U.S. Court Grants Order to Wipe Pirate Sites from the Internet

dlf

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-court-wants-search-engines-remove-pirate-sites-140818/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29

A U.S. federal court in Oregon has granted a broad injunction against several streaming sites that offer pirated content. Among other things, the copyright holder may order hosting companies to shut down the sites' servers, ask registrars to take away domain names, and have all search results removed from Google and other search engines.The entertainment industries often complain that they have virtually no means to target pirate sites, especially those run from overseas. This grim outlook isn’t shared by the operators of ABS-CBN, the largest media and entertainment company in the Philippines, who filed a lawsuit against several unauthorized streaming sites at a District Court in Oregon.

Good luck with that . . .

does this directly contradict the bill of rights where one has the right to face their accuser?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

aw hell. content creators just need to give us what we want in an easy simple fashion with out the BS. <---- this and we will be happy. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

does this directly contradict the bill of rights where one has the right to face their accuser?

I'm sure they will gladly see you in court.

I'm sure they will gladly see you in court.

But they want to have you found guilty and punished before you even know you are being sued, ergo refusing you the right to face your accuser.   If this is the way it reads to me, then the US can get fucked, their legal system is failing monumentally. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

aw hell. content creators just need to give us what we want in an easy simple fashion with out the BS. <---- this and we will be happy. 

For a reasonable price. That's a big part of it. I'm not paying $20 for a movie that I will watch once or twice spending 5 hours of my time on. Renting it for that time at a cheaper price is worse, not better imo.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

post-14387-0-26606100-1408401412.gif

post-14387-0-26606100-1408401412.gif

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

all i can say, A for effort!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Just to add a bit of detail to this thread, (from the same source as cited above)

In short, ABS-CBN requested power to take the sites offline before the owners knew that they were getting sued, and without a chance to defend themselves. While that may seem a lot to ask, Judge Anna Brown granted the request.

“Upon Plaintiffs’ request, those with actual notice of the injunction, including any Internet search engines, Web hosts, domain-name registrars, and domain name registries or their administrators, shall cease facilitating access to any or all domain names and websites…,” the order reads.
The court also ordered the domain name registrars to point the domains to a copy of the complaint, so the website owners would know why their sites had been wiped from the Internet. Further, to prevent the defendants from passing on Google traffic to a new domain, ABS-CBN was granted permission to access the Google Webmaster Tools of the defendants.

The preliminary injunction is unique in its kind, both due to its broadness and the fact that it happened without due process. This has several experts worried, including EFF’s Intellectual Property Director Corynne McSherry.
“It’s very worrisome that a court would issue a rapid and broad order affecting speech based on allegations, without careful consideration and an opportunity for the targets to defend themselves,” McSherry tells TorrentFreak.
In addition to the restraining order, Judge Brown also granted ABS-CBN’s request to freeze all financial assets of the defendants until further notice. The defendants were given the option to appeal both orders after they were issued, but it’s unknown whether they have done so.

So basically, the judge granted the suers permission to take down the accused domains, redirect them to a copy of the court order, change their Google Webmasters tools (to prevent them redirecting the search results to a new domain), and possibly also freeze their financial assets before they are aware that they are being sued, and certainly before they have had a fair trial.

This is absolutely absurd and surely illegal, if not unconstitutional - they have not been granted access to a fair trial prior to being punished, especially as it is possible that the case will find them not guilty (I don't know what the laws there regarding such websites are).

HTTP/2 203

Just so the foreigners know, US law is largely based on precedent. If other Judges before you did something that you are now going to do, it's considered less risky basically. At least in regards to interpretation (i.e. "this part of the constituation means [this] as opposed to [that].")

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

To whichever moron that came up with this bullshit:

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Anyone that understands the internet as something more than just a magic cloud knows that this isn't going to work.

Seriously good luck to the poor souls that will be tasked with accomplishing this. I almost feel sorry for them :P

Good luck with that

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

This is bad why is everyone happy?

Because the assholes behind this case will be wasting resources doing something that will never succeed. Especially that something is bad and impossible to do entirely.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Where did Net Neutrality go? Also, when the fuck did the US government buy the internet? And finally:

tumblr_mcv5mwvgXE1qapz3uo1_1280.jpg

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

On a related/unrelated note, the content from ABS-CBN is far from what I'd call gold. But being shits like this is just shitty (Referring to ABS-CBN).

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

It's ABS-CBN (one of the more conservative TV channels in the Philippines)... Never liked 'em, never will...

Basically the goal is to lock-in people to their streaming service via their mobile network (locally)...

Unfortunately, they'll just be shooting themselves in the foot when they discover that a lot of their international popularity comes from what they want to stop...

On a related/unrelated note, the content from ABS-CBN is far from what I'd call gold. But being shits like this is just shitty (Referring to ABS-CBN).

You haven't seen anything yet...

It's ABS-CBN (one of the more conservative TV channels in the Philippines)... Never liked 'em, never will...

Basically the goal is to lock-in people to their streaming service via their mobile network (locally)...

Unfortunately, they'll just be shooting themselves in the foot when they discover that a lot of their international popularity comes from what they want to stop...

I'd disagree with you on the conservative part, but then again, we don't have a real Liberal Party to begin with.

And this doesn't help them at all, seeing as they'll be wasting time and energy on a fight that can't be won, while receiving the ire of numerous individuals from various countries, ideological backgrounds, and walks of life. Including Filipinos who haven't bought into the bullshit that they have either peddled or offered (The Metro Manila Film Festival has been a wreck, especially last year's).

I'd disagree with you on the conservative part, but then again, we don't have a real Liberal Party to begin with.

And this doesn't help them at all, seeing as they'll be wasting time and energy on a fight that can't be won, while receiving the ire of numerous individuals from various countries, ideological backgrounds, and walks of life. Including Filipinos who haven't bought into the bullshit that they have either peddled or offered (The Metro Manila Film Festival has been a wreck, especially last year's).

Never seen a MMFF with half-decent, big-name, sponored titles... Usually dominated by half-assed comedies...

I can say that they're more conservative, compared to GMA and TV5...

Still, tis a losing battle... The best way to eliminate piracy (imo) is to make things as accessible to as many people as possible, ignoring territorial and lingual boundaries while keeping prices low enough for people to be enticed to buy...