Apple's Reversible USB-Lightning Cable Unlikely for iPhone 6, but New Power Adapter Possible

Dietrichw

Source

post of the reversible USB cables surfacing 

Amid rumors of a new Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector and a redesigned power adapter from Apple, third-party vendor Moca.co is claiming that while the adapter may be ready for launch alongside the iPhone 6 next month, Apple is not yet ready to debut its new Lightning cable. Moca.co says that it is an MFi-certified vendor working with Apple's primary Lightning cable provider and that Apple has not yet placed any orders for the new cable.

According to Moca.co, the manufacturing partner has sent samples of the Lightning cable with reversible USB connector to Apple for approval, but Apple has yet to move forward with manufacturing orders. Even once it does, it will reportedly be several months before the cables are ready.

The redesigned power adapter may, however, be ready to launch with the iPhone 6, as Moca.co tells MacRumors the design has been confirmed and mass production is already underway. According to the report, the new adapter supports up to 2A of current, twice that of the current adapter shipping with the iPhone. The new adapter will reportedly be able to power all iPhone, iPod, and iPad mini models, with the redesign likely driven by the higher power requirements of the larger iPhone 6 models.

Get ready to have your wallets sucked dry #nomoneyzforsteamwintersale hopefully it won't be some cheap quality the is over-priced.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Looks like it will break after a couple days...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Looks like it will break after a couple days...

No change then :D

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

looks more fragle than micro and mini

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

develops new really cool product, makes it available only if you pay extra..... I wonder if EA learned from apple, or if apple learned from EA? ala sims 4 (we can't implement pools and toddlers because reasons! *we wanna charge your ass extra for it*)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I think the new tech is cool, but damn they change to much.. not hate on them but was a 50/50 chance to bad lmao 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

That video looks like a scam video to me for some reason.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Wow. Honestly, apple, we know your main userbase (notice i said main) is uninformed non-tech literate consumers, but come on. Surely even you expect them to be able to use a USB cable properly without fucking up somehow?

This is stupid. Coming at a time when we have a finalised design of a reversible USB connector replacing both the larger and smaller connectors, this is apple just fucking around. They waited years and years before using micro usb in their phones, as they promised to the eu - i.e. it still hasnt and wont happen, so surely they can wait and allow consumers a single fucking standard for once?

plz dont kill me, apple fans

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Wow. Honestly, apple, we know your main userbase (notice i said main) is uninformed non-tech literate consumers, but come on. Surely even you expect them to be able to use a USB cable properly without fucking up somehow?

This is stupid. Coming at a time when we have a finalised design of a reversible USB connector replacing both the larger and smaller connectors, this is apple just fucking around. They waited years and years before using micro usb in their phones, as they promised to the eu - i.e. it still hasnt and wont happen, so surely they can wait and allow consumers a single fucking standard for once?

Type C is going to take years to replace USB, if it ever does. You can't even buy products that have it, making Apple use a Type C connector is asking them to be the only people with Type C devices for awhile. That's worse than what you suggest as the alternative. If they used Type C and MacBooks were the only laptops with Type C for 18 months you'd be bitching about them using a new standard. I'm not sure why you're bitching about this, when you'd be absolutely ballistic if they were going Type C only with the iPhone 6.

There's no way to please you, not even if I tell you that THIS ISN'T EVEN A NEW DESIGN and that cable manufacturers have been doing this for years. Also acting like you've never put in a USB cable the wrong way is not going to fool anyone and given the fact that it improves the usability of a product in a relatively simple way, why not do it?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Looks like they put a bit of force for the second side, I wonder if it is the person or the device. Also why has it taken so long for someone to do this?

Type C is going to take years to replace USB, if it ever does. You can't even buy products that have it, making Apple use a Type C connector is asking them to be the only people with Type C devices for awhile. That's worse than what you suggest as the alternative. If they used Type C and MacBooks were the only laptops with Type C for 18 months you'd be bitching about them using a new standard. I'm not sure why you're bitching about this, when you'd be absolutely ballistic if they were going Type C only with the iPhone 6.

There's no way to please you, not even if I tell you that THIS ISN'T EVEN A NEW DESIGN and that cable manufacturers have been doing this for years. Also acting like you've never put in a USB cable the wrong way is not going to fool anyone and given the fact that it improves the usability of a product in a relatively simple way, why not do it?

Hang on, so a standard which we know is going to have widespread adoption (out of necessity) is somehow a worse choice than making up a new one?

And why the fuck would i go ballistic over the iphone using a proper standard? I seriously don't see your point.

When apple released the 30 pin to lightning adapter, it was one proprietary port to another. If USB type C was used, no one could possibly complain.

