R9 285 & DX12

During AMD’s 30 Years of Graphics Event their product manager, Devon Nekechuk, confirmed that all AMD GPUs built on the Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture will support DirectX 12, Microsoft’s next generation multimedia API. This means that all graphics cards from the HD 7000 series and the Rx 2xx series will be able to support DirectX 12. APU users with Kaveri APUs will also be able to take advantage of DirectX 12 since Kaveri APUs are also built from GCN graphics. AMD is already up to date with DirectX as it offers DirectX 11.2 support for all its GCN products. AMD wasn’t too keen to push the support for DirectX given it is still working heavily on its rival API Mantle.

Source

If you watched the livestream you'd have heard this. If not, well now you have.

25095245230l.png

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

This is all common knowledge. 

I guess i'm not a simple commoner then.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I guess i'm not a simple commoner then.

well then; Microsoft has said Most if not all Gpus that support DX11.2  will support 12. 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

well then; Microsoft has said Most if not all Gpus that support DX11.2  will support 12. 

Well, the people who were unaware will know after checking this thread.

kthxbaii

Well, the people who were unaware will know after checking this thread.

kthxbaii

Lol this guy^ thinking newbies actually read threads and do research before they post their question on here.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

why all the negative comments already? I been searching(granted, not very hard) because It was RUMORED that anything supporting 11.2 would support 12, but what gpus that actually did where not confirmed. nice to know my 7950 is safe!

why all the negative comments already? I been searching(granted, not very hard) because It was RUMORED that anything supporting 11.2 would support 12, but what gpus that actually did where not confirmed. nice to know my 7950 is safe!

Pretty sure that AMD, Nvidia, and Intel all confirmed that their current GPUs support it at the announcement.

Lol this guy^ thinking newbies actually read threads and do research before they post their question on here.

Hey, I was a newbie and I always do research before posting.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

During AMD’s 30 Years of Graphics Event their product manager, Devon Nekechuk, confirmed that all AMD GPUs built on the Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture will support DirectX 12, Microsoft’s next generation multimedia API. This means that all graphics cards from the HD 7000 series and the Rx 2xx series will be able to support DirectX 12. APU users with Kaveri APUs will also be able to take advantage of DirectX 12 since Kaveri APUs are also built from GCN graphics. AMD is already up to date with DirectX as it offers DirectX 11.2 support for all its GCN products. AMD wasn’t too keen to push the support for DirectX given it is still working heavily on its rival API Mantle.

Source

If you watched the livestream you'd have heard this. If not, well now you have.

makes no sense, dx12 is a win for amd whether mantle dies or not! also they have changed the scope of mantle to be a exploratory api, so they can expose new features faster.

This is to be expected because the PC gaming userbase is so mainstream that the old ways of needing a new graphics card to utilize DX are not acceptable. This may have worked in the days before Twitter and Youtube reviewers, but when most gamers have at least some knowledge of PCs, the majority won't stand for needing to buy a new graphics card. Not when they're $200- $500 for the most part. It's hard to explain but hopefully you know what I mean.

edit: Maybe 15 years ago companies could force you to buy a new card because there wasn't much backlash against it and the PC gaming community didn't have much of a voice, but when your products go mainstream then you are subject to a lot more criticism and scrutiny. I think this is why AMD did this with their graphics cards and DX 12. Because if they didn't, they would not look very good.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

This is to be expected because the PC gaming userbase is so mainstream that the old ways of needing a new graphics card to utilize DX are not acceptable. This may have worked in the days before Twitter and Youtube reviewers, but when most gamers have at least some knowledge of PCs, the majority won't stand for needing to buy a new graphics card. Not when they're $200- $500 for the most part. It's hard to explain but hopefully you know what I mean.

For the TL;DR, we got tired of their bullshit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

For the TL;DR, we got tired of their bullshit.

^^^

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

This is all common knowledge. 

Kind of but not really,  AMD haven't been keen to announce this support becasue they are still pushing for mantle.

The company isn't drumming that up too loud, probably because it's developing an ecosystem for its own/competing AMD Mantle 3D API.

source: op's article.

Not only that but they would have to have waited for dx12 in order to properly test compatibility with their older cards.  They're hardly going to announce compatibility based only on MS claiming they will be.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Coool story and all fermi/kepler/maxwell will support it too,aka 400/500/600/700/800+ series.

The "announcement" amd made wants to make it sound like nvidia doesnt support doh.

Anyway who cares directx12 anyway, my mmorpg's wont ever get the tech goodies,still going into a town with more than 10-15 players and lagging? more single-thread unoptimized directx9 crap in mmo's plis x)

Edited by deviant88

Coool story and all fermi/kepler/maxwell will support it too,aka 400/500/600/700/800+ series.

The "announcement" amd made wants to make it sound like nvidia doesnt support doh.

Anyway who cares directx12 anyway, my mmorpg's wont ever get the tech goodies,still going into a town with more than 10-15 players and lagging? more single-thread unoptimized directx9 crap in mmo's plis x)

honestly, dx12, mantle and the new opengl, are a pretty darn good reason for MMO's to update their engines, current mmo's maybe wont support it but the ones in production now would be stupid not to

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Anyway who cares directx12 anyway,

people who put specs before real life experience maybe.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't follow tech news that much, so this was news to me. Thanks for the post!

I was about to say this. It makes me wish I went nVIDIA. My 6970's wont get DX12 but If I got 580's at the time they would've Heck even if I bought 4XX cards.

If 4XX nVIDIA cards can support it the only reason 5xxx and 6xxx AMD cards wont support it is because AMD CBF updating their drivers.

I've always been a pretty hard AMD/ATI fanboy but there is an ever growing list that makes me want to jump ship.

I'm a sad sally.

No Mantle, No DX12. C'mon Open GL!

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Well, at least I'm sure I'm ready for DX12... (This is one of the perks of going against the advice of someone who never used an AMD product...)

didnt they confirm this at the DX12 announcment event?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I don't know if you guys already knew about this but it's sort of a confirmation that DirectX 12 SHOULD support current cards according to specification... well at least for GCN cards according to the source.

Let's just hope they don't push out DX12 just for Windows 9.

I read about it in a page of a Sapphire R9 285 ITX edition

11235-06_R9_285_ITX_Compact_OC_2GBGDDR5_

I think it's pretty awesome. Just 1x8-pin power connector requirement just like MSI's and ASUS's own mini ITX version cards.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Repost. I already mentioned this in a thread the other day.

the HD 7000 series, and R series cards that support GCN architecture will support DirectX 12.