Nintendo Introduces Dual Analog (for ants) stick New 3DS/XL - Japan exclusive (possibly for now)

GoodBytes

All my life I've never seen analog used in place of analogue, and have seen analog historically referring to joysticks.

I've never seen analogue. Only analog. 

It looks like someone just added letters to the end for shits 'n' giggles.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I've never seen analogue. Only analog. 

It looks like someone just added letters to the end for shits 'n' giggles.

you mean dropped? :rolleyes:

Error: 410

I'd also assume they are testing the waters for how the second stick is received, size, placement, then for the next system (9th gen handheld) they have a slightly larger base -- where the buttons are.

I just bought a 3DS XL haha Nintendo stop with the "upgrades" please...  :P

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

That's great. When the 3DS first came out I just shook my head. There is literally a space right there beneath the buttons for a second analog stick. Thought it would be fixed in the new XL_ but nope. Still had to use the clunky add on.

Really nice that they've finally fixed it. I would have preferred a circle pad beneath the buttons, but who knows, this might work better.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

That's great. When the 3DS first came out I just shook my head. There is literally a space right there beneath the buttons for a second analog stick. Thought it would be fixed in the new XL_ but nope. Still had to use the clunky add on. Really nice that they've finally fixed it. I would have preferred a circle pad beneath the buttons, but who knows, this might work better.

The battery it the reason it can't be be done. It even though there appears to be enough room, there's no room inside of the machine there for a pad without making it thicker.

And the circle pad pro wasn't japan exclusive.... I bought mine at a local gamestop, all documentation in english.

I stand corrected. Fixed. Thanks

FINALLY

although weird design, why did they not just 2 full size circle pads and the ABXY buttons below?

That would be fantastic

Personally, I get it - Holding an XL or even an original 3DS with fingers on the d-pad and face buttons is much less stable than on the older DS, if they had a large circle pad on both sides and shifted the face buttons down it would mean holding on to the DS from the bottom only. Not to mention the fact that everyone is already used to the layout of the 3DS now and changing it would annoy plenty.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

How does this qualify as news?

How does it now?

The release of a new gaming device is definately news

news
njuːz
noun
newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent events.
"I've got some good news for you"
a broadcast or published report of news.
plural noun: the news
"he was back in the news again"
synonyms: report, announcement, story, account; More
informal
information not previously known to (someone).
"this was hardly news to her"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would get it if I could trade in my existing 3DS with only like a $20 upgrade fee, but not really worth it otherwise.

The only bad part about it is they've already announced one new game that is only compatible with the new version. I hope that doesn't happen often.

Reminds me of the little clit nob you used to get on laptops

That's what it was called?  No wonder I was so good at using it right out of the gate.

A tech form created by a Canadian with many North American and Euro members..and we get news of a Japanese only exclusive?

WHY?

I'd also assume they are testing the waters for how the second stick is received, size, placement, then for the next system (9th gen handheld) they have a slightly larger base -- where the buttons are.

Well for a start they're not Japan exclusive it's just launching there earlier. Japan gets them this year, everyone else is getting it in 2015. And also the way they were talking about it it's more like a full half-step between a console revision than just a cosmetic thing. There are going to be some games *exclusive* to this revision and they anounced the first (and only so far) title that will be exclusive. .... and it's Xenoblade.....

now I know my 3DS pretty well, no way it could do that.......... so.... yeah....... it's news

edit: also to add to the list of things the OP didn't mention user replaceable faceplates

Screen_Shot_2014-08-29_at_12.30.07.0.png

and "improved wireless"... which I assume means they're finally moving from g to n.... anyways, I'm kinda pissed because I got myself the special edition Zelda 3DS XL just last year. This new one looks pretty cool.

Edited by skywake

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

you mean dropped? :rolleyes:

No. I mean added. 

I see no purpose in the ue at the end of analogue. Or about as much purpose as there'd be for it to be at the end of log. i.e. logue. 

G makes that sound without the ue by default. The only reason I could imagine it be there is to make log "lawg" instead of "loge" changing the o from an "oh" to an "aw". Then I suppose I get it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

No. I mean added. 

I see no purpose in the ue at the end of analogue. Or about as much purpose as there'd be for it to be at the end of log. i.e. logue. 

G makes that sound without the ue by default. The only reason I could imagine it be there is to make log "lawg" instead of "loge" changing the o from an "oh" to an "aw". Then I suppose I get it.

The letters were never added, they were only dropped because English tends to like to simplify over time.

Even if there is no point to the ue, it should still be there to preserve the original word, or the ending without ue used when appropriate.

By that logic a lot of our spellings would be changed in favor of dropping letters that don't do much since a good chunk of English is Frankenstein'd together from imported tongue. (i.e. queue -> que)

Error: 410

FINALLY

although weird design, why did they not just 2 full size circle pads and the ABXY buttons below?

That would be fantastic

Because that's where the battery is. They'd have to make the unit significantly thicker to make it work.

Because that's where the battery is. They'd have to make the unit significantly thicker to make it work.

I am sure they can work it out

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I am sure they can work it out

If they can somehow alter the laws of physics, sure.

If they can somehow alter the laws of physics, sure.

No it would just cost too much in developing new boards and internal chassis to shrink the internals

No it would just cost too much in developing new boards and internal chassis to shrink the internals

Saying this without actually seeing the internals is just making guesses, and either way, even if that can be done, the thing is already twice the price it needs to be.

Nice but I just bought my 3ds 6 months ago,but if it comes out every else I will buy it.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

The letters were never added, they were only dropped because English tends to like to simplify over time.

Even if there is no point to the ue, it should still be there to preserve the original word, or the ending without ue used when appropriate.

By that logic a lot of our spellings would be changed in favor of dropping letters that don't do much since a good chunk of English is Frankenstein'd together from imported tongue. (i.e. queue -> que)

I see no purpose in preserving the original word though. 

I'm just saying. I fail to see why it was originally spelled that way to begin with. And I know, letters weren't added, they were dropped, but it looks like they were added since what is there seems so pointless.

Yeah. Exactly. Language evolves. It always has. That's why Grammar Nazis get on my nerves. They impede the evolution of it. I'm all for spelling queue as que, analogue as analog because it makes sense to me. Sure, we shouldn't forget our history, but I don't think that means not changing things for efficiency's sake. 

There was a word art video I saw once explaining this some time ago by some semi-famous actor guy who is sort of a poster child for "proper english" that talks about this. I can't find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate it if you'd link it. Thanks.

† Christian Member †