Not to mention, this whole article is about the delays to said reversible USB cable. Like i said, apple are the kings of waiting. It would be far more user friendly to adhere to a unified standard than to fragment the ecosystem.

But then again that doesnt really apply here. My problem here is that apple cables are notorious for being shitty quality and breaking. Why the fuck would they introduce a more fragile design?

You can't put a USB cable in the wrong way. You can only despair that you did not look at the USB symbol on every fricking cable there is and match it up to the port. Even apple do this.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Why are people having issues with this? It fits into a normal usb port, there is nothing propitiatory about it, obviously its a lighning cable, and will cost the same as previous lightning cables

I am not sure I understand the issue

I did not expect them to go USB type C with the iPhone 6 as the phone was most likely developed before Apple were given the full specs to the new cable, and its far beyond the point of it being implemented as they will have to alter the phone which is in production!!

Not sure why this is an issue at all, its just a better design than before

You can't put a USB cable in the wrong way. You can only despair that you did not look at the USB symbol on every fricking cable there is and match it up to the port. Even apple do this.

Not all USB ports are labelled, and some are horizontal which is even more difficult

It is not that plugging USB in is difficult, it just should not even be one sided, it makes no sense, all connectors should be reversible, usb is not the only culprit

Actually I hate HDMI more, plugging in HDMI is an absolute bitch, especially when they are placed in stupid places and weird angles behind massive tvs and you spend about 30 years trying to get it in, only to realise that they are backwards on this TV for some reason

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why are people having issues with this? It fits into a normal usb port, there is nothing propitiatory about it, obviously its a lighning cable, and will cost the same as previous lightning cables

I am not sure I understand the issue

I did not expect them to go USB type C with the iPhone 6 as the phone was most likely developed before Apple were given the full specs to the new cable, and its far beyond the point of it being implemented as they will have to alter the phone which is in production!!

Not sure why this is an issue at all, its just a better design than before

Not all USB ports are labelled, and some are horizontal which is even more difficult

It is not that plugging USB in is difficult, it just should not even be one sided, it makes no sense, all connectors should be reversible, usb is not the only culprit

Actually I hate HDMI more, plugging in HDMI is an absolute bitch, especially when they are placed in stupid places and weird angles behind massive tvs and you spend about 30 years trying to get it in, only to realise that they are backwards on this TV for some reason

Have you ever had a usb connector break? not the cable, but the connector. I certainly havnt in my many years of abusing them. Micro USB, mini usb, 30 pin and recently a lightning connector for my ipad - all broken. Its about stability and reliability, shown by the fact they have lasted so long. Type C is said to be as stable and reliable as Type A, we will have to wait and see, but i can guarantee that removing the plastic in the middle to make it reversible will only hinder stability and reliability.

Have you ever had a usb connector break? not the cable, but the connector. I certainly havnt in my many years of abusing them. Micro USB, mini usb, 30 pin and recently a lightning connector for my ipad - all broken. Its about stability and reliability, shown by the fact they have lasted so long. Type C is said to be as stable and reliable as Type A, we will have to wait and see, but i can guarantee that removing the plastic in the middle to make it reversible will only hinder stability and reliability.

I have never had an iPhone or iPad connector break, I had one iPhone 30 pin cable break but I ran over it with a chair and after a few weeks the rubber had snapped and it was bare wire showing so I chucked it, I have never had the actual connector part break, only the rubber cable bit, but that can happen to any cable even something with solid steel ends

I have only ever broken one mini USB cable actually, it was plugged into a device that I sat on and the end broke ><

I agree type C is better, but I assume the iPhone 6 hardware was developed well before type c was fully announced, and it would cost a lot of time and money to go back and alter the iPhone especially after they have started production

Hard to say if its less reliable (the usb A end anyway), the plastic is still there btw, this is a reversible USB B cable

ur022003-front_1160-100155451-orig.png

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have never had an iPhone or iPad connector break, I had one iPhone 30 pin cable break but I ran over it with a chair and after a few weeks the rubber had snapped and it was bare wire showing so I chucked it, I have never had the actual connector part break, only the rubber cable bit, but that can happen to any cable even something with solid steel ends

I have only ever broken one mini USB cable actually, it was plugged into a device that I sat on and the end broke ><

I agree type C is better, but I assume the iPhone 6 hardware was developed well before type c was fully announced, and it would cost a lot of time and money to go back and alter the iPhone especially after they have started production

Hard to say if its less reliable (the usb A end anyway), the plastic is still there btw, this is a reversible USB B cable

ur022003-front_1160-100155451-orig.png

Yeah, i know what it looks like. I do hope you realised that my initial comment was half joking, as noted by the whole apple fans dont kill me thing?

