Nintendo Introduces Dual Analog (for ants) stick New 3DS/XL - Japan exclusive (possibly for now)

GoodBytes

"he gray button that looks larger then the other"

It doesn't look any larger to me.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Nintendo really sucks at marketing new platforms and coming up with good names, don't they? 

I thought a new 3DS would come (Since the announcement of Amiibo) and for the most part the additions are fine (Head tracking 3D, extra buttons, circle nub) but the added CPU power and exclusive game has thrown me. If a game is being ported then it should work on the current systems with perhaps some minor improvements if you use the new system.

I'm actually looking forward to see how they plan to sell it (Xenoblade) personally, they have to play this carefully to avoid angry customers who buy the game only to find it doesn't play on their 3DS. It boggles my mind that it would be exclusive or apparently down right not play on older editions. 

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Saying this without actually seeing the internals is just making guesses, and either way, even if that can be done, the thing is already twice the price it needs to be.

You can see the internals on ifixit, twice the price it needs to be? I mean its not exactly expensive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

...but the added CPU power and exclusive game has thrown me. If a game is being ported then it should work on the current systems with perhaps some minor improvements if you use the new system.

I'm actually looking forward to see how they plan to sell it (Xenoblade) personally, they have to play this carefully to avoid angry customers who buy the game only to find it doesn't play on their 3DS. It boggles my mind that it would be exclusive or apparently down right not play on older editions.

This. All my this. This was just a really dumb move imo. If they wanted to improve it, they should've made a whole new handheld if that's going to require new proprietary games.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Guys, guess what? 

The new games that will be released for this 3DS will only work with this 3DS. It won't work with the current, older, 3DS'. Let alone the original DS. 

Why Nintendo? Just why? 

If MS or Sony pulled this, the internet would revolt. 

But cause its Nintendo who make games you used to play 15 years ago as a 4 year old, they get a pass.

Fuck that. 

When Sony and MS make a new console, they are very damn explicit in saying which back-compat there will be, if any. They don't make it ambigious. 

Nintendo is the worst at getting that message out. People will think its just a new 3DS, consumers will get some confusion when they buy new games that say "FOR 3DS" but not for the new 3DS, but the new new 3DS. 

FFS Nintendo. 

So if I have meat slab hands I'm going to struggle to use it, considering it's size and location, but Otherwise it's fine to use. I like the idea, and I think it's probably one of the few things the 3DS really needed to improve it, but the implementation isn't the best. A full size analog stick and lowering the ABXY buttons would have made a great deal more sense IMO.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

you mean analog, right?

analogue is a bit different

In American English, yes. Not elsewhere however.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I see some people freaking out about this because they think it's Nintendo's Next Gen handheld, more so on Facebook. It's simply a re-design of the 3DS. I have a feeling that the smaller control stick isn't going to be prominent in games and has some sort of other function as A) It will be hard to use and B) Original 3DS/3DS XL users do not have it. Hopefully it will benefit from the speed boost, and I like the new graphic system. Also apparently the 3D has been fixed, time will tell.

I see some people freaking out about this because they think it's Nintendo's Next Gen handheld, more so on Facebook. It's simply a re-design of the 3DS. I have a feeling that the smaller control stick isn't going to be prominent in games and has some sort of other function as A) It will be hard to use and B) Original 3DS/3DS XL users do not have it. Hopefully it will benefit from the speed boost, and I like the new graphic system. Also apparently the 3D has been fixed, time will tell.

I think the game performance won't really show, much like the DSi over the DS, as the CPU will be occupied with the head-tracking for the 3D.

Update:

From Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/nintendo-just-announced-a-new-3ds-1628389333)

Note: "3DS LL" is known here as "3DS XL"

Thanks to @skywake and @HellaflushMcSwaggins for the updates

I wanted to make a post about it as soon as I saw it on Jalopnik in the top left corner and it redirected me to Kotaku and when I came on the forum I saw your post:)

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

You can see the internals on ifixit, twice the price it needs to be? I mean its not exactly expensive

I mean for the new one. For the old one though, I don't see a way they could have shrunken it enough. Maybe it could have been done for the XL, but there wasn't a huge incentive to do that.

And for what it is, it's not at a mass-market price. For the record, a phone with similar internal hardware would be around $50, if that.

I mean for the new one. For the old one though, I don't see a way they could have shrunken it enough. Maybe it could have been done for the XL, but there wasn't a huge incentive to do that.

And for what it is, it's not at a mass-market price. For the record, a phone with similar internal hardware would be around $50, if that.

well....yeah

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No it would just cost too much in developing new boards and internal chassis to shrink the internals

Then thats a whole new product and they would launch it was such as in the successor to the 3DS platform. this is just another slight variant on what already available.

So if I have meat slab hands I'm going to struggle to use it, considering it's size and location, but Otherwise it's fine to use. I like the idea, and I think it's probably one of the few things the 3DS really needed to improve it, but the implementation isn't the best. A full size analog stick and lowering the ABXY buttons would have made a great deal more sense IMO.

For which games though as I said before. This is not a new system so nothing would be designed around it. Since almost all games wouldnt use it that placement of the stick would be worse in general for the current generation.

This. All my this. This was just a really dumb move imo. If they wanted to improve it, they should've made a whole new handheld if that's going to require new proprietary games.

they have always done this sort of thing if you look back. And yes this is specifically aimed at japan they even mention monster hunter which a mmo esk multiplayer RPG which is quite understandably popular in japan. Very likely there will be a whole new handheld in time, one that may have have a control layout similar to the Wii U Pro controller. All games would then have to be developed with that layout in mind. Now would not be the time for them to launch a new console either. in my eyes this is a standard nintendo move.

Oh also anyone else please that they redesigned the 3DS to be more like the 3DS XL? i never really like the boxy shape of the 3DS, though since I am an adult is was never really comfortable for me to hold all that well anyways.

in my eyes this is a standard nintendo move.

Well, they've been doing it since the mid 90s so you are right. I bet their next move is a new handheld, 2015-2016 would be my guess.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Well, they've been doing it since the mid 90s so you are right. I bet their next move is a new handheld, 2015-2016 would be my guess.

yea that would be my guess probably as well, more 2016 ish though.

Got excited about this until I saw it was jap exclusive :/ might buy one from there think it's time to upgrade from my dsi lol

Dont they are probably region locked!

The new analog stick seems a bit too small in these pictures and doesn't seem to be comfortable using but I'll would have to try it out. But overall it is a pretty good update on the 3DS. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Dont they are probably region locked!

Japan and Australia have the same region i buy games for 360 and stuff all the time.

Edit: also would probs end up getting an R4 for it anyway

Japan and Australia have the same region i buy games for 360 and stuff all the time.

Edit: also would probs end up getting an R4 for it anyway

Thats for DVDs (360 disc are based on DVD) BD stuff is different and nintendo has their own way of doing things at times.

Thats for DVDs maN (360 disc are based on DVD) BD stuff is different and nintendo has their own way of doing things at times.

Well i have full access to jap games anyway so.

I am curious about the new CPU... is it just a clock boost on the old ARMv6 that was in the 3DS to begin with, or is it perhaps an ARMv7? Cortex A7, maybe?