tell "gender" is nothing more than "my personal label".

Gender is what you define yourself to be, how you self identify.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The @Builder's opinion: Facebook, please just put in a text box. You can't define all of humanity with 71 different gender types. It's like trying to describe a flavor using words. Everyone uses different words, so please let them instead of putting in 71 different gender types that spawn ridiculous conversations like this about why you shouldn't have. 

If they replaced the gender selection drop down with a text box, this thread and all the hatred associated with it wouldn't exist. End of story.

That's actually brilliant.

That's actually brilliant.

I'M actually brilliant.

*drops the mic*

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'M actually brilliant.

*drops the mic*

I was thinking instead of having text they could just have ASCII stuff like:

Circle one!

A. 8=D

B. ()

C. () & 8=D

D. None of the above.

I was thinking instead of having text they could just have ASCII stuff like:

Circle one!

A. 8=D

B. ()

C. () & 8=D

D. None of the above.

Why limit yourself though? There's no reason Facebook even needs to know your gender, aside from their precious advertising revenue. Which is why they have a drop down and not a text box.

They don't really care about this issue, that's why they attack it in the way that has the least financial impact for them. Honestly I think that targeted ads shouldn't be focused on gender, because people are different and like different things. Not all women like lipstick, it doesn't make them trans, some just don't like it. Not all men like power tools. Targeted ads should focus on what you like, (if they have to exist at all), not what people of your age, gender, or race/ethnicity tend to like.

If they really cared about people who don't self-identify as one of the two poles on the spectrum, they would put in a text box. But they don't, so they won't.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

why is woman a new option?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

I know, that's why I said "maybe 5" instead of "2" and why I posted this:

Some of them are not valid genders either. Asexual is a sexual orientation, not a gender.

I don't think a person can be Asexual, it has to like something or someone.

I think if it was a text box it would be much better than having 71 options, but i don't use facebook that much anyway.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I don't think a person can be Asexual, it has to like something or someone.

The correct pronoun for someone of indeterminate gender is "they," not it. It describes a hermaphrodite most of the time, but some people choose other pronouns.

Also I'm asexual. Disproven.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Or they could just take the box away, gender isn't a box they need to know. It's Facebook not your birth certificate.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

And I thought male, female, and transgender were enough.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2