Dyson Releases the Eye, a Robot Vacuum

After a search, nothing came up about this new robot vacuum cleaner;

Source

Dyson Releases the Eye, a Robot Vacuum With a 360-Degree Camera

After 16 years of tinkering and experimentation, Dyson is releasing its first robotic vacuum cleaner, the Dyson 360 Eye. Though iRobot released Roomba, the first autonomous sucking machine, in 2002, Dyson has been content to lay back, in hopes of ironing out some nagging limitations. “We didn’t want to put out a gimmick,” Sir James tells WIRED. He says that meant inventing a new way for the vacuum to navigate. “Accurate navigation is the key to cleaning properly,” says Dyson. “I don’t just mean in coverage, but in terms of not going over the same spot twice, because if you do that you’re wasting the battery’s power.” Put differently: Dyson didn’t want to release just any robotic vacuum cleaner. He wanted one that could do the chore as well as its human counterparts.

If any of you recall, they tried releasing a robot vacuum cleaner  years ago in 2001, they pulled it because of cost and it wasn't as efficient as they wanted it to be, which was a good call.  This new way of mapping out the room before vacuuming is pretty smart tech and very interesting and the tech itself has implications for other uses, but honestly, I just can't see buying a robot vac to replace my water filter vac, 1.  it'll never do as good a job as manual labor(unless you just suck to begin with) and from experience, vacuums that use bag and bagless air fitlers never clean anywhere near as good as the water filter vaccum i've got now. 

Rock On!

I don't really understand these. Is it that much effort to just vacuum manually? 

The only good use I can think of these types of robot vacuum cleaners. 

It's called I'm lazy and hate chores!

I am really not a robot fan, but I will make an exception for a robot that cleans. Take my money!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

How lazy do you have to be to buy a robot vacuum cleaner? It literally takes 15 minutes to push the damn think around.

Yeah if you live in a shittly one room apartment

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah if you live in a shittly one room apartment

No...that would take 3 minutes :P

Just a word of warning, Dyson doesn't make that good of products(cheap parts, design flaws, etc.).

I highly recommend that anyone who is interested in purchasing a vacuum to read this Reddit AMA from a Vacuum Repair Technician: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd

He/She goes over in detail in some of the questions about why X brand is bad and Y brand is good.

Let's just say he/she has to deal with Dyson vacuum a lot more than others...

How lazy do you have to be to buy a robot vacuum cleaner? It literally takes 15 minutes to push the damn think around.

I would consider one. It could vacuum every day while I am at work. Clean place and I dont have to do it.

But yeah, I am that lazy :D

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

This is the main reason robot cleaners exist:

sign17.jpg

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Hey guys,

So Dyson has released their new robot vacuum cleaner.

The Dyson 360 Eye, announced at IFA, will be available in Japan first before a wider international release and will cost 130,000 Yen -- roughly $1,250, £750, and AU$1,320. It weighs 5.2 pounds (2.4kg), holds 0.4 liters of debris, auto-docks, and has a lithium-ion battery that claims to last for 20 minutes. 

Assisted by a set of infra-red sensors, the 360-degree camera snaps 30 frames per second to create a detailed floor plan of an entire room at once. This not only allows the vacuum to plan the most efficient cleaning route to maximize its half-hour battery, it also lets the bot know its exact position at all times to within just a few millimeters so it won't waste time going over the same area twice.

(I find that few millimeters claim to be very optimistic and dubious, but we will see.)

Like the Roomba, you'll be able to remote-control Dyson's 5.22-pound robot vacuum via an app. It will also let you start a cleaning cycle from wherever you are and set cleaning schedules.

Absolutely HUGE pictures:

360eye_NKBL_08A4_W_19601883.jpg

360eye_NKBL_06A4_W.jpg360eye_NKBL_05A3_W_19602497.jpg

360eye_NKBL_11A4_CMYK.jpg

_77360907_eb48640c-dede-4bb8-9cd8-e61382

And finally, a comparison between this and a Roomba (I think).

dysoncleqan.jpg

Very interesting. the high price is expected, but this thing actually sucks, not sweeps.

Sources:

http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2014/09/04/dyson-debuts-first-robot-vacuum-cleaner-the-eye-360/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/04/dyson-robot-vacuum/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2743185/Dyson-launches-world-s-smart-robot-vacuum-live-cameras-map-house-puts-away.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29055181

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/4/6104855/dyson-finally-announces-a-robot-vacuum-cleaner

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/dyson-releases-the-eye-a-robot-vacuum-with-a-360-degree-camera/

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

you'll be able to remote-control Dyson's 5.22-pound robot vacuum via an app

If I ever meet someone who likes to spend time controlling their vacuum cleaner via an application I'm going to fucking disown them.

I'm sticking with good old Henry, he sucks my filth with both power and reliability. :)

eb0232eb1600c96f6b189979a790913d.png

*Infoinfoinfo* *BREATH* *infoinfoinfo* *BREATH*infoinfoinfo* *BREATH*

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Was expecting it to cost more like $5k its pretty decent price i think. (not that id ever spend that much on a vacuum unless i was loaded lol)

That does look pretty cool. I love it's little caterpillar tracks! Shame it costs so much though, you could buy a few proper Dyson vacs for that price!

Well this is seriously well designed. Good old Dyson...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Dyson is like the Apple of vacuum cleaners.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

reports right back to the NSA for your own safety and security :P

Next model to include microphones for the detection and persecution of thought crime!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You underestimate lazy people.

The only reason why I would buy a robot vacuum cleaner is to scare the shit out of my cat.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.