Like i said, this can only hinder stability and reliability. It is dirt cheap for a USB connector because they have been standard for so long. Even if apple don't increase their already extortionate cable price, this will confuse people buying third party. It's unnecessary.

It just makes me wonder, who the fuck struggles with a USB connector?

who the fuck struggles with a USB connector?

Me

It is not really that none-reversible is hard, none-reversible is just stupid, there is no valid reason for a USB connector to NOT be reversible, if they are making a new standard, they might as well make it reversible 

There is literally NO argument against reversible cables that I find acceptable

I think the new tech is cool, but damn they change to much.. not hate on them but was a 50/50 chance to bad lmao 

In daylight, the odds are 50/50, but I swear, whenever you try to plug it in at night when its dark, its like 80/20.

usb-4D.png

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

In daylight, the odds are 50/50, but I swear, whenever you try to plug it in at night when its dark, its like 80/20.

I like how with force you can actually plug in a USB cable upside down anyway, and it just doesnt work

This has happened a few times >< 

Me

It is not really that none-reversible is hard, none-reversible is just stupid, there is no valid reason for a USB connector to NOT be reversible, if they are making a new standard, they might as well make it reversible 

There is literally NO argument against reversible cables that I find acceptable

They are making a new standard. It is reversible.

They are making a new standard. It is reversible.

I am 500% aware of this

looking forward to get this iPhone 6 LOL :D

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Hang on, so a standard which we know is going to have widespread adoption (out of necessity) is somehow a worse choice than making up a new one?

And why the fuck would i go ballistic over the iphone using a proper standard? I seriously don't see your point.

When apple released the 30 pin to lightning adapter, it was one proprietary port to another. If USB type C was used, no one could possibly complain.

Not to mention, this whole article is about the delays to said reversible USB cable. Like i said, apple are the kings of waiting. It would be far more user friendly to adhere to a unified standard than to fragment the ecosystem.

But then again that doesnt really apply here. My problem here is that apple cables are notorious for being shitty quality and breaking. Why the fuck would they introduce a more fragile design?

Everyone would fucking complain because there isn't a single device using Type C right now. Are you high? Seriously.

Apple DID NOT MAKE UP A NEW STANDARD, PC manufacturers have been doing this for years. This is a far better solution than Type C for the time being, you're literally the only person that thinks it's a good idea to implement a standard that was ratified only a month ago and that we are not sure will enter widespread adoption. Next year it might be Type C. But it's simply ludicrous to suggest that using Type C right now would be better. You fail to address how they are fragmenting the ecosystem by going with an ALREADY ESTABLISHED STANDARD rather than using one that barely exists thus far. You wouldn't be able to fucking sync an iPhone with a Type C connector, how dense are you? Furthermore, this ISN'T A PROPRIETARY PORT! The Lightning connector absolutely is, but this fits in every single fucking USB slot since 1.1, yet you think they are fragmenting the ecosystem more?

I can't even believe I'm having this conversation. I'm not sure there's a single person on this forum that agrees with you, maybe Lawlz but even then he's pretty standards focused.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Everyone would fucking complain because there isn't a single device using Type C right now. Are you high? Seriously.

Apple DID NOT MAKE UP A NEW STANDARD, PC manufacturers have been doing this for years. This is a far better solution than Type C for the time being, you're literally the only person that thinks it's a good idea to implement a standard that was ratified only a month ago and that we are not sure will enter widespread adoption. Next year it might be Type C. But it's simply ludicrous to suggest that using Type C right now would be better. You fail to address how they are fragmenting the ecosystem by going with an ALREADY ESTABLISHED STANDARD rather than using one that barely exists thus far. You wouldn't be able to fucking sync an iPhone with a Type C connector, how dense are you? Furthermore, this ISN'T A PROPRIETARY PORT! The Lightning connector absolutely is, but this fits in every single fucking USB slot since 1.1, yet you think they are fragmenting the ecosystem more?

I can't even believe I'm having this conversation. I'm not sure there's a single person on this forum that agrees with you, maybe Lawlz but even then he's pretty standards focused.

First of all, way to go mentioning Lawlz on something he hasn't commented on, and assuming his opinion is in line with mine. Great attitude.

The USB type C connector is going to have widespread adoption out of necessity. A replacement to the ageing micro and mini usb standards is needed, and it just so happens that they want to replace Type A as well. When pretty much all finalised designs of USB have gained fair adoption, how can you say this, which replaces pretty much everything with a better solution, is not going to?

I didnt mention fragmenting at all. No idea where you got that from. I mentioned being user-friendly. my argument is solely that apple cables, notorious for falling apart, don't need a more fragile (by nature) design.

Notice, as i mentioned previously, my initial comment was pretty much a joke.

Also, where did you get the idea that type-c would not sync an iphone? Not heard that